"53 Mantras for Daily Use"

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Devotionary

"53 Mantras for Daily Use"

Post by Devotionary »

Good day everyone!

Devotionary here from the previous E-Sangha forum. After 3, 4 years... I've found Dharma Wheel!

I really wish to find Ven. Hui Feng!

Anyway, just a question:

In this link, http://www.cttbusa.org/talks/26.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , Master Jin Shao mentioned the book "53 Mantras for Daily Practice" by Vinaya Master Shu Yu.

May anyone knowledgeable please help me find the Chinese characters for this book, and if possible, is it available on CBETA, etc?

Might you have any comments about it?

(For those of you, such as Ven Hui Feng, who knew me from E-Sangha... well... My practice has both improved yet still stuck. My understanding has both deepened and is yet much too shallow. But one thing I know: advice from good monastics and lay people has improved my resolve! And a stint in Taiwan has improved my Chinese dramatically, LOL :p)

:twothumbsup:

Amitofo!
viniketa

Re: "53 Mantras for Daily Use"

Post by viniketa »

Huifeng-shi: http://www.dharmawheel.net/memberlist.p ... file&u=194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

Thanks! Sent Ven. Huifeng a message.
remm

Post by remm »

I'll try and ask Jin Shao Shr for you. I saw this lecture too and was wondering what the 53 mantras were as well.

I knew Jin Shao Shr before he left the home life, he was friend of mine so I hope I can just send an e-mail and get his answer!

**Update**

It's only for monastics. Haha... that's all I got. I'll try to get more info on it.
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

Thanks!

I'd like to know what it is, how it said in Chinese, so I can ask our local Dharma masters here.

Recently, they have given me instructions on mantras used in Chinese Buddhism (淨瓶, 收供水, etc), and I would like to know more about these.

If I can ask them the Chinese version, and they say that it's not appropriate for me, then I'll stop asking. But the most important step for me right now is that I ask!

Thanks again :p
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

could it be the 毗尼日用切要? If so, can anyone share his or her knowledge of the 毗尼日用切要?
remm

Post by remm »

Ok, just an update. The 53 mantras are only used for monastics (this is what I was told). They are used for entering the restroom, washing of the hands, entering a room, before sleep, and waking up etc...
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

remm wrote:Ok, just an update. The 53 mantras are only used for monastics (this is what I was told). They are used for entering the restroom, washing of the hands, entering a room, before sleep, and waking up etc...
Cannot read Chinese, but I will guess that most or many of these mantras are just verses from Pure Conduct chapter 11 of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

http://www.cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avatamsaka11.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”