Seperate reincarnated bodies

General forum on Mahayana.

Seperate reincarnated bodies

Postby sinweiy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:01 am

what do you think of this idea regarding reincarnating into multiple bodies? Like in the movie "Little Buddha", Lama Dorje.

"Little Buddha is a story about the quest of a group of monks, led by Lama Norbu (Ruocheng Ying), to seek out the reincarnation of his great Buddhist teacher, Lama Dorje (Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen). Lama Norbu and his fellow monks believe they have found a candidate of Dorje's reincarnation within a boy named Jesse Conrad (Alex Wiesendanger) in Seattle....

...In the end, it is found that all three children are reincarnations of the Lama Dorje, separate manifestations of his body (Raju), speech (Gita), and mind (Jesse). His reincarnation represents the three most important aspects of life. "
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107426/synopsis

do you find it hard to grasp?
at first it was quite strange, but not any more.
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
sinweiy

Re: Seperate reincarnated bodies

Postby Adamantine » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 am

This idea corresponds to powers attributed to the nirmanakaya of an advanced bodhisattva: the ability to emanate multiple forms to benefit beings according to their needs. This has become a convention in the tulku system of Tibetan Buddhism, where sometimes there will be a separate body, speech, mind, and sometimes activity emanation. These are generally considered to be, or translated as "emanations" not strictly "reincarnations". Reincarnation implies transmigration, embodiment.. a nirmanakaya is a bit different, like compassionate illusory displays of enlightened intent. .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism