The Prajñāpāramitā in One Letter

General forum on Mahayana.

The Prajñāpāramitā in One Letter

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

When I was first studying Buddhism, I was enrolled in Comparative Religion at University, and also learning meditation from a 'self-awareness' style of training centre. At the time, one of my University texts was a book called 'Buddhism: An Outline of its Teachings and Schools' by Hans Wolfgang Schumann. There was something in that book that has always stayed with me - one of those kinds of teachings which arrived at just the right moment. It was the observation that the Prajñāpāramitā sutras were, in most cases, very long, with many thousands of lines of texts - in some cases 108,000 lines. However there was also one version of the Prajñāpāramitā Sutra which was 'the shortest scripture in the world'. It consisted of one letter, namely the Sanskrit letter 'a':

What is the significance of that letter, and how it could a single vowel comprise a Sutra?
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Re: The Prajñāpāramitā in One Letter

Postby Astus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am

Two things. The "a" sound is part of every Sanskrit consonant letter, so it is sort of the "universal basis". The "a" is also a negating prefix, like "un-" in English. Therefore "a" is like emptiness that is both universal and negates substance.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Huifeng » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Astus wrote:Two things. The "a" sound is part of every Sanskrit consonant letter, so it is sort of the "universal basis". The "a" is also a negating prefix, like "un-" in English. Therefore "a" is like emptiness that is both universal and negates substance.

Fairly well sums it up.

Or, "a" both is everything, and negates everything.

You can also check out the dharani methods with each syllable from the medium length Prajnaparamita, starting with "a", for "anutpada", "non-arising", as "all dharmas do not arise".

~~Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Kare » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm

That sutra is not so bad, but I find it a little too long and garrulous.
Kåre A. Lie
Kare

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:24 pm

The one in zero letters is vastly superior, in my opinion.
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby Pedestrian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Huifeng wrote:
Astus wrote:Two things. The "a" sound is part of every Sanskrit consonant letter, so it is sort of the "universal basis". The "a" is also a negating prefix, like "un-" in English. Therefore "a" is like emptiness that is both universal and negates substance.

Fairly well sums it up.

Or, "a" both is everything, and negates everything.

You can also check out the dharani methods with each syllable from the medium length Prajnaparamita, starting with "a", for "anutpada", "non-arising", as "all dharmas do not arise".

~~Huifeng

Thank you both. (Oh, and hi, Huifeng.)
Chris Seishi Amirault
"If you have realized it, speak quickly; words are wondrous & unspeakable." Chuanzi.
Benevolent Street Zen Facebook page
Boundless Way Temple website
Pedestrian

Postby pemachophel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Prajnaparamita in a Single Letter

Gya-gar ke-du: Akakasharam Prajnaparamita Sarva Tathagata Ma Nama

Bod ke-du: De-zhin-sheg-pa Tham-che Kyi Yum Shey-rab kyi Pha-rol-tu-chin-pa Yi-ge Chig-ma Zhey-ja-wa Shuk-so

I prostrate to the Supreme Mother, Prajna-paramita!

Thus I have heard:

Once the Blessed One was dwelling in the royal domain of the Vulture Peak Mountain together with 83 monks and many tens of billions of Bodhisatvas who were all abiding together as one skillful expedient device. Furthermore, at that time, at that moment, the Blessed One spoke thus to the Venerable Ananda:

“Ananda, this is the Prajnaparamita in a single feminine letter. For the benefit and happiness of all sentient beings, you should hold it. It goes thus:

“AH.”

When the Blessed One had said this, that whole gathering and the world with its gods, men, asuras, and gandharvas, their hearts full of joy, praised the words of the Blessed One.

Thus the Prajnaparamita in a Single Femine Letter, the Mother of All Sugatas is complete.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 pm

I prostrate to the Supreme Mother, Prajna-paramita!

Painting of Prajnaparamita personified. Sanskrit Astasahasrika Prajnaparamita Sutra manuscript written in the Ranjana script. Nalanda, Bihar, India. Circa 700-1100 CE.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 am

The Terma Heart Sutra of the Single Letter Prajnaparamita

In the Indian Language (Sanskrit): Bhagaviti Prajanaparamita Hridaya

In the Tibetan Language: Sherab kyi Pharoltuchinpa’i Nyingpo

In the English Language: The Heart-Essence of the Far-Reaching Perfection of Discerning Wisdom, the Transcendent Conquering Goddess

HOMAGE TO THE TRANSCENDENT CONQUERING GODDESS, THE FAR-REACHING PERFECTION OF DISCERNING WISDOM!

“And so, thus:

AH

This is known as the Far-Reaching Perfection of Discerning Wisdom in a Single Letter.”

They all praised what had been spoken by the Blessed One.

THE SINGLE LETTER [THE HEART-ESSENCE OF THE FAR-REACHING PERFECTION OF DISCERNING WISDOM] IS COMPLETE.

Translated by Eric Tsiknopoulos (Sherab Zangpo)
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Kare » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Kåre A. Lie
Kare

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:40 pm

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism