on love...

Anything goes (almost).

on love...

Postby Ogyen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:37 am

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.
For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.
Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God’s sacred feast.
All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life’s heart.
But if in your fear you would seek only love’s peace and love’s pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love’s threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.
When you love you should not say, “God is in my heart,” but rather, “I am in the heart of God.”
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.
Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

--Kahlil Gibran
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Re: on love...

Postby Fu Ri Shin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 am

Oof. Forgot about that poem. A magnificent, if emotionally exhausting read. Thank you, Ogyen.

Much more than the last time I read it, the imagery speaks to me. I've heard people express all sorts of opinions about what to do with steady, a-rock-in-your-heart love. I've let it stay as long as it has wished, and the repayment has been a seemingly infinite well of discovery. Not to mention the joy.

I really should get The Prophet out again one of these days...
"Once delusion is extinguished, your wisdom naturally arises and you don’t differentiate suffering and joy. Actually, this joy and this suffering, they are the same."

— Chinese hermit, Amongst White Clouds
Fu Ri Shin

Postby Ogyen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Fu Ri Shin wrote:Oof. Forgot about that poem. A magnificent, if emotionally exhausting read. Thank you, Ogyen.

Much more than the last time I read it, the imagery speaks to me. I've heard people express all sorts of opinions about what to do with steady, a-rock-in-your-heart love. I've let it stay as long as it has wished, and the repayment has been a seemingly infinite well of discovery. Not to mention the joy.

I really should get The Prophet out again one of these days...

The Prophet is wonderful - kind of my second Dhammapada...

I've never thought of it as emotionally exhausting, but now that you mention it, I can see how its intensity could at times feel that way... I think perhaps I can be a bit emotionally exhausting too with how relentlessly I follow this path... :rolling:

the reward is the giving itself. cliche' as it sounds..

Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby catmoon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 am

I was reading through it thinking hmm, I do believe Oggie's poetry is improving. It's a bit over the top, and the meter is off, but not bad really... then the author's name scrolled into view. :rolling:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Ogyen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:45 pm

catmoon wrote:I was reading through it thinking hmm, I do believe Oggie's poetry is improving. It's a bit over the top, and the meter is off, but not bad really... then the author's name scrolled into view. :rolling:

:jumping:

Mud to Lotus

Ogyen

Postby greentara » Sun May 06, 2012 1:34 am

Ramana Maharshi who is wisdom and love itself... tells us: It is the Light which ever shines in the Cave of the Heart, as the flame of the Consciousness, 'I-I' - the eternal and blissful Sat Chit Ananda. This is the answer to self enquiry and its fulfillment. The 'I', which has carried out a determined and protracted search into its own nature, has at long last found itself to be not other than the Pure Mind, the immaculate Being, which is eternally wrapped in blissful stillness.
greentara

Postby Wesley1982 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Nothing to comment about genuine love.
Wesley1982

Postby Anders » Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Ogyen wrote:But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

--Kahlil Gibran

:bow: :anjali:
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby greentara » Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 pm

"Oh friend, I love you, think this over"
"I laugh when I hear that the fish in the water is thirsty"
"Friend, hope for the Guest while you are alive."