Would it be offensive...

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Hickersonia

Would it be offensive...

Post by Hickersonia »

I've now visited this particular Vietnamese temple twice and I'm very interested in learning the chanting / prayers that are used, not just to the point of pronouncing them well (although I've been asked if I know Vietnamese already because I apparently didn't do too awful bad at it, LOL) but to the point where I can memorize some of them and understand their meanings.

I'm already doing this with certain chants in Pali, thanks to Wat Metta's comprehensive online resources in text and audio.

Thing is, I have not been able to find any similar resources from a Vietnamese source... so I'm curious if it would likely be offensive if I asked how I could obtain a copy of the book from which we have all been reciting for the purposes of both learning the basic format, translating, and eventually memorizing some of it? I'm not really looking for them to give me one, mind you, but to know who to contact so that I can buy one myself.

Is this wholly inappropriate or would it (hopefully) be seen in the way I intend it -- admiration and intense desire to learn?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
Kaji

Re: Would it be offensive...

Post by Kaji »

I don't think that is offensive at all. Wanting to learn should be a very welcomed thing.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi Hickersonia,

It shouldn't be a problem at all. Just let them know your intentions. They will probably think it is great.

Have a good day.

Kevin
lobster

Post by lobster »

Virgo is right, civility and polite enquiry work wonders in most cultures . . . :smile:
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Great. I'm glad that it sounds like the sorta thing that wouldn't be misunderstood. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

Nope, just make sure it doesn't interfere with ur happiness or the happiness of other people
Existence can be normal.
Ex:a Apple tree is a apple tree
Ex:Michael is Michael, Michael is who Michael is

Existence can be conditioned.
Ex: Apple tree is apple tree if apple tree grows
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is a king
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is walking
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is not walking

Existence can be unconditioned
Ex: Apple is apple tree once apple tree is grown for 50 weeks
Ex: Michael is Michael once Michael is a king
Ex: Michael is content Michael once Michael is walking
Ex: Michael is discontent Michael once Michael is walking.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

Please delete my ignorant reply. Please excuse its uselessness
Existence can be normal.
Ex:a Apple tree is a apple tree
Ex:Michael is Michael, Michael is who Michael is

Existence can be conditioned.
Ex: Apple tree is apple tree if apple tree grows
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is a king
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is walking
Ex: Michael is Michael if Michael is not walking

Existence can be unconditioned
Ex: Apple is apple tree once apple tree is grown for 50 weeks
Ex: Michael is Michael once Michael is a king
Ex: Michael is content Michael once Michael is walking
Ex: Michael is discontent Michael once Michael is walking.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hickersonia wrote:I've now visited this particular Vietnamese temple twice and I'm very interested in learning the chanting / prayers that are used, not just to the point of pronouncing them well (although I've been asked if I know Vietnamese already because I apparently didn't do too awful bad at it, LOL) but to the point where I can memorize some of them and understand their meanings.

I'm already doing this with certain chants in Pali, thanks to Wat Metta's comprehensive online resources in text and audio.

Thing is, I have not been able to find any similar resources from a Vietnamese source... so I'm curious if it would likely be offensive if I asked how I could obtain a copy of the book from which we have all been reciting for the purposes of both learning the basic format, translating, and eventually memorizing some of it? I'm not really looking for them to give me one, mind you, but to know who to contact so that I can buy one myself.
From my limited experience at Vietnamese temples, the priest/monk at the temple would probably be very helpful and happy to help you with this. There are also certainly laypeople who know the chants very well and can help you with this as well.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”