Buddhism: Only True Religion

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Buddhism: Only True Religion

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Before the Dalai Lama left Tibet he thought Buddhism was the "only true religion". But his attitude changed when he visited India in 1956. What happened in India?
My visit to the Theosophical Society in Chennai (then Madras) left a powerful impression. There I was directly exposed to people, and to a movement, that attempted to bring together the wisdom of the world's spiritual traditions, as well as science... After more than three months in what was a most amazing country ... I was a changed man. I could no longer live in the comfort of an exclusivist standpoint that takes Buddhism to be the only true religion.
From Toward a True Kinship of Faiths

Many Western Buddhists have scorn for the Theosophical Society, founded by Upasika Blavatsky. The Presence looked a little deeper.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Malcolm

Re: Buddhism: Only True Religion

Post by Malcolm »

Will wrote:Before the Dalai Lama left Tibet he thought Buddhism was the "only true religion". But his attitude changed when he visited India in 1956. What happened in India?
My visit to the Theosophical Society in Chennai (then Madras) left a powerful impression. There I was directly exposed to people, and to a movement, that attempted to bring together the wisdom of the world's spiritual traditions, as well as science... After more than three months in what was a most amazing country ... I was a changed man. I could no longer live in the comfort of an exclusivist standpoint that takes Buddhsim to be the only true religion.

Many Western Buddhists have scorn for the Theosophical Society, founded by Upasika Blavatsky. The Presence looked a little deeper.

Depends on what you mean by "true".
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

We Buddhists often possess the attitude of Mahayana versus Theravada as one is superior to the other. Surely we can extend this attitude to non-Buddhist also.
It’s eye blinking.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LastLegend wrote:We Buddhists often possess the attitude of Mahayana versus Theravada as one is superior to the other. Surely we can extend this attitude to non-Buddhist also.

Depends on what result one wants. Non-Buddhist religions do not result in Buddhahood, it is not their goal. Buddhahood is not the goal of Theravada either.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Namdrol wrote:
LastLegend wrote:We Buddhists often possess the attitude of Mahayana versus Theravada as one is superior to the other. Surely we can extend this attitude to non-Buddhist also.

Depends on what result one wants. Non-Buddhist religions do not result in Buddhahood, it is not their goal. Buddhahood is not the goal of Theravada either.
Is the goal not to break the barrier of self and others as a Buddhist?
It’s eye blinking.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LastLegend wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Is the goal not to break the barrier of self and others as a Buddhist?
No, the goal is to be free of obscurations of affliction (in common with Theravada) and knowledge.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

did buddha intend for everyone to become "Buddhists" ???
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

The Theosophical Society is 'Buddhist' in some respects, not the least in its slogan:

'There is no religion higher than Truth.'

As a member, I find that simple statement to be very tellling - it is the Dharma which is the true quest. :)

In terms of Buddhism, the synthesis of all that is good in Buddhism resulted in the Vajrayana, which for me comprises the 'true' Buddhism.
Left
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tamdrin wrote:did buddha intend for everyone to become "Buddhists" ???

In general, yes.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Namdrol wrote: No, the goal is to be free of obscurations of affliction (in common with Theravada) and knowledge.
What is the cause of obscurations of affliction? Is arrogance a part of this cause?
It’s eye blinking.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LastLegend wrote:
Namdrol wrote: No, the goal is to be free of obscurations of affliction (in common with Theravada) and knowledge.
What is the cause of obscurations of affliction? Is arrogance a part of this cause?

The knowledge obscuration of ignorance, primarily.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Namdrol wrote:
LastLegend wrote:

The knowledge obscuration of ignorance, primarily.
Ignorance conditioned what according to Dependent Origination? If not self and others?
It’s eye blinking.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LastLegend wrote:
Ignorance conditioned what according to Dependent Origination? If not self and others?
No, not that ignorance. That is afflicted ignorance. The knowledge obscuration of ignorance is the mistaken apprehension of an identity.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Namdrol wrote:
LastLegend wrote:
No, not that ignorance. That is afflicted ignorance.The knowledge obscuration of ignorance is the mistaken apprehension of an identity
:smile:
It’s eye blinking.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

How does Buddhahood differ from arahantship, precisely? I have been wondering about this for awhile but haven't found a clear consensus.

And what does the distinction tell us about nirvana? Is there also a divergence between the Theravada and Mahayana understanding of this (non)state?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I always like U Thant's quote that "Buddhism is a superior religion". That is not that same as what the Dalai Lama understood from his lamas; that Buddhism is exclusively not false in any way. A claim that no other religion can justify, he seems to have been taught. Many Xtians & Moslems have that same attitude.

I do not know if the Dalai Lama agrees, but a ranking of religions is still possible. For me Buddhism is at the top. But the "best" does not mean the "only".
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Will wrote:
I always like U Thant's quote that "Buddhism is a superior religion". That is not that same as what the Dalai Lama understood from his lamas; that Buddhism is exclusively not false in any way. A claim that no other religion can justify, he seems to have been taught. Many Xtians & Moslems have that same attitude.

I do not know if the Dalai Lama agrees, but a ranking of religions is still possible. For me Buddhism is at the top. But the "best" does not mean the "only".
I misunderstood "only true religion" as his initial attitude before he interacted with people from different religious backgrounds.

But I think I was not referring to him; I was talking to our fellow Buddhists in general.

I can't remember which one though if the first one then my apologies.
It’s eye blinking.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

LastLegend wrote:
Will wrote:

I misunderstood "only true religion" as his initial attitude before he interacted with people from different religious backgrounds.

But I think I was not referring to him; I was talking to our fellow Buddhists in general.

I can't remember which one though if the first one then my apologies.
I thought I was supporting your notion that just as Mahayana can be considered superior to Theravada, so also can religion X be thought better than religion Y, without falling into the "only true" versus "everybody else false" view.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

a lot of damage done in the name of "truth".

thats a truth.
ground

Post by ground »

Will wrote:Before the Dalai Lama left Tibet he thought Buddhism was the "only true religion". But his attitude changed when he visited India in 1956. What happened in India?
My visit to the Theosophical Society in Chennai (then Madras) left a powerful impression. There I was directly exposed to people, and to a movement, that attempted to bring together the wisdom of the world's spiritual traditions, as well as science... After more than three months in what was a most amazing country ... I was a changed man. I could no longer live in the comfort of an exclusivist standpoint that takes Buddhism to be the only true religion.
Isolated Tibet with its isolated truths. What happened in India? Obviously the experience that "the isolated truths of isolated Tibet" is not "all".

Kind regards

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”