Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

General forum on Mahayana.

Re: Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Postby Will » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 pm

A biographical sketch of Master by a disciple of his:

http://www.dharmasite.net/ContributionsofVM.htm
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby thunderbumble » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:32 am

The King of All Dharmas is the one word "Amitabha."
The five periods and the eight teachings are all contained within it.
One who single-mindedly remembers and recites his name
In samadhi will enter the Thus Come Ones' place of quiescence.

The King of All Dharmas is the one word "Amitabha."/ The five periods and the eight teachings are all contained within it. The teachings are arranged in eight categories, four according to the nature of the teaching: the storehouse teaching, the connecting teaching, the special teaching, and the perfect teaching; and four according to the methods of teaching: sudden, gradual, secret, and unfixed. The five periods are: The Avatamsaka, Agama, Vaipulya, Prajna, and Lotus-Nirvana. These eight teachings and five periods are all included in the one word "Amitabha."

One who single-mindedly remembers and recites his name / In samadhi will enter the Thus Come One's place of quiescence. Such a one will definitely go to the Pure Land of Eternal Stillness and Light, the Land of Ultimate Bliss. Living beings in the Dharma-ending Age will be saved by reciting the Buddha's name. And so whoever hopes to be saved should be mindful of the Buddha.

Speak one sentence less;
Recite the Buddha's name one time more.
Beat your thoughts to death,
And let your Dharma-body come alive.
Don't look lightly on the Dharma-door of reciting the Buddha's name.
Contemplate at All Times and Reflect Well .

Zen and tripitaka master Hsuan Hua
The Buddha taught

So, bhikkhus, you should train in this way: The heart-deliverance of loving-kindness will be maintained in being and made much of by us, used as our vehicle, used as our foundation, established, consolidated, and properly managed. That is how you should train
Samyutta Nikaya 20:3
thunderbumble

Postby JKhedrup » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:35 am

Unfortunately his centers, at least the one in San Francisco doesn't seem very open to non Asians. I am white, practice pure land at home and have tried to go there but felt not very welcome. Any ideas why?

The makeup of that centre seems to be largely elderly Chinese people so I think it could be a language issue. The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas north of SF is more multilingual and I found the people quite welcoming
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby Will » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 pm

An interesting comment regarding planet earth:

"The world is a huge organism. Most people think the earth itself is insentient. Actually it is the transformation body [nirmanakaya] of a great Bodhisattva."
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Will » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:24 am

A multi-part (keep clicking on Next) autobiography by Master Hua: http://www.cttbusa.org/master_hsuanhua/life_events.htm
Will

Postby Pureland123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:32 pm

CTTB in Ukiah has a protecting lives program on the big holidays where you can donate money to buy turtles and set them free

Namo Amitabha, Pureland123
Pureland123

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 pm

In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Previous

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism