Dzochenpa Census

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Yudron

Re: Dzochenpa Census

Post by Yudron »

Andrew108 wrote:Thanks Clarence and hi Geoff! Thanks for your viewpoint.
I would say that I haven't really read anything from Malcolm that couldn't be found in the Kunjed Gyalpo.
Can I ask if you are reading the Kunjed Gyalpo in translation or in Tibetan? I am not aware of any complete translation of it. Are you using the long Khenpo's commentary translated by Valby? Does it have the whole root tantra in it?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Yudron wrote: Does it have the whole root tantra in it?
Yes, at least what has been published so far.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Hi Yudron,
I'm using the Valby translation which has the commentary and the original root tantra. The Valby translation is in my opinion superb and so far three volumes have been published covering chapters 1-40 and their commentary. The whole tantra is also available as translated by Adriano Clemente.
As a student with 25 years background of practice I have never come across such an amazing text. It's superb. For those who wish to fully understand the view of Dzogchen Semde then I cannot recommend this text highly enough. It is especially important text for those who come from a Madhyamaka background and who (like me) mistook some of the finer points of Dzogchen Semde. My assertion would be that it is impossible to practice Thögyal without first realizing the meaning of the Dzogchen view as outlined in Kunjed Gyalpo. This is just my assertion though and for some it may not be necessary.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Yudron wrote:I am not aware of any complete translation of it.
There is a complete translation by Neumaier Dargyay, however, I've heard that this translation isn't that great (but my tibetan skills are still way to bad to judge about that, so I don't know how good or bad the translation actually is).
Last edited by Bhusuku on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Andrew108 wrote:The whole tantra is also available as translated by Adriano Clemente.
Really? Didn't know that. Can you tell me where I can get Adriano's translation?
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Bhusuku wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:The whole tantra is also available as translated by Adriano Clemente.
Really? Didn't know that. Can you tell me where I can get Adriano's translation?
Hi Adriano's translation is called 'The Supreme Source' available from ShangShung or Amazon. :smile:
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Andrew108 wrote:
Bhusuku wrote:
Hi Adriano's translation is called 'The Supreme Source' available from ShangShung or Amazon. :smile:
But the Supreme source contains only excerpts of the KG, not the whole translation.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Bhusuku wrote:
Andrew108 wrote: Hi Adriano's translation is called 'The Supreme Source' available from ShangShung or Amazon. :smile:
But the Supreme source contains only excerpts of the KG, not the whole translation.
But what has been translated in the Supreme Source is quite representative of KG.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Sönam wrote:But what has been translated in the Supreme Source is quite representative of KG.
Of course. But since Andrew mentioned that Adriano has translated the whole thing, I thought he wasn't talking about the Supreme Source, but another book.
heart

Post by heart »

I would say that I haven't really read anything from Malcolm that couldn't be found in the Kunjed Gyalpo.
It is a wonderful text but as I remember it the audience in this Tantra are practitioners Mahayoga, Auyoga and Atiyoga. I think you have to elaborate a little if I am going to understand how Malcolms latest post correspond with this Tantra.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

heart wrote:
It is a wonderful text but as I remember it the audience in this Tantra are practitioners Mahayoga, Auyoga and Atiyoga. I think you have to elaborate a little if I am going to understand how Malcolms latest post correspond with this Tantra.

/magnus
The audience for this tantra is anyone who is inspired to seek it out and inspired by what is put forward in the tantra.
I''m not really interested in discussing about what Malcolm posts apart from to say that I'm glad he continues to post. Personally I understand what he writes from the point of view of the Kunjed Gyalpo and that helps.
But of course Greg was right to point out that it is unskilful to seem triumphalist when talking about Dzogchen vis a vis other schools/approaches.
The Blessed One said:

heart

Post by heart »

Andrew108 wrote:
heart wrote: It is a wonderful text but as I remember it the audience in this Tantra are practitioners Mahayoga, Auyoga and Atiyoga. I think you have to elaborate a little if I am going to understand how Malcolms latest post correspond with this Tantra.

/magnus
The audience for this tantra is anyone who is inspired to seek it out and inspired by what is put forward in the tantra.
I''m not really interested in discussing about what Malcolm posts apart from to say that I'm glad he continues to post. Personally I understand what he writes from the point of view of the Kunjed Gyalpo and that helps.
But of course Greg was right to point out that it is unskilful to seem triumphalist when talking about Dzogchen vis a vis other schools/approaches.
I have the Tantra here close to my computer. My Guru gave me permission to study it almost 20 years ago when I came across E. K. Neumaier-Dargyay first translation, the Supreme Source is a infinitely better translation. Anyway, the audience in the Tantra are defined as practitioners of atiyoga, anuyoga, mahayoga and sattvayoga, it is on page 135 in my edition. I think this is an interesting point that clearly show how closely related these yanas are. This is what I been trying to say in these discussions all the time, that from a practical point of view there is a lot of overlapping between the inner Tantras. Take a look at Tulku Urgyens two volumes "As it is" and you will see abundant overlapping with Dzogchen as the heart of it all. And for your information I am a Dzogchen practitioner.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Jnana wrote:
Andrew108 wrote: I've been inspired my Malcolm but must clarify that he is speaking from the point of view of the Dzogchen tantras and this is the caveat.
Bullshit. Malcolm is speaking from the point of view of Malcolm.
Jnana, what views do you think differ from the Dzogchen tantras?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

heart wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:
heart wrote: It is a wonderful text but as I remember it the audience in this Tantra are practitioners Mahayoga, Auyoga and Atiyoga. I think you have to elaborate a little if I am going to understand how Malcolms latest post correspond with this Tantra.

/magnus
I have the Tantra here close to my computer. My Guru gave me permission to study it almost 20 years ago when I came across E. K. Neumaier-Dargyay first translation, the Supreme Source is a infinitely better translation. Anyway, the audience in the Tantra are defined as practitioners of atiyoga, anuyoga, mahayoga and sattvayoga, it is on page 135 in my edition. I think this is an interesting point that clearly show how closely related these yanas are. This is what I been trying to say in these discussions all the time, that from a practical point of view there is a lot of overlapping between the inner Tantras. Take a look at Tulku Urgyens two volumes "As it is" and you will see abundant overlapping with Dzogchen as the heart of it all. And for your information I am a Dzogchen practitioner.

/magnus
As I already proposed it in another thread, and if ever Buddhism had the privileged place of the "Ultimate Limitation" ... none other would have a better place

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

heart wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:

/magnus

/magnus
Hi Magnus,
If possible try to get hold of the Valby translations. Really wonderful.
The Blessed One said:

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

/magnus
Of course it is addressed to Maha, Anu Yoga practitioners (Supreme Source, 1st chapter, p.135: Also present are yogins who are following the four paths of atiyoga, anuyoga, mahayoga and sattvayoga) ... but what does it tell them?

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

He says that was present ati, anu, maha yoga ... and sattvayoga. Those who practice sattva-yoga, symbolized by Sattva-vajra.

"[Sattvavajra asked:] Teachers of teachers, supreme source, I too am among your disciples, but what is the meaning of my manifestation? Why am I here? I beseech you, please explain this to me!"

those who follow a buddhist cursus ... and those who practice sattvayoga.

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
heart

Post by heart »

Andrew108 wrote: Hi Magnus,
If possible try to get hold of the Valby translations. Really wonderful.
I have the first volume but I find it difficult to read.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Mr. G wrote:Jnana, what views do you think differ from the Dzogchen tantras?
For what it's worth, I generally either agree with much of what Malcolm has to say on dzogchen or have no opinion on it one way or another. But to assert that he is "speaking from the point of view of the Dzogchen tantras and this is the caveat" implies that his opinions are more valid and authoritative than those of dzogchen teachers who present dzogchen within the terma framework of ngöndro, three root practices, and so on. I don't see any good reason to accept his opinions as more valid than those of others, and it seems to me that many of the tangents that have been argued at length on the Dzogchen sub-forum lately are hypotheticals with little or no substance.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Jnana wrote:
Mr. G wrote:Jnana, what views do you think differ from the Dzogchen tantras?
For what it's worth, I generally either agree with much of what Malcolm has to say on dzogchen or have no opinion on it one way or another. But to assert that he is "speaking from the point of view of the Dzogchen tantras and this is the caveat" implies that his opinions are more valid and authoritative than those of dzogchen teachers who present dzogchen within the terma framework of ngöndro, three root practices, and so on. I don't see any good reason to accept his opinions as more valid than those of others, and it seems to me that many of the tangents that have been argued at length on the Dzogchen sub-forum lately are hypotheticals with little or no substance.
Yep. Understood.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Lounge”