Short Buddhist Chant

General forum on Mahayana.

Short Buddhist Chant

Postby TheSpirit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi,

I would like to maybe start chanting a bit in the morning. I was wondering if anybody have a short but meaningful chant in English that I can do? Preferably no mantra. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't know what is really called either.

Thank you,
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Re: Short Buddhist Chant

Postby KonchokZoepa » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 pm

If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

TheSpirit wrote:Hi,

I would like to maybe start chanting a bit in the morning. I was wondering if anybody have a short but meaningful chant in English that I can do? Preferably no mantra. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't know what is really called either.

Thank you,

I don't really understand what you are looking for by non-mantra chanting, dharanis, prayers or what?

You could just chant the three refuges:

Buddham Saranam Gacchâmi. (To the Buddha I go for refuge)
Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi. (To the Dhamma I go for refuge)
Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi. (To the Sangha I go for refuge)
Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchâmi. ( a second time To the Buddha I go for refuge)
Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi.( a second time To the Dhamma I go for refuge)
Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi. ( a second time To the Sangha I go for refuge)
Tatiyampi Buddham Saranarn Gacchâmi. ( a third time To the Buddha I go for refuge)
Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi. ( a third time To the Dhamma I go for refuge)
Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi. ( a third time To the Sangha I go for refuge)

Maybe my translations are off but you get the idea.

As simple and universal as it gets for Buddhism.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby TheSpirit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you Konchok and Johnny.

Johnny,

I am looking for something, like a manual that Buddhist chant. However I prefer one with verses that have maybe depth in meaning. Maybe a manual of small verses on cultivating virtues so on and on. I hope that is a bit more clear.
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Postby futerko » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 pm

I like to start the day with the four thoughts which turn the mind towards the dharma, which can be quite useful as a short practice, and one can elaborate on them as much or as little as one wants depending one your progress, for example, with the thought of practicing for the sake of all sentient beings, one can also visualize sending compassion and purifying the 6 lokas, generating bodhicitta, etc.

You can find out more by searching the four mind turnings, four awarenesses, four thoughts which turn the mind...

They are;

1. the precious human birth and ability to practice for the sake of all mother sentient beings
2. impermanence/flux
3. karma/causality
4. the faults of a samsaric view/need for liberation and realisation.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby conebeckham » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 pm

If you can find an English translation of the Heart Sutra, that would be a great daily chant.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm

http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/shtk.php

And some more Pali:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pali_chant.htm

There is no "manual" other than from specific organizations, if you go visit a Dharma center or something though, it's likely they'd have stuff you could take with you.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:29 pm

TheSpirit wrote:Thank you Konchok and Johnny.

Johnny,

I am looking for something, like a manual that Buddhist chant. However I prefer one with verses that have maybe depth in meaning. Maybe a manual of small verses on cultivating virtues so on and on. I hope that is a bit more clear.

This could be a good place to start:

http://www.parallax.org/cgi-bin/shopper ... y=BOOKPVCR

I agree with Cone's suggestion of the Heart Sutra.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby TheSpirit » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you very body for the suggestions. I really like the heart sutra.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
TheSpirit

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism