So

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
White Lotus

So

Post by White Lotus »

So

any comments, insight and advice on this little word... appreciated. ps, interested not in the English So, but the original pali, or sanscrit renderings.

love, White Lotus. xxx

so far it seems to represent integrity, wholeness. all things are so, but not not all things do so?

:thinking:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
ground

Re: So

Post by ground »

So what? ;)
White Lotus

Re: So

Post by White Lotus »

understanding the contents of a word, sooner or later the word may be lost or forgotten, as so with any realisation, but in the process of understanding the word, one is transformed, according to ones understanding of the word.

'so', is like the hwa daos, 'yes' and 'no'. it is in my opinion fundamentally important, since it represents an enlightened form of judgement. as well as purity, wholeness and truth. words that in the ordinary scheme of mahayana dharma for some loose meaning and are replaced by a non-judgemental 'whatever'.

if one is journeying on the spiral, non judgement is a phase one passes through and returns to again and again. sameness of everything becomes emptiness of everything, which becomes... who knows... neither yes nor no and yet still yes and no. no yes, no no. yes yes, yes no. emptiness having collapsed and awareness extinct. one has seen the sameness of all things beyond judgement. one has gone beyond sameness and empty awareness. to non awareness which is complete awareness. and yet... it still misses things in the mundane (but not the fundamental).

all i can say is So. but i am free to use yes and no. infact after one has realised non judgement, one still is complelled to judge in the mundane and to use no and yes, though when he examines there is no no nor yes. only the appearance of no and yes.

"So what?" (English usage of so), 'Whatever' just wont do. "so what?" just wont do.

So!

:)
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”