Surangama Five Great Hearts . Sanskrit

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ray Rudha

Surangama Five Great Hearts . Sanskrit

Post by Ray Rudha »

The Five Great Hearts Mantra, contained in the Surangama mantra, is easily found online in the Chinese version:

Chr Two Ni
E Jya La
Mi Li Jyu
Bwo Li Dan La Ye
Ning Jye Li

But the original Sanskrit version is almost impossible to find. Someone on this forum, on another topic, gave it as (with line numbers from the full Surangama Mantra):

104: Chedana
105: Akala
106: Mrtyu
107: Prasamana
108: Karim

Which comes out to

Chedana Akala Mrtyu Prasamana Karim

But I want to dedicate this topic to finding, with certainty, what the original and correct Sanskrit Five Great Hearts Mantra is.

This is an important and worthwhile pursuit.
Aemilius

Re: Surangama Five Great Hearts . Sanskrit

Post by Aemilius »

It should not be that difficult to find, there have been several version of it, in sanskrit.
You can look for it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shurangama_Mantra
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Ray Rudha

Post by Ray Rudha »

I'm not looking for the whole Surangama mantra, which I have, and is indeed easy to find, but rather just the 5 Great Hearts mantra, in Sanskrit.
K.Nyima

Post by K.Nyima »

I think its this:

Para vidyā cchedanīṃ.
Akālaṃ-mṭtyu pari-trāṇa-karīṃ.

as found on:
https://www.wisdomcompassion.org/surangamamantra

but the line numbers do not correspond as far as I can see, battling to find a word for word...
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

I'm highly sceptical of any Sanskrit renderings of the Shurangama Mantra because it is pretty much impossible to get Sanskrit from Chinese transliterations alone. You'd have to rely on the siddham being preserved in the Chinese canon, a Chinese manuscript copy with siddham, the original Sanskrit text surviving in South Asia, or a Tibetan parallel. While it might be possible that the siddham for the Shurangama has been preserved in its entirety, I somehow doubt it.

However, I do recall the outdoor bell at the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas being inscribed with the Shurangama mantra in Chinese, English, and Sanskrit using Tibetan script, so it might be worth checking out and taking photos, then having someone identify the key lines.

Interestingly, the Tibetan parallel for the Shurangama mantra has opted to translate the majority of the dharani, leaving only small sections in Sanskrit. The part containing the Five Great Heart Mantras has also been translated, and the phrases would be somewhere in this passage:
This great repelling practice of Bhagavati Sitatapatra, Arisen from the Ushnisha of the Tathagata, Undefeatable by Others, eliminates all bhuta-grahas, eliminates all the knowledge-mantras of others, repels all types of untimely death, liberates from everything that kills or binds sentient beings, repels all malice, bad dreams and evil omens, annihilates all demonic yaksha- and raksha-grahas, annihilates the 84,000 grahas, makes the 28 lunar mansions auspicious, annihilates the eight great planets, repels all enemies, annihilates everything hateful and malicious; bad dreams, poisons, wars, repels fire and water [and] frees from all the fears of lower rebirths.
This is drawn from an unedited, draft translation by Joona Repo.

I would hazard a guess that the Five Great Heart Mantras is somewhere in here: " eliminates all the knowledge-mantras of others, repels all types of untimely death, liberates from everything that kills or binds sentient beings, repels all malice" because "E Jya La Mi Li Jyu" most likely is some form of "akāla mrtyu", meaning untimely death.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jmlee369 wrote:
Interestingly, the Tibetan parallel for the Shurangama mantra has opted to translate the majority of the dharani, leaving only small sections in Sanskrit.
The Tibetan translation of this sūtra was made from Chinese in the 18th century on the order of the Kunlun Emperor. It never existed in Tibetan prior to this time.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Malcolm wrote:
jmlee369 wrote:
Interestingly, the Tibetan parallel for the Shurangama mantra has opted to translate the majority of the dharani, leaving only small sections in Sanskrit.
The Tibetan translation of this sūtra was made from Chinese in the 18th century on the order of the Kunlun Emperor. It never existed in Tibetan prior to this time.
True, the Shurangama Sutra itself was translated into Tibetan quite late. But the parallel dharani that I quoted is the ‘phags pa de bzhin gshegs pa’i gtsug tor nas byung ba’i gdugs dkar po can gzhan gyis mi thub pa phyir zlog pa chen mo mchog tu grub pa zhes bya ba’i gzungs translated in the 11th century, and though it is only my speculation, it seems clear to me that the Shurangama is a variant of that dharani.
divinity

Post by divinity »

K.Nyima wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 pm I think its this:

Para vidyā cchedanīṃ.
Akālaṃ-mṭtyu pari-trāṇa-karīṃ.

as found on:
https://www.wisdomcompassion.org/surangamamantra

but the line numbers do not correspond as far as I can see, battling to find a word for word...
Yes, I've verified line by line... word by words...

It's half of line #29 and all of line #30, word for word, it is:
Cchedanim
Akalam-
mttyu
Pari-tra
Nakarim

I'll be reciting all of line #29 and #30 as a whole:
29. Para vidyā cchedanīṃ.
30. Akālaṃ-mṭtyu pari-trāṇa-karīṃ.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”