Non-Tibetan Mahasiddha lineages?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
underthetree

Non-Tibetan Mahasiddha lineages?

Post by underthetree »

This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?

The question arises from another question: how might one practice in the original manner of the Mahasiddhas? My - very loose - lineage affilication is with Drikung Kagyu and so the lineage is from Tilopa. But... I've never felt completely at one with the Tibetan context. I don't find I have any significant connection to Padmasambhava, for instance, and so I always feel a little bit fraudulent saying the Seven Line Prayer - meanwhile I understand that this prayer is of fundamental importance to Tibetan Vajrayana and so from a practice point of view it's a dilemma for me. Who would an Indian follower of, say, Tilopa have supplicated as the Guru? Vajradhara, I suppose, but exactly how?

If someone could point me in the direction of some Indian Vajrayana resources from the early Middle Ages I'd be truly grateful.

I'm posting this in the general Mahayana forum - if a moderator thinks it belongs somewhere else, please move accordingly.

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
conebeckham

Re: Non-Tibetan Mahasiddha lineages?

Post by conebeckham »

First off, Padmasambhava was not Tibetan.......perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

Secondly, look to Nepal for that which you seek, young padawan! :smile:

Seriously, there are extant Vajrayana lineages in Nepal, going back to the Mahasiddhas....Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, they're all there. Ive seen a group of wandering sadhakas, chanting in Sanskrit, with harmoniums, two-headed drums, etc. Their practice is quite beautiful.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

First off, Padmasambhava was not Tibetan.......perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

Absolutely. It's just that Padmasambhava has come to represent Tibetan Buddhism while - as far as I know - having no (remembered) impact on the Indian scene. If that isn't true then obviously a big part of my question is answered...
Secondly, look to Nepal for that which you seek, young padawan!
I've never used an emoticon before in my life, but :namaste: Of course: Nepal. And I think it's true that there are still Buddhist Naths there as well.
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

conebeckham wrote:Seriously, there are extant Vajrayana lineages in Nepal, going back to the Mahasiddhas....Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, they're all there. Ive seen a group of wandering sadhakas, chanting in Sanskrit, with harmoniums, two-headed drums, etc. Their practice is quite beautiful.
Are these Newar lineages?

Best wishes
Lars
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Are these Newar lineages?
That was going to be my next question.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I believe they were Newari, yes...but I cannot confirm that. I saw them near Pharping, years ago (before it was so developed)--and was told by someone that they were Vajrayana Buddhists practicing a Vajrayogini puja....

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Say what?

That's just wrong.
There are scads of practices where one visualizes particular gurus-Padmasambhava, Milarepa, the 2nd, 8th, 16th Karmapa and many others...and these practices are most definitely confined to monasteries.
Last edited by conebeckham on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

conebeckham wrote:I believe they were Newari, yes...but I cannot confirm that. I saw them near Pharping, years ago (before it was so developed)--and was told by someone that they were Vajrayana Buddhists practicing a Vajrayogini puja....
Was it this place?

They are Newari and as the story goes Naropa taught the family many centuries ago a tantra which they still maintain to this day.

If you didn't know it was Buddhist, you would think it was Hindu. Their manner of offering with rice is apparently quite similar to how some Hindus do it.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

underthetree wrote:This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?
Shingon in Japan and now in Taiwan traces their lineage back to India through China. You have figures like Amoghavajra, Huiguo and Kukai as representative attained yogis. However, it is far removed from the original Indian cultural sphere.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....

Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

conebeckham wrote:I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....
There is also the Padmasambhava caves nearby. One with his purported hand-print and the other down the road a bit.

There is an ancient Vajrayogini shrine inside the building displayed in the above photo. It is normally locked up, but if you ask them they can open it for you.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

As a Vajrayogini practitioner I have to make the pilgrimage to Nepal at some point.

It does seem to me that Nepal is ground zero for syncretic religion. Naths, Shaivites, Vajrayana, Mahayana, all cross-pollinating. Are any of these Newari sadhanas in print, or available in English on the web? It would be intriguing to compare them to the Tibetan ones.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Huseng wrote:
conebeckham wrote:I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....
There is also the Padmasambhava caves nearby. One with his purported hand-print and the other down the road a bit.

There is an ancient Vajrayogini shrine inside the building displayed in the above photo. It is normally locked up, but if you ask them they can open it for you.
Yep. I've been to all those places--it's an amazing area. The inside of that shrine is a "must-see" for Vajrayogini practitioners, for sure!

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote:
underthetree wrote:This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?
Shingon in Japan and now in Taiwan traces their lineage back to India through China. You have figures like Amoghavajra, Huiguo and Kukai as representative attained yogis. However, it is far removed from the original Indian cultural sphere.
I thought Shingon maintained the transmission as Kukai taught it and that his transmission was essentially the same as the Chinese had received from India?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote:

Is this the main Vajrayogini shrine in the valleys outside of Kathmandhu?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Huseng wrote:

I wonder if Shugendo might also be relevant to the discussion: ascetic yogis largely outside the mainstream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shugend%C5%8D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

My friend Yeshe Dorje has spent 40 some years in Nepal, mostly in retreat. He is currently the caretaker at Chatral Rinpoche's retreat center at Godawari. Last visit to the U.S., he mentioned that there are some really good Newari Vajrayana practitioners in Nepal. That's saying something coming from him. He does not offer Dharma praise easily. So, if you're looking for non-Tibetan Buddhist tantric lineages, definitely consider a long stay in Nepal. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote: I thought Shingon maintained the transmission as Kukai taught it and that his transmission was essentially the same as the Chinese had received from India?

Kirt
Modifications can be expected.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote: Is this the main Vajrayogini shrine in the valleys outside of Kathmandhu?

Kirt
I think so. It is quite ancient and dates back to Naropa as I was told.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

conebeckham wrote:Say what?

That's just wrong.
There are scads of practices where one visualizes particular gurus-Padmasambhava, Milarepa, the 2nd, 8th, 16th Karmapa and many others...and these practices are most definitely confined to monasteries.

Ugh. Should have been "these practices are most definitely NOTconfined to monasteries.
Dang iPhone. Shouldn't post at the gym. :smile:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”