The Shurangama Dharani

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
thornbush

The Shurangama Dharani

Postby thornbush » Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 am

thornbush

Re: The Shurangama Dharani

Postby thornbush » Sat May 16, 2009 1:29 am

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 am

Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Aemilius

Postby Aemilius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:58 pm

svaha

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 pm

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

remm

Postby remm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 am

Here is a very powerful story displaying the Venerable Master Hua's vigor.

There was a chinese monk who was very fortunate enough to meet the Venerable Master the day right before his entering of Nirvana. He described that the Venerable Master was very sick and was laying in bed, at this point the Master was too sick to give dharma lectures. As he approached the Venerable Master who was laying in bed, the Master knew of this and used all his strength to sit up and greet this monk. This Dharma Master was very touched as he knew the condition of the Venerable Master, but seeing how the Venerable Master gathered up every inch of strength to greet him, he saw that the Ven. Master truly respected the left home people. At that time, the Dharma Master asked the Venerable Master Hua what is the most sacred teaching that people should cultivate during this age of decline in proper dharma? And the Venerable Master proclaimed that all of his life he has cultivated the six guiding principles which are: No fighting, No greed, No selfishness, No seeking, No Pursuing Personal Advantage, and No Lying. The Venerable Master even described how to follow these teachings with a minor lecture to this monk, after that the monk respectfully bowed and withdrew.

That story demonstrates how the Venerable Master truly cherished the Triple Jewel. Even on the day right before his passing he would gather up all his strength to greet a fellow monk. The Venerable Master Hua was an outstanding advocate of Buddhism, there are many more stories of how the Master was so selfless in his cultivation and crossing over living beings. Many people who were around him during the time of the Master would witness first hand in person how the Venerable Master never once put himself before anyone else, even until his last days.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:54 pm

This book is not a commentary on each line of the mantra, but it does have much valuable buddhadharma, plus practitioners experiences with the mantra: http://www.bttsonline.org/product.aspx?pid=250

theimperialdragon

Postby theimperialdragon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 am

theimperialdragon

Postby theimperialdragon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for your swift reply :thanks:

I'm a Tibetan Buddhism practitioner and I have been really interested in the Shurangama Sutra. Are there any mantras or sutras for the Shurangama Sutra in Tibetan of the Sanskrit version:

TADYATHA OM
ANALE ANALE
VISADA VISADA
BANDHA BANDHA
BANDHANI BANDHANI
VAIRA VAJRAPANI PHAT
HUM BHRUM PHAT SVAHA

And in regards to the above mantra, can you please guide as to which part of the day would be the best time to chant?

Many thanks! :smile:

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 pm

theimperialdragon

Postby theimperialdragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for your kind advice. I have written out the Sanskrit Shurangama Long Dharani on a cotton cloth and placed it inside this pouch which I wear around my neck all the time. I would like to ask if I have to use the restroom, do I need to remove the pouch? This is because most of the time when I am alone, I am unable to remove it and place it in a place that is safe.

Thank you.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 pm

tktru

Postby tktru » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:26 am

Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:10 pm

I wonder if someone literate in Chinese could help out. Here is the romanized Sanskrit & Chinese of the Mantra:

http://www.dharmabliss.org/audio/sur-te ... skt-ch.htm

Lines in the romanized Chinese are 104-108
chr dwo ni
e jya la
mi li ju
bwo li dan la ye
ning jye li

What are the corresponding Sanskrit words to these 5 lines?

remm

Postby remm » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:31 pm

The five Great Hearts Mantra of the Five Family Buddhas in Sanskrit:

104: Chedana
105: Akala
106: Mrtyu
107: Prasamana
108: Karim

Chr Two Ni
E Jya La
Mi Li Jyu
Bwo Li Dan La Ye
Ning Jye Li

These five lines are the strongest in the Shurangama Mantra for dispelling black magic, voodoo, curses, mantras of externalists and heavenly demons.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 am

theimperialdragon

Postby theimperialdragon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi, I've been chanting the Sanskrit version of the Shurangama Heart Mantra that goes like this:

TADYATHA OM
ANALE ANALE
VI-SA-DA VI-SA-DA
BANDHA BANDHA
BANDHANI
BANDHANI
VIRA
VAJRA-PANI PHAT
HUM BHRUM
PHAT SVAHA

However, the commentary suggested that I have to at least remember the Siddham letter. Can you kindly explain what this means?

Thank you very much. :namaste:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”