Question about Mind Only School

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kunsang

Question about Mind Only School

Post by Kunsang »

Hello, does anyone knows if from the Mind only School, do the Followers of the Scriptures and Followers of Reasoning accept the self-knower consciousness? I know the first accept the consciousness bases of all and the afflicted consciousness and three final vehicles, whilst the second one doesn't accept those two consciousness and only one final vehicle, but what about the self knower? Is it common to all the Cittamatra schools?
Kunsang

Re: Question about Mind Only School

Post by Kunsang »

ok, I just found in Cutting Through Appearances by Geshe Lhundup Sopa that all the Cittamatras accept the 4 kinds of self-knower, just in case someone is curious to know the answer. :reading:
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

yeah all schools accept self-cognition except for vaibhashika (who dont count anyway) and the unique Gelugpas. svatantrika middleway that leans towards sautantika (ie. Bhavaviveka / Sakyas) accept self-perception for correct awareness but not for ordinary cognition
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

the self knower.
''The transcendent intelligence attained intuitively by the tathagatas by their self realization of noble wisdom is a realization of their self nature.'' (Lankavatara Sutra).

in order to attain and perceive non duality there must be a complete dissolving of the individual ego first.

the Buddha nature is a form of self, emptiness is a form of self, a knower, however even own nature is impermanent (contradictory to some scriptures). (see teaching about the great icchantika, master keizan's transmission of the lamp. )

emptiness/own nature/universal mind talk is most important, rather than talk about universal mind its more specific to talk about emptiness and the awareness that perceives it. awareness can be seen as the self knower. the pupil within the circle of emptiness.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”