No Self, No Problem

General forum on Mahayana.

No Self, No Problem

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 pm

As human beings we are deeply insecure and we do not know who we truly are. Of course this problem does not show on the surface of our lives. We are always telling ourselves who we are, based on this notion that we are separate from everything else. This sense that "I am separate" is the ground of our sense of self. It is reinforced by various false identities that we cling to, notions that "I am this" or "I am that." Whatever beliefs we have about ourselves are just another extension. Most of the time when we look around, we immediately see that our surroundings are validating these false identities. For this very reason, it is a challenging endeavor to deconstruct this illusion of self.

Every time we look into our mirror we might have some thought about ourselves. Each of these thoughts adds up. They become the conceptual bricks we use to keep building this illusory castle of self. Yet, there is a suspicion that this notion of self might be very fragile and transient, and this thought is silently lurking somewhere in our consciousness. Most of the time this suspicion is not brought into the light of awareness, but if it is, some deep, inner wisdom will arise without choice.

Our suspicion of the fragility of this false notion of self can go in one of two directions. In general it becomes a source of fear, anxiety, and insecurity. We often see people who are fearful and overly defensive when it comes to their own identity. We ourselves tend to become fearful if our identity is threatened. But at other times the suspicion can go another way. When that happens, it can be a life-changing revelation that can lead us to the realization of the highest level of truth. This idea is not some new, lofty theory. It is timeless wisdom that has been realized by many people in human history. Buddha taught this wisdom, and in his tradition it is called anatman or "no self." Anatman, or "no self," is the term used to mean that one has seen through this false sense of self. One has seen that this false sense of self is merely an identification with one's roles in life. It is just a mask, not the truth.

--from No Self, No Problem by Anam Thubten, edited by Sharon Roe
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: No Self, No Problem

Postby ground » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 am

Acually I find this sort of teachings too much "psychology-like".

Talking about "false notion of self" may imply that there is a "right notion of self" but any notion of self is false.

Also what is "timeless wisdom"? Is it a permanent wisdom or a subjective experience of an individual who is not conceptually involved in time? I think the latter.

I find the Buddha's pith instructions more convincing.

"Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. [1] Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"There are these five clinging-aggregates where a monk should stay, keeping track of arising & passing away (thus): 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' As he stays keeping track of arising & passing away with regard to these five clinging-aggregates, he abandons any conceit that 'I am' with regard to these five clinging-aggregates. This being the case, he discerns, 'I have abandoned any conceit that "I am" with regard to these five clinging-aggregates.' In this way he is alert there.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Kind regards
ground

Postby Paul » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Here's another example of some pith instructions from the Buddha himself:

A third time Bahiya said to the Lord: "It is difficult to know for certain... Teach me Dhamma, Sugata, so that it will be for my good and happiness for a long time."

"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

Now through this brief Dhamma teaching of the Lord the mind of Bahiya of the Bark-cloth was immediately freed from the taints without grasping. Then the Lord, having instructed Bahiya with this brief instruction, went away.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html

Interestingly, Bahiya gains complete enlightenment without meditating on the instructions.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul

Postby ground » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 am

Hayagriva wrote:Here's another example of some pith instructions from the Buddha himself:

Yes, thanks. This is a great teaching.

Hayagriva wrote:
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html

Interestingly, Bahiya gains complete enlightenment without meditating on the instructions.

This actually again is the not-clinging to (not-identifying with) the aggregates as shown in the other quote example above which entails the abandonment of the illusion of "I" and "mine". The aggregates here in this case are consciousness, feeling, perceptions and formations that are necessarily involved in the context of the sense bases.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Hanzze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 am

Sometimes we can not develop the secret weapon, or sometimes others are not attracted by a weapon that is not seen.
I guess that is the reason why simply weapons are so much effective than secret weapons.
Recognition and acknowledgment seek for different as to win the whole battle. Is there a self that needs it?
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby ground » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 am

Hanzze wrote:Sometimes we can not develop the secret weapon, or sometimes others are not attracted by a weapon that is not seen.
I guess that is the reason why simply weapons are so much effective than secret weapons.
Recognition and acknowledgment seek for different as to win the whole battle. Is there a self that needs it?

You have to differentiate

1. There are weapons against afflictions

2. There are methods to attain Buddhahood.

Two different things although they may supplement each other.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Hanzze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 am

Neither I had talk of TMingyur, it is the weapon to free others, the way to release one self without hurting neither one self nor others.
It is a selfless weapon which heals and just cuts of the ego when it is lifted for a strike. It cost a lot of self-ego and that is why it cutes also the own self at the same time.

So it has always a "bilateral victory" as its result. The bow of wisdom and the arrows of compassion, and mindfulness which protect against worldly weapons. A shield that does not hinder that strikes of wisdom and compassion will cut through.

In which different way the constantly growing "self" could be loosed as to give up the illusion weapons which might look effective as they are broadly seen?
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby ground » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 am

Ah ... so your words were intended to refer to "self and other"?
Mine did refer to method.

Kind regards
ground

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism