Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1952
He was first called the "buddha boy", when in the forests of Nepal he was found meditating. Later he was known as Palden Dorje and since several years have passed, he now is called Dharma Sangha.

Some 10,000 followers braved the intense heat of the jungle as Dharma Sangha celebrated 2011 Vesak with his disciples and followers.

This site gives an overview of his young life and teachings: http://paldendorje.com/en/

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Last edited by Will on Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am
Posts: 3043
What is said about other religions and so in that youtube;
Well yes, by our habitual clasification-graspings; as long as there is rejecting/accepting, are we a mouse in the trap of ones own fabricated movie.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
Does that mean when he becomes a Buddha, he will be known as "Buddha Dharma Sangha"?? :thinking:

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:54 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
Will wrote:
He was first called the "buddha boy", when in the forests of Nepal he was found meditating. Later he was known as Palden Dorje and since several years have passed, he now is called Dharma Sangha.

Some 10,000 followers braved the intense heat of the jungle as Dharma Sangha celebrated 2011 Vesak with his disciples and followers.

This site gives an overview of his young life and teachings: http://paldendorje.com/en/


Why are monks "following" this person? Are they real Buddhist monks? Is that a real undoctored photo with monks holding a victory parasol for this young man?

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1952
kirtu wrote:
Will wrote:
He was first called the "buddha boy", when in the forests of Nepal he was found meditating. Later he was known as Palden Dorje and since several years have passed, he now is called Dharma Sangha.

Some 10,000 followers braved the intense heat of the jungle as Dharma Sangha celebrated 2011 Vesak with his disciples and followers.

This site gives an overview of his young life and teachings: http://paldendorje.com/en/


Why are monks "following" this person? Are they real Buddhist monks? Is that a real undoctored photo with monks holding a victory parasol for this young man?

Kirt


So far as I know, Yes to your last two questions. To answer your first one, you will have to ask someone closer to the bhikshus.

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:45 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
The obvious reason people are following him would be his many years of meditation starting at an early age. the BBC even did some time lapse photography of him meditating and the lack of motion was pretty remarkable. So that's his main credential, an outstanding history of meditation. However there have been some really odd incidents too.

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5771
Seishin wrote:
Does that mean when he becomes a Buddha, he will be known as "Buddha Dharma Sangha"?? :thinking:


Major Major Major Major.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
"We have clearance Clarence"
"Roger Roger" "What's our vecter Victor?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm
Posts: 123
catmoon wrote:
The obvious reason people are following him would be his many years of meditation starting at an early age. the BBC even did some time lapse photography of him meditating and the lack of motion was pretty remarkable. So that's his main credential, an outstanding history of meditation. However there have been some really odd incidents too.


Can elaborate a bit on this? What are the odd incidents, just curious...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
Well there was a curious incident in which some people came to harass him while he was meditating. The Buddha boy's version is that "was forced to beat them" while his assailants claim they were beaten and held against their will by the Buddha boy's followers. He was apparently in the habit of carrying a sword or long knife with him in case of tiger attack, which is a bit non-standard. That was back when he was meditating alone in the jungle, something he probably finds impossible these days.

The few teachings of his that I have heard were.... lacking something. I don't suppose he has had a lot of education. I don't even know if he can read.

At one point the BBC had him under continuous observation for 96 hours during which he neither moved, ate nor drank. This would result in fatal kidney failure for most people. He is a notably well-muscled young man, not something you would expect from a full time meditator. All in all, a most unusual fellow.

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dharma Sangha
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1952
Image

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tenzin Dorje and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group