Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Anything goes (almost).

Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Just watched a citizen of the USA express disapproval at the archaic nature of our monarchy as an inherited 'head of state' position.

An Englishman replied:

'Yes, but we have no choice about who is crowned, whereas you people elected Bush and his son.

This means you prefer a system where people actively choose to elect the insane and inbred, as opposed to simply inheriting them.'

:woohoo:
Left
Blue Garuda

Re: Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Postby Ogyen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:32 pm

:rolling:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 am

Damn Straight.

And she's tough too...

Down here we have the great advantage of a monarchy we don't even have to pay for... :twothumbsup:

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 am

Though I do envy Thailand having a king who can play Jazz...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/60yrsthrone/jazzy/index.html

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Paul » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 am

Following this weekend, I have concluded 'bunting' is the most English word ever.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul

Postby plwk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am

plwk

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am

Live TV is great for bloopers.

Cue a BBC reporter who asked Elton John what he would do if he was Queen for a day! LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Indrajala » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:28 pm

There are advantages to having a monarchy in the fact that they have long-term vested interests in the well-being of the nation, while elected politicians tend to think in election cycles. A monarch can have long-term plans and carry them out even when it proves unpopular, while elected politicians have much more difficulty doing this. A party's plans can be turned over if they lose the majority. The other factor in favour of monarchies is that if you don't rule well plenty of people beneath you are willing to take your throne from you.

That being said the British monarchy has no real power and are not accountable for anything. Might as well drop them if they're just there to look good.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Jikan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 pm

In Matthijs van Boxsel's book The Encyclopedia of Stupidity, the longest chapter by far is called "On the Inherent Stupidity of Constitutional Monarchies." It occupies about half of the book. It's brilliant work, by the way.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Clarence » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Huseng wrote:That being said the British monarchy has no real power and are not accountable for anything. Might as well drop them if they're just there to look good.

I live in a monarchy. Not a cool one like the British but an uncool one. However, it is said that the British Monarchy brings in more money (tourism, business, etc.) than it costs. Our monarchy doesn't but most people like 'm anyway.
Clarence

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

kilt_fail.jpg
kilt_fail.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 294 times
kilt_fail.jpg
kilt_fail.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 294 times
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Malcolm wrote:
kilt_fail.jpg
kilt_fail.jpg

Look like the dead badger on his skirt woke up! LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Clarence wrote:
Huseng wrote:That being said the British monarchy has no real power and are not accountable for anything. Might as well drop them if they're just there to look good.

I live in a monarchy. Not a cool one like the British but an uncool one. However, it is said that the British Monarchy brings in more money (tourism, business, etc.) than it costs. Our monarchy doesn't but most people like 'm anyway.

To continue with the funny stuff:

Boris Pfeffel-Johnson, Mayor of London, apparently got very excited and proclaimed that the DNA of the history of the British Isles runs in the veins of the Queen. A heckler quickly shut him up with - the truth. :jawdrop:

Yup, the blood of the British sure ran quite a lot thanks to her inbred ancestors and relatives!

Pssst - don't believe all you hear about the Royals attracting huge tourism income and negotiating 'export' deals. You can believe the film of Fergie with a fake Sheikh though, offering personal access to 'Airmiles Andy' for a few thousand quid. ;)

We do have other attractions, and this year some tourists may actually come for the Olympics and offset the massive cost of security and erection of white elephant buildings, which like the Dome they'll have to sell off afterwards to the corporations who really run the place anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I like the bumbling idiots in charge of our country, including the Royals and Boris the Buffoon - it's part of being British that we celebrate goons.

I mean, you may have to bump off a princess so her hubby can marry his horse, and pretend the kid with the red hair is one of his, but that's the rich pantomime entertainment the Royal sopa opera provides for our entertainment. Should we syndicate it or add em into the plot of the next Pirates of the Caribbean? LOL :)

Until then, I'd rather find a bankrupt third world island with a corrupt government and live out my days on the beach under the palm trees. OK, I'd only have to move to Devon but hey, it could be worse - I could be Welsh!
(What's that? I am? Granny never told me about that one....Lloyd George, you say.................Hmmmmmm.) :rolling:
Left
Blue Garuda

Return to Lounge