Hayagriva mantra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
devilyoudont

Hayagriva mantra

Post by devilyoudont »

Is there a Hayagriva mantra that does not require empowerment? I know he's an esoteric deity, but I'm asking on the off chance there is such a thing. There's one mantra listed here: http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/k ... html#batou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the right, but I know nothing about it and can't make out its Sanskrit form, if any.
conebeckham

Re: Hayagriva mantra

Post by conebeckham »

I don't think so.
Also don't recognize that mantra, from the Japanese....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Oh well, it was a silly idea anyway. (praying for an animal :pig: )

Thanks.
eijo

Post by eijo »

devilyoudont wrote:Is there a Hayagriva mantra that does not require empowerment? I know he's an esoteric deity, but I'm asking on the off chance there is such a thing. There's one mantra listed here: http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/k ... html#batou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the right, but I know nothing about it and can't make out its Sanskrit form, if any.
The Sanskrit for the mantra you saw on that page (Japanese reading incorrectly given there) is

Oṃ amṛtodbhava hūṃ phaṭ svāhā.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

devilyoudont wrote:Is there a Hayagriva mantra that does not require empowerment? I know he's an esoteric deity, but I'm asking on the off chance there is such a thing.
The Hayagriva mantra is in the following sutra, available for all public:

Taisho Tripitaka Indian Compilation
T20 Esoteric Teachings Division III
1184. The Dharma of Sequential Liturgy of the Eight Syllable Dharani for Cultivating the Mandala by the Great Sage, Wonderfully Auspicious Bodhisattva
1185. a. The Buddha Speaks of the Sutra of Manjushuri's Dharanis of His Dharma Jeweled Treasury
b. Manjushuri's Dharanis of His Dharma Jeweled Treasury

...so I don't think one has to be specially empowered to use this mantra. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The version of Sanskrit transliteration that I have come across is:
Om, amṛtod-bhava hūṃ phaṭ
Very similar to eijo's one.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

devilyoudont wrote:Oh well, it was a silly idea anyway. (praying for an animal :pig: )

Thanks.
I think the Horse-head Hayagriva is a manifestation of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva that has just taken a form involving a symbol of an animal. There is some difference between praying to that and praying to an actualy animal.

You actually typed "praying for an animal". And I don't see what is wrong with that. Just like we can pray for a person or a deceased relative, so can we pray for an animal, or any sentient beings for that matter.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Thanks, all. :bow:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”