Mahayana Mantras

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
ChangYuan
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

Mahayana Mantras

Postby ChangYuan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Are there any mantras that people use regularly in the Mahayana traditions besides the Amitabha's name, and the daimoku in Nichiren? I personally find chanting practice to be very focusing, and am always interested in what others do for that type of practice.
_/\_ Amituofo

The Inept Buddhist

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 19093
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:35 pm

ChangYuan wrote:Are there any mantras that people use regularly in the Mahayana traditions besides the Amitabha's name, and the daimoku in Nichiren? I personally find chanting practice to be very focusing, and am always interested in what others do for that type of practice.



Om mani padme hum -- Avalokiteshavara
Om tāre tuttāre ture svāhā -- Tārā
Om a ra pa cha na dhiḥ -- Manjushri
Om muni muni mahāmuni śākyamuni svāhā -- Buddha
Tadyatha gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svāhā -- Prajñāparamita.
Tadyatha om bhaisajya bhaisajya mahābhaisajya rājā samudgate svāhā -- Medicien Buddha
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

User avatar
ChangYuan
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby ChangYuan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Namdrol wrote:
ChangYuan wrote:Are there any mantras that people use regularly in the Mahayana traditions besides the Amitabha's name, and the daimoku in Nichiren? I personally find chanting practice to be very focusing, and am always interested in what others do for that type of practice.



Om mani padme hum -- Avalokiteshavara
Om tāre tuttāre ture svāhā -- Tārā
Om a ra pa cha na dhiḥ -- Manjushri
Om muni muni mahāmuni śākyamuni svāhā -- Buddha
Tadyatha gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svāhā -- Prajñāparamita.
Tadyatha om bhaisajya bhaisajya mahābhaisajya rājā samudgate svāhā -- Medicien Buddha


Aren't the Manjushri, Medicine Buddha and Prajñāparamita mantras that require empowerments?
_/\_ Amituofo

The Inept Buddhist

pemachophel
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby pemachophel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

There's also the Ganapati-Ganeshwara mantra in the Ganapati-Ganeshwara sutra just to name one more.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 19093
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:56 pm

ChangYuan wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
ChangYuan wrote:Are there any mantras that people use regularly in the Mahayana traditions besides the Amitabha's name, and the daimoku in Nichiren? I personally find chanting practice to be very focusing, and am always interested in what others do for that type of practice.



Om mani padme hum -- Avalokiteshavara
Om tāre tuttāre ture svāhā -- Tārā
Om a ra pa cha na dhiḥ -- Manjushri
Om muni muni mahāmuni śākyamuni svāhā -- Buddha
Tadyatha gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svāhā -- Prajñāparamita.
Tadyatha om bhaisajya bhaisajya mahābhaisajya rājā samudgate svāhā -- Medicien Buddha


Aren't the Manjushri, Medicine Buddha and Prajñāparamita mantras that require empowerments?


Nope.
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

User avatar
ChangYuan
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby ChangYuan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Namdrol wrote:Nope.


Great! Would you happen to know of a good site to get the english translations of these, as well as a pronunciation guide?
_/\_ Amituofo

The Inept Buddhist

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 19093
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:22 pm

ChangYuan wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Nope.


Great! Would you happen to know of a good site to get the english translations of these, as well as a pronunciation guide?


They are pretty much pronounced as they are spelled.

All 'a' sounds in Sanskrit sound as in "fall", only difference is in length ā is twice as long as a. 'I' sounds like "ee" as in "he" again, if there is a macron i.e. ī, double the length.

"ai' sounds like a cross between "bye" and "bay", it is kind of in between those two depending on region.

When reciting mantras sutra style, sing them out loud melodiously.
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 5757
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Astus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 am

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby catmoon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Also see wildmind.org for mantras, recordings, and background.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 5757
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Astus » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:48 pm

The Ten Small Mantras used commonly in Chinese Buddhism.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

User avatar
denice
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby denice » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Namdrol wrote:
ChangYuan wrote:Are there any mantras that people use regularly in the Mahayana traditions besides the Amitabha's name, and the daimoku in Nichiren? I personally find chanting practice to be very focusing, and am always interested in what others do for that type of practice.



Om mani padme hum -- Avalokiteshavara
Om tāre tuttāre ture svāhā -- Tārā
Om a ra pa cha na dhiḥ -- Manjushri
Om muni muni mahāmuni śākyamuni svāhā -- Buddha
Tadyatha gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svāhā -- Prajñāparamita.
Tadyatha om bhaisajya bhaisajya mahābhaisajya rājā samudgate svāhā -- Medicien Buddha


i do the above mentioned mantras daily
keeping the mind in perfect tranquility and free from any attachment to appearances."
"So I say to you -
This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:"
"Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream."
"So is all conditioned existence to be seen."
Thus spoke Buddha.

Jinzang
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 am

Re: Mahayana Mantras

Postby Jinzang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 am

Khenpo Tsultrim Tenzin taught that mantras start with "tadhyatha" as an indication that they were taken from sutras. Examples are the mantras of Prajnaparamita, Medicine Buddha, and 1000 Armed Avalokitishvara.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose


Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: narhwal90 and 18 guests