Website to help maintain a regular practice

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
medivate

Website to help maintain a regular practice

Postby medivate » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 am

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a website that helps practitioners commit to and maintain a regular meditation practice. It’s called Medivate--from “meditate” and “motivate.”

We have a trial version of the site ready, at http://www.medivate.org. Please take a look! I’m hoping you’ll find it helpful in maintaining a regular practice. At any rate, I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts and feedback on it.

Best wishes,
Frederick Meyer

simhamuka

Re: Website to help maintain a regular practice

Postby simhamuka » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 am

I like the idea of making a commitment and sticking to it. The comment line, I'm not sure the comment line (unlike the rest of it) supports good habits. I don't think it's a good idea to step back and judge one's meditation. Often the days that I think things were going well, I wasn't doing as well as I thought, and days when I thought it was going poorly, I could look back later and see that it was great progress.

I think it was HH the Dalai Lama who said we need to give at least ... I think it was five years? ... before we can judge how well we're doing.

I was taught that often when we move to a deeper meditation, we think that we've gotten worse.
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:30 am

I suggest you make it possible for newcomers to see what it might be about, before having to register. I think you will find very few takers for any site for which registration is compulsory.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi

username

Postby username » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 am

Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes

dharmagoat

Postby dharmagoat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 am

username

Postby username » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 am

Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes

Return to “Lounge”