'Cults' and Buddhism: How do we safeguard ourselves?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
thornbush

'Cults' and Buddhism: How do we safeguard ourselves?

Post by thornbush »

As the title suggests: how do we safeguard ourselves?

A common definition of what is a 'cult' as found in this link: (refer to no.6's definition)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

What can we do as Buddhists? What is our response? Your ideas please... :thanks:
davcuts

Re: 'Cults' and Buddhism: How do we safeguard ourselves?

Post by davcuts »

The best thing anyone can do about cults is educate themselves. If there is a tradition someone is interested in all it takes is a quick google search to see what is being said about them. People also need to know the warning signs of a cult. Some of the warning signs is being told to believe on blind faith or face being banned from their center, and being taught only a certain teacher and tradition are the only way to reach enlightenment. A person also needs to ask themselves if they are a prime target for a cult. Anyone who is seeking a place to belong, or finding meaning in their life are easy targets for a cult. People who think they are too smart to ever get caught up in a cult should think again. Cults are deceptive and they can target the most educated into their belief system. They after all will more than likely be able to donate the most amount of money. It all comes down to educating yourself about the danger of cults. Sadly some people attend a Buddhist tradition not knowing anything about its background, or anything about Buddhism for that matter. People like that are easy prey for cults. Not that I would know anything about that. :roll:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Be suspicious of aggressive fundraising. Large amounts of money can corrupt even nice people easily. A real master should display non-attachment to wordly things (even if he/she uses them occasionally).
Drolma

Post by Drolma »

The best thing anyone can do about cults is educate themselves.
:thumbsup:
Eternal Spirit

Post by Eternal Spirit »

Dear Forum

How do we safeguard ourselves?

By realising the Eternal Spirit.

When the Eternal Spirit is actualised, there is complete freedom, self-sufficiency & independence.

The Eternal Spirit will receive all things, flow thru all things, be with all things but be untouched by all things, like the clear sky accepts all things but remains Eternal and pure.

The Eternal Spirit can safeguard ourselves.

LuzdelaLuna

Post by LuzdelaLuna »

Anybody else see the irony in Eternal Spirit's post and the accompanying link to a website? Safeguard yourself!

:tongue:
If you can't find the truth right in front of you, where do you expect to find it? - Dogen

blog
Luke

Post by Luke »

LuzdelaLuna wrote:Anybody else see the irony in Eternal Spirit's post and the accompanying link to a website? Safeguard yourself!

:tongue:
Indeed. While I usually do support free speech, this IS a Buddhist website. People with little respect for Buddhism who simply repeat the dogma of a non-Buddhist religion over and over again contribute nothing meaningful to the forum.

If Eternal Spirit wanted to start his own thread in the lounge or something, that would be one thing, but consistently derailing other people's threads with his own propaganda is quite rude. Furthermore, Eternal Spirit's signature seems to be picture which is a grotesque parody of Buddha. If this is the case, it should be removed.

Some other Buddhist forums have "no proselytizing" in their TOS. I suggest we do the same.
Eternal Spirit

Post by Eternal Spirit »

The Eternal Boundless Spirit is where freedom, happiness & independence can be found.

Discovering the Eternal Boundless Spirit within one's heart is the source of complete independence.

The Eternal Spirit floats above & beyond the world, including above the temple roofs, as pictured.

There are no cults above & beyond the temple roofs.

Free is NOW! :woohoo:

OH
Boundless Joy
to find at last
there is no HAPPINESS
in this world

:anjali:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Is this eternal spirit shunyata? Or your understanding of dharmakaya?
Eternal Spirit

Post by Eternal Spirit »

Dear Ngawang Drolma

All liberating Dharmas have the Eternal Spirit as their culmination.

Equally, the Eternal Spirit is the way to fulfilling all liberating Dhammas.

Shunyata, Dharmakaya, Original Mind, Nirvana and the Eternal Spirit are mere words expressing the one Heartwood, namely, the Liberation of mind, heart & spirit.

The Eternal Spirit is Clear Light, Space & Stillness. It encompasses all good & wholesome things.

The Eternal Spirit is the Uncreated, the Unconcocted, the Unborn & the Undying.

:anjali:
Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

I re-read this post and decided it was off topic, so I've deleted it.

Dazzle :anjali:
Last edited by Dazzle on Sun May 31, 2009 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caz namyaw

Post by Caz namyaw »

Yes you must be carefull of cults, especially the big ones, in particular the cult of personality that sorrounds them travelling about from place to place wearing the robes as a humble buddhist smileing a peaceful smile, but also wearing a double face appearences are deceptive, Blind faith is a tool they use, complete obedience to the master nothing this one does can be wrong, a facade as a great leader true it may seem but the divinity attributed to such a one may be just a hollow shell as their personal actions tell all.

To uncover the reality behind them one must observe the objects that a spiritual guide should possess and examine their actions extremly carefully to see if they accord with the buddhism they are ment to be following.....No matter how famous they may be, no matter what high esteem they may hold investigation must be taken to see if they are correct nature for being a guide along the path, are they humble, free from worldly attachments, keep an eye to see if they travell in style, Investigate has this person caused others harm by their own personal actions.......

The cult of personality is very much alive and well.....

I read a very interesting peice of work " stripping the gurus"
have a read im sure you will find it very interesting.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6996781/Strip ... ightenment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peace

xxx
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hi Caz,

I understand that you are having an issue regarding the group you practice with and the rules here. There is an ongoing thread in the forum called "Vajrayana" requesting members' opinions about the NKT and you are welcome to contribute there. I've moved your other post into that thread.

Regarding the Dalai Lama and cults, I think your motive for posting a link the material you have is transparent. I doubt that I'm alone in saying it's unlikely that Tibetan Buddhists would generally agree with your assertion.

Please Caz, if you would like to be treated with fairness and kindness here I suggest you start by sweeping your own porch clean. For my part, I'll do the same.

Sincere thanks,
:namaste:
Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

_/\_ May His Holiness have long life and happiness _/\_

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

I think people necessarily look to teachers without first researching themselves.

I would never join any teacher on any regular basis. One only needs a teacher to learn basic meditation -- but ultimately YOU MUST DO THE WORK YOURSELF AND RESEARCH EVERYTHING YOURSELF and advance yourself.

I have tons of books, I learned to meditate and do BUDDHIST MEDITATION on my own by reading various suttas. Buddhist meditation is very different than all other forms.

So knowledge is power and all should empower themselves by reading for themselves and practicing diligently on a daily basis.

People only get into trouble when they start depending on others for knowledge without thinking for themselves.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

This is a about proselytizing, derailing threads, or blatantly mocking the Buddha.
Further disruptive posts will be removed without notice.

Thanks,
Ngawang Drolma

Return to “Lounge”