Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

General forum on Mahayana.

Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:18 pm

On the subject of conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta, do you see a difference among traditions?

Best,
Laura :)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby catmoon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm

The bodhicittas should be the same, the difference would be in what you think you are applying the bodhicitta to. Hardly worth bothering about, compared to the importance of practicing, either way.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby Huifeng » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:26 am

LauraJ wrote:On the subject of conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta, do you see a difference among traditions?

Best,
Laura :)


It pay to first establish clearly what traditions say these things are, before asking about a difference.
For instance, does every school actually make a distinction that there are two types of bodhicitta in the first place?
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:35 am

Huifeng wrote:
LauraJ wrote:On the subject of conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta, do you see a difference among traditions?

Best,
Laura :)


It pay to first establish clearly what traditions say these things are, before asking about a difference.
For instance, does every school actually make a distinction that there are two types of bodhicitta in the first place?


Very good question, I'll think on it.

Thanks you Venerable :)

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby ground » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:30 am

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
Huifeng wrote:
LauraJ wrote:On the subject of conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta, do you see a difference among traditions?

Best,
Laura :)


It pay to first establish clearly what traditions say these things are, before asking about a difference.
For instance, does every school actually make a distinction that there are two types of bodhicitta in the first place?


Very good question, ...

Indeed. Convention is the basis of all traditions and every tradition has its own convention ;)
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

Re: Conventional bodhicitta and ultimate bodhicitta

Postby ground » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 am

TMingyur wrote:Convention is the basis of all traditions and every tradition has its own convention


Example (hypothesis):
The "ultimate bodhicitta" of madhyamaka is the only "bodhicitta" that is "known" in the context of Dzogchen.

Kind regards
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am


Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Inge, Sherab Dorje and 14 guests

>