"that resonates with me."

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Re: "that resonates with me."

Post by DGA »

rachmiel wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:If we don't know remember or notice the positive associations we have already made with (e.g.) a song or a person, we are more likely to make a vague assertion that it/they "resonate" with us. (In terms of rachmiel's post, we have been pre-tuned to that [resonant] frequency. :tongue: )
Of course, it is also possible that we established those positive associations in previous lives ... but I don't like to spend too much time speculating on matters of which I can know nothing.
To conclude that resonance is simply a conditioned response -- a bell that triggers an unconscious memory-based association in a particular brain/mind -- might be selling resonance short.

Perhaps resonance is, at times, an insight into truth. It's the ground that resonates, and this resonance is perceived by the particular brain/mind.

I don't know the Buddhist terms for truth, ground, or particular brain/mind, but you get the point ja?
It could reflect a truth, and often does. But it might not necessarily do so, and the truth it reflects may not be so straightforward. And if we're looking to resonance as a kind of compass-point to direct us to practice, then it may or may not be helpful ultimately. For some, the anti-vaccine movement resonates perfectly with a suspicion of big business and big government... and because some parents now practice anti-vaccination as a doctrine, the US is facing a measles problem and children are suffering.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Jikan wrote:What does it mean when one says that a certain text or teacher "resonates" with him or her? In many contexts, it seems to imply a certain kind of validity; for instance, a member of our local group once tied himself in knots because he found both Rajneesh and Zen to "resonate" with him, even though they are not in agreement.

Is "resonating" a criterion for truth?
What on earth is it anyway?
Honestly, I've never seen any connection in my own life between what spiritual teachers or practices I thought "resonated" with me and which actually helped me. I think saying a practice resonates is a way of saying one likes it or finds it appealing, but things one likes or find appealing can be like candy, tasty but useless.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

We seem to be homing in on a consensus here, don't we?

:group:
Kim
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

I have always taken a very strict view of this metaphor. Certain sounds aren't able to be heard at all because of the space they are being projected into. Others "resonate" well and are clearly understood. In a similar fashion, sometimes, due to our past experiences and certain mental dispositions, certain teachers and their teachings just don't sit well with us.

I am not sure if this resonating is a good thing or a bad thing necessarily. However, as with anything, I am sure that a resonating teacher helping or a non-resonating teaching helping ultimately comes down to right effort.

SamBodhi
no tea is too good for me
muni

Post by muni »

Its’ empty energy resonating, creating a sense of recognition?

Can be a trap when there is clinging to it as mine; my Buddhism. Then there is other which is not mine. And then there is holding on satisfaction of our good feeling/rightness about, going to defend it.

But it will be difficult to start to follow teaching/guidance which is not creating a sense of YES, since trust is so crucial.

All is by causes and conditions. A candle cannot burn on itself.

Life before.
I think it means there was a karmic relationship that was established in the past.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

When I speak of something as having resonance for me, it definitely comes from a feeling that I have a tie to it. However, I take care with distinguishing the recognition of past experiences that are of little value with those that are more along the lines of "unfinished business." For example, when I visited Scotland, I felt a strong sense that I was "home." I feel my karmic ties to Scotland are what has led me to be born into my current family, which is Anglo/Scots-Irish in descent. However, I also feel like my ties with Scotland are sort of a done deal. I know what they are and where they've taken me. That's all I really need.

It's when I bump into feelings of resonance regarding religious teachings that I have a harder time. For what it's worth, it's clear to me that my ties to Christianity have always been fairly shallow. I was a devout and devoted Catholic, but the G-D of Abraham didn't return the favor. In fact, he gave me the silent treatment. When I prayed to him, I always seemed to feel this great hollow despair inside me, as if the guy on the other end had picked up the receiver, heard who it was, and hung up on me. He didn't just not answer my prayers. It was as if I actively angered him by daring to practice the religion of his people. So I was overjoyed when, not long after I started praying to other gods, some of them started answering me. The Shinto kami Ame no Uzume is the one I credit for passing me on to Benzaiten-sama, aka Sarasvati. I was so clumsy at first, and so clearly not "hers." It was as if she just turned to Benzaiten-sama and said "Hey, this one's driving me crazy. YOU deal with her."

So far, my own personal practice is a synthesis of those things which "resonate with me." This includes the more syncretic elements of Japanese Buddhism, such as the Honji Suijaku paradigm. Yet I also feel tied to Tibetan Buddhism as well. My altar/butsudan/gompa is currently a mishmash of styles - Shinto, Tendai, Tibetan, even Pureland. But all those elements are there for a reason, and my practice wouldn't be complete without them.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
muni

Post by muni »

I feel my karmic ties to Scotland
ah wis doon the Scotts glens, fel ma ego wee,( oot of toots), masel losing in sky. Mibbe this is a toot aboot.

A little fluffy Scottish Highland cow is next to big Buddha statue in the middle of the room. No problem other than own deluded mind.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA

Return to “Lounge”