Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nirveda

Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

Postby Nirveda » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Does anyone know of any online translations of this sutra? I'm looking for one but can't seem to find any. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Thanks.

:namaste:

Jnana

Re: Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

Postby Jnana » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 am

Nirveda wrote:Does anyone know of any online translations of this sutra? I'm looking for one but can't seem to find any. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Only parts of the Samādhirāja Sūtra have been translated. Here is a list of the chapters which have been translated into English.

Translation of Chapters I-IV:

Gómez, Luis O. and J.A. Silk (eds). "The Sutra of the King of Samādhis, Chapters I-IV." Studies in the Literature of the Great Vehicle. University of Michigan, 1989.

Translation of Chapters VIII, IXX, XXII:

Régamey, Konstanty. Three Chapters from the Samādhirājasūtra. Warsaw, 1938.

Translation of Chapters IV, VI, VII, IX:

Rockwell, John Jr. Samādhi and Patient Acceptance: Four Chapters of the Samādhirāja-sūtra, Translated from the Sanskrit and Tibetan. M.A. Thesis, Naropa Institute, Boulder, Colorado, 1980.

Cüppers, Christoph. The IXth Chapter of the Samādhirājasūtra. A Text-critical Contribution to the Study of Mahāyāna Sūtras. Stuttgart, 1990.

Translation of Chapter XI:

Tatz, Mark. Revelation in Madhyamika Buddhism. M.A.Thesis, University of Washington, 1972.

All the best,

Geoff

Greg

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm

This sutra is an interesting case. One always sees it cited as a basis for mahamudra practice, but it "contains no significant exposition of either meditational practices or states of mind."("State or Statement?: Samādhi in Some Early Mahāyāna Sūtras." The Eastern Buddhist. 34-2. 2002 pg 57)

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:44 pm

There is also this book, but the commentary is only on "key points" of the sutra:

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/King_of_Samadhi_p/5524.htm
Every time you recite Amita Buddha’s name, a ray of light shines through empty space. If you recite very sincerely, then this light fills up the universe, so that the energy of all worlds will be auspicious and harmonious.

Master Hsuan Hua

Avarahakha

Postby Avarahakha » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Here are some links to the various parts of this sutra and information regarding it:

Outline of its history:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/89525529/Dati ... ew-Skilton

The first 4 chapters:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30287350/Stud ... hist-Texts

The 9th chapter translation:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/89294563/The- ... irajasutra

Avarahakha

Postby Avarahakha » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm

You can also read extensive summaries of the chapters online by going on the Digital Library of India's website (only works during certain hours of the day which I assume corresponds to Indian working hours?) and search Gilgit Manuscripts then go on to:

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part II

and

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part III

by Dutt - they also include the Sanskrit text of the chapters in Nagari script although there's a few pages that don't work.

I'm copying them into PDF files and will be posting them on Scribd soon as the first parts of Vol 2 and 3 are easily available on Archive.org but these parts only seem to be available for online viewing and on this somewhat obscure site.

I am also planning on chopping up some PDFs and pasting them together into something easier to follow than half a dozen different translations and summaries spread across the web.

uan

Postby uan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Avarahakha wrote:You can also read extensive summaries of the chapters online by going on the Digital Library of India's website (only works during certain hours of the day which I assume corresponds to Indian working hours?) and search Gilgit Manuscripts then go on to:

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part II

and

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part III

by Dutt - they also include the Sanskrit text of the chapters in Nagari script although there's a few pages that don't work.

I'm copying them into PDF files and will be posting them on Scribd soon as the first parts of Vol 2 and 3 are easily available on Archive.org but these parts only seem to be available for online viewing and on this somewhat obscure site.

I am also planning on chopping up some PDFs and pasting them together into something easier to follow than half a dozen different translations and summaries spread across the web.

:twothumbsup:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”