Lojong: The 7 Points of Mind Training: Resource?

General forum on Mahayana.

Lojong: The 7 Points of Mind Training: Resource?

Postby Padme » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 am

I've been able to find a list of the 59 Slogans, but does anyone know of a reasonably basic breakdown of the meanings of each slogan? Some are obvious, but others I could use help interpreting. Any links or books? Thanks.
:buddha1:
Padme

Re: Lojong: The 7 Points of Mind Training: Resource?

Postby Will » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:51 am

Padme wrote:I've been able to find a list of the 59 Slogans, but does anyone know of a reasonably basic breakdown of the meanings of each slogan? Some are obvious, but others I could use help interpreting. Any links or books? Thanks.

Here are six good ones - ignore the Osho one.

http://lojongmindtraining.com/sectionSu ... ectionID=0
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Mr. G » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Mind Training: The Great Collection (Library of Tibetan Classics) - Thupten Jinpa Ph.D. (Translator)
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Mind Training: The Great Collection (Library of Tibetan Classics) - Thupten Jinpa Ph.D. (Translator)

Easily the best resource on Lojong available in the English language.
Josef

Postby arisaema81 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Also

Path of Heroes - Zhechen Gyaltsab

It is in two volumes and is published by Dharma Publishing
arisaema81

Postby ground » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 am

Padme wrote:I've been able to find a list of the 59 Slogans, but does anyone know of a reasonably basic breakdown of the meanings of each slogan? Some are obvious, but others I could use help interpreting. Any links or books? Thanks.

Start with one interpretation and after that you may investigate into others. First this and then that. I would not recommend to start with a variety as suggested here by others.

So what tradition are you inclined to at present? Take their explanation. You may find their teachers writings via amazon, wisdom books or simply google.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Padme » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Just a follow up to my original post. I found an audio CD set from Pema Chodron, a new release called "Be Grateful to Everyone": An In-Depth Guide to The Practice of Lojong. I've listened to 2 of the 7 CD's so far, and it is excellent! I'm finding that I'm taking a lot of notes. There are also exercises to do (Lojong & Tonglen). I would highly recommend it to others who might be looking for a "down to earth" explanation of the practice.
:namaste:
Padme

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism