Benefits of Nagarjuna / Dangers of Existence & Non-Existence

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
conebeckham

Re: Benefits of Nagarjuna / Dangers of Existence & Non-Existence

Post by conebeckham »

Where I differ is on the grounds of common experience. And I think illusory is a horrible world. What about mass murder is illusory? Sure, the "mind" thinks it's murdering, and "minds" think they are witnessing others dying, but it's still mass murder.
Mass Murder is illusory. So is following the path of Buddha.

Saying that "it's only mind" in no way relieves one of having to experience the causes and results of such actions. In our experience, it is not "somehow less real" if one understands the primacy of mind. Nor does the experience of the unfindability of existence obviate ethical discipline.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

conebeckham wrote:In our experience, it is not "somehow less real" if one understands the primacy of mind. Nor does the experience of the unfindability of existence obviate ethical discipline.
But it's not just the issue of "mind" but "minds." There is a certain cohesiveness about common experience. For example, this very discussion: I see your words, you see mine, we have a record of what's been said and what's not been said, we can agree that we're having this discussion, etc.. If we can come to that agreement, what makes this discussion not real? How can two minds miles apart cooperate in the same illusion?

What about 9/11 is illusory?

What about 10,000 fans attending an Elton John concert is either karmic or illusory?
Cantankerous Buddha
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Sentient Beings are Illusory, too.
So is this discussion.

Nevertheless, it appears, while having no existence.
Only a Fully Enlightened Buddha can comprehend the various workings of Karma, etc., but it should be noted that this conversation, and these sentient beings, can only appear precisely because they do not exist.

If you're interested in "conventional existence," shared Karma, Etc., I suppose "Abidharama" would be the proper thing to study. It's not a primary concern of Nagarjuna.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

conebeckham wrote:Sentient Beings are Illusory, too.
So is this discussion.
But that doesn't answer my question: how can two (or multiple) illusory minds participate in an illusory discussion miles apart?

I'm not asking if it is illusion; I'm asking how, if all is illusion, there can be "happenings" and consensual participation in those "happenings."
Cantankerous Buddha
Paul

Post by Paul »

Epistemes wrote:
So is this discussion.
But that doesn't answer my question: how can two (or multiple) illusory minds participate in an illusory discussion miles apart?

I'm not asking if it is illusion; I'm asking how, if all is illusion, there can be "happenings" and consensual participation in those "happenings."
Ultimately nothing at all happens.

But it appears to, like people sharing a dream.

It's useful to think of the notion of "before and after analysis". Before analysis, there certainly appears to be something going on. But after a thorough analysis, nothing has been found that can be said to be real or existing. It's like a magician who cuts a lady in half - it looks like he did it, but after analysis you can see that there never was the cutting of the lady. It never happened.

If you want a good explanation, listen to Thomas Doctor's (a translator for Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche) lectures here: https://dharmasun.org/index.php?dharmas ... &flag=BUDC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need to create a free account.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Epistemes wrote:I'm not asking if it is illusion; I'm asking how, if all is illusion, there can be "happenings" and consensual participation in those "happenings."
I understand what you're asking, but I think it's outside the scope of this thread, and also outside the scope of what Nagarjuna is concerned with. That's why I made the Abidharma suggestion, though I'm not expert and am not even sure you fill find an adequate answer to your question.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Epistemes, in an effort to help you out, check this:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/s-abhidham/s-abhi08.htm
This is just one page from a longer work dealing with Abhidharma, based on Pali sources, but it is applicable here....

Here are some quotes you may find helpful....
This is what is called in philosophy a 'modal view,' a view that concentrates on the qualities of experience rather than on the essence of experience. To seek the essence of matter is to enter the world of speculation, to go beyond our empirical experience; to deal with the qualities of matter is to confine ourselves to phenomena, to experience. It is interesting to note that this modal view of matter is shared by some modern philosophers, Bertrand Russell perhaps being the best known among them. It is this modal view of reality which also informs much contemporary thought about matter. Scientists have come to recognize matter as a phenomenon, to recognize that it is impossible to arrive at the essence of matter, and this has been substantiated by the discovery of the infinite divisibility of the atom.

This modal view of reality has another important implication: Insofar as we take a purely phenomenological and experiential view of reality, of existence, the question of the external world--in the sense of a reality existing somewhere 'out there,' beyond the limit of our experience--does not arise. Insofar as the external world gives rise to the experience of matter, it is just the objective or material dimension of our experience, not an independent reality that exists in itself.

DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Epistemes wrote:
So is this discussion.

How if you make this as a new topic. I think many of us could participate or give some light on it. The problem if I can see lies on the understanding of what is illusion, why we call it illusion, why it can never be real and always illusion.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
el_chupacabra

Post by el_chupacabra »

Hayagriva wrote:If you want a good explanation, listen to Thomas Doctor's (a translator for Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche) lectures here: https://dharmasun.org/index.php?dharmas ... &flag=BUDC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need to create a free account.
Certainly an excellent site :thumbsup:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

There can be "happening" because everything is empty. If things were not empty they would be frozen forever in their inherent existence in space/time.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

His question is why there can be "happening" for more than one of us.......not whether it really happens, but why it seems to happen to us, such that we can have common experience......

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Well, separate mindstreams are only conventionally real.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Username31

Re: Benefits of Nagarjuna / Dangers of Existence & Non-Exist

Post by Username31 »

conebeckham wrote:
swampflower wrote: However to travel further along the path and to develop true compassion it becomes important to realize the true nature of existence as dependent origination.
This does not mean that things do not exist, things rather do not exist with permanence. As the old saying goes "Nothing lasts forever".
On the other hand there is no non-existence of things, things do not vanish or are not annihilated. Rather things change as a result of the cause and effect relationship.
Well....Nagarjuna doesn't really say that.

Nagarjuna says, quite frankly, that things do not exist at all, though they seem to exist. In fact, It is precisely because "things DO vanish" or "things ARE annihilated" that they don't exist in the first place. If they did exist, they would be immune to change, for example.

The gross level of cause and effect can be seen as a continuum of change, surely. But there is a flaw in understanding that this continuum exists, when one examines on a more subtle level. There is no becoming, etc. which we can point to as a "mode of existence."
Nagarjuna observed that all the things are exist and not exist. If you attach of their empty realm then you are just a nihilist. If you attach of their form realm, then you are deluded. All things are have both form and emptiness.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Wow, this is an old thread you've re-animated, Username new guy....

Your interpretation is problematic, or perhaps it's just your language that I can't quite get.

"Things" don't possess form or emptiness. Maybe I'll leave it to others to answer this...

muni

Post by muni »

Welcome to Username 31.

There are few texts on internet by Nagarjuna about so called beyond existence-nonexistence.

We need respect for the sacred, guidance, blessings by Bodhichitta/Awaken Master.

:namaste:
Username31

Post by Username31 »

conebeckham wrote:Wow, this is an old thread you've re-animated, Username new guy....

Your interpretation is problematic, or perhaps it's just your language that I can't quite get.

"Things" don't possess form or emptiness. Maybe I'll leave it to others to answer this...
Its not what i meant. Everything is both empty and not empty.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

conebeckham wrote:Wow, this is an old thread you've re-animated, Username new guy....

Or not, Cone... :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
jules

Post by jules »

existence is an extreme / concept.
non-existence is an extreme / concept.

nirvana is beyond extremes. the true nature of reality is beyond concepts.
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

Is the middle way essentially resting in ineffable mystical paradox?
Hieros Gamos

Post by Hieros Gamos »

IMHO it's resting in what's completely bedrock obvious. Nothing "mystical" (ugh).

All entities are physical or abstract (obvious).
The thing that determines whether something is a physical or abstract entity is consciousness (obvious).
Therefore all entities are objects or subjects (obvious).
Therefore consciousness is the root of subjects and objects (obvious).
Therefore all entities are one taste in consciousness (obvious).
Therefore all entities are just energies in experience (obvious).
Therefore nothing can be distinguished from the milieu (obvious).
Therefore consciousness has no boundaries (obvious).
Therefore consciousness is non-finite (obvious).
Therefore consciousness is unfindable (obvious).
Therefore consciousness has no essence (obvious).
Therefore there is no consciousness (obvious).

The reason we can't sustain knowledge of this obvious reality is because we are habituated to build complex constructs and stories and become addicted to and lost in them (obvious).
Therefore anything constructed is a self (obvious).
Therefore the way to free ourselves from the process of habituation is to see the selves are like dreams (obvious).

I wish obvious were simple.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”