The Origins of Mahayana Buddhism

General forum on Mahayana.

The Origins of Mahayana Buddhism

Postby plwk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 am

Prof. Charles Willemen is currently rector and teaching professor at the International Buddhist College, Thailand.
He studied Latin, Greek, Chinese, Japanese and Sanskrit. He obtained his Ph.D. in the field of East-Asian Studies (University of Gent, Belgium).
He was assistant, guest professor and professor at different universities in Belgium, China, Canada, Japan and Thailand.

Interview with Professor Charles Willemen, IBC, Thailand and Raymond Lam, Editor, Buddhistdoor International
Filmed on location at HKU Buddhist Meditative Praxis Conference, Hong Kong, August 2013

Video editing: Stanley Tung
Music by Kevin MacLeod http://incompetech.com/
"Resignation" & "Easy Lemon"

Produced by Buddhistdoor International (2013)

Very interesting stuff although it's not the first time I have heard of such assertions but gives another take on how and what 'Mahayana' is and related to the Early Schools
plwk

Re: The Origins of Mahayana Buddhism

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:38 am

I appreciated watching this, if for no other reason than as a reminder
of Buddhism's incredibly vast history and development.
So very often someone will pull a quote, very narrowly, from a book they have picked up,
or will think the Buddha absolutely said such and such in exactly the words they are reading (in English?).

Nobody knows who it was who first rubbed two sticks together and made a fire.
But we can replicate that today, and get the same results.
Likewise, with The Dharma, we can never know, with absolute certainty, what the Buddha said.
But we can study the teachings as they have been preserved,
and test them out, and see what kinds of results we get.

I wish I had the kind of academic background that so many great scholars and researchers (and excellent teachers) have.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism