Sutra 643 of vol.15 of the Taisho Tripitaka

General forum on Mahayana.

Sutra 643 of vol.15 of the Taisho Tripitaka

Postby Aemilius » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2010/08/s ... m-all.html
There is a translation of this sutra by Venerable Yogi Chen, which seems to have been censored from the works of Yogi Chen by the disciple Dr Yutanglin.
Sravasti Dhammika doesn't have the kind of faith in Mahayana that Venerable Yogi Chen always had. Worth reading nevertheless.
svaha
Aemilius

Re: Sutra 643 of vol.15 of the Taisho Tripitaka

Postby Indrajala » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 pm

This is just a popular story, possibly a grassroots folk tale of sorts, that made it into the Chinese canon.

Moreover, I imagine it was written with an intention of provoking a response from certain members in the community at the time.

The Vimalakīrti Nirdeśa Sūtra is one example of a text saying rather provocative things. The tantras go beyond that.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: Sutra 643 of vol.15 of the Taisho Tripitaka

Postby Aemilius » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Huseng wrote:This is just a popular story, possibly a grassroots folk tale of sorts, that made it into the Chinese canon.

Moreover, I imagine it was written with an intention of provoking a response from certain members in the community at the time.

The Vimalakīrti Nirdeśa Sūtra is one example of a text saying rather provocative things. The tantras go beyond that.

On the contrary I think that all the bizarre forms of indian religiosity etc... existed during the time of Shakyamuni and that therefore this sutra is based on real incidents.
svaha
Aemilius

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism