Emptiness Mantra

General forum on Mahayana.

Emptiness Mantra

Postby kajibabu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:52 am

Does anybody have this emptiness mantra (Svabhavshuddhah sarvadharmah svabhavshuddho Ahm) recitation music track? Thanks
Babu, Nepal
kajibabu

Re: Emptiness Mantra

Postby pemachophel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Babu,

Doubt you're gonna find what you seem to be looking for. Typically, in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, this mantra is only said one time in various liturgies and sadhanas. IME, it's not "counted"/said over and over again/japped like, say, OM MANI PEME HUNG.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby Adamantine » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah, however I also thought the mantra of interdependent origination was not generally accumulated for the same reason: it usually only appears in sadhanas at one time, often at the end for auspiciousness. But this message just arrived from Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche for Losar:

I have a special request to make of those who are connected with me – who consider themselves to be my friends and students but who are in reality merely my victims – and of those who are karmically indebted to each other.

From the first day of the new Tibetan year, the year of the horse – 2 March 2014 – whenever you have a spare moment, day or night, please chant the mantra of interdependent origination:
om ye dharma hetu prabhawa | hetun teshan tathagato hyavadat | teshan tsa yo nirodha | ewam vade mahashramanah soha

Then, dedicate the merit, primarily towards the flourishing of the Buddhadharma throughout the world, but also whatever you wish for personally.

On new year’s eve I will send another message explaining the benefits of reciting this mantra and how to practise it. The aim is that together we accomplish one hundred million recitations.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Adamantine wrote:
DJKR wrote:I have a special request to make of those who are connected with me – who consider themselves to be my friends and students but who are in reality merely my victims ...

What a card. :smile:
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:20 pm

This very mantra also appears outside Tibetan Buddhism. If you attend a service in a Tendai temple, for instance, you will hear it at least once, usually early on.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby kirtu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Jikan wrote:This very mantra also appears outside Tibetan Buddhism. If you attend a service in a Tendai temple, for instance, you will hear it at least once, usually early on.

Would you be able to give the Tendai pronunciation? Different Tibetan lineages have slightly different takes on the pronunciation even though we are all taking this from Sanskrit.

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby pemachophel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Adamatine,

I think you've got the wrong mantra. Babu asked about the Swabhava mantra, not the Pratityasamutpada mantra. So my answer still stands.

pemachophel

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 pm

kirtu wrote:
Jikan wrote:This very mantra also appears outside Tibetan Buddhism. If you attend a service in a Tendai temple, for instance, you will hear it at least once, usually early on.

Would you be able to give the Tendai pronunciation? Different Tibetan lineages have slightly different takes on the pronunciation even though we are all taking this from Sanskrit.

Thanks!

Kirt

It's recognizable when you hear it.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby jikai » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:10 am

Jikan wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Thanks!

Kirt

It's recognizable when you hear it.

It sure is! ;)
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."
"Whoever wishes to benefit beings ought to establish teachings that fit their capacities, expound the dharma in accordance with their capacities, and match the doctrines to them"
jikai

Postby Adamantine » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:16 pm

pemachophel wrote:Adamatine,

I think you've got the wrong mantra. Babu asked about the Swabhava mantra, not the Pratityasamutpada mantra. So my answer still stands.

I wasn't implying they were the same mantra,
just pointing out that I'd thought the same about
the latter one as you stated re: the former... Until DKJR's
message. . . I'd thought that for the same reason;
because it's usually only recited at the end of most sadhanas,
not accumulated; as opposed to the Swabhava which is recited once at the
start of many sadhanas.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby pemachophel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

pemachophel

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism