Self-Sufficiency & Homesteading Chat

Anything goes (almost).

Self-Sufficiency & Homesteading Chat

Postby Mr. G » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Nangwa wrote:
This is my plan.
I have recently changed careers in order to start earning more money so I can eventually purchase my own secluded property and retire at an early age.
Financial planning is absolutely essential for everyone in our society but if you want to have time for long term retreat we have to start creating the conditions and circumstances now.

Nangwa,

Are you thinking about setting up a homesteading environment and living off the interest of savings? I've been researching homesteading on and off and haven't really confirmed whether it was truly viable or not.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: Guidance on renunciation

Postby Josef » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Nangwa wrote:
This is my plan.
I have recently changed careers in order to start earning more money so I can eventually purchase my own secluded property and retire at an early age.
Financial planning is absolutely essential for everyone in our society but if you want to have time for long term retreat we have to start creating the conditions and circumstances now.

Nangwa,

Are you thinking about setting up a homesteading environment and living off the interest of savings? I've been researching homesteading on and off and haven't really confirmed whether it was truly viable or not.

Yes.
Hopefully I will be able to build a small gonpa as well so we can host teachings etc.
Josef

Re: Self-Sufficiency & Homesteading

Postby Mr. G » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:01 pm

I did come across this blog:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

He recently went back to work, but before that he retired early and lived off of 7K a year.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Josef » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Mr. G wrote:I did come across this blog:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

He recently went back to work, but before that he retired early and lived off of 7K a year.

Thanks for the link.
I will check it out.

It's going to be a gradual process but there are areas in AZ that are between Scottsdale and Flagstaff that are really comfortable and undeveloped.
I want to get out there.
Josef

Re: Self-Sufficiency & Homesteading Chat

Postby justsit » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Nangwa wrote:... living off the interest of savings? I've been researching homesteading on and off and haven't really confirmed whether it was truly viable or not.

What I did was quit my day job, sold the house, bought a cheap house trailer, and do ebay or other part-time type stuff for cash. Got rid of all the extras - TV, magazine subscriptions, expensive haircuts, eating out, etc. I grow as much food as I can, but can't have animals here. My needs are, fortunately, minimal, the largest expense being the car, which is necessary as this area is rural with little public transportation. 7K total is a bit less than what I've been using.

The interest from savings was pretty much sufficient until the last 2-3 years, and now it isn't enough, as income has dwindled and costs have increased. I have 3 years until Social Security, and finding a job other than McDeath within 40 miles is pretty slim, so for now I'm spending principal. It's not doable for much longer. Have been considering cheap land in WV, KY, or TN, using the last of the principal to outfit an off the grid cabin, but would need young guy muscle and skills to make it work. (Hold the smart remarks, please.) I've heated solely with wood, that works, and can put up food, but growing all your own food is a huge endeavor, especially considering weather unpredictability. You pretty much have to buy staples, I think.

I still think a communal type setting is the way to go, that way each person doesn't have to pay for all the basics like tools, etc. Not so much one big house, though, more along the lines of a bunch of small cabins, so each person/couple can have some privacy and can practice.
justsit

Postby Josef » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Mr. G wrote:

There isnt really any interest right now but there are still quality investment vehicles that can provide anywhere from 6-9 percent over the long term.
It's really a matter of discipline more than anything else.
Josef

Postby kirtu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Nangwa wrote:It's going to be a gradual process but there are areas in AZ that are between Scottsdale and Flagstaff that are really comfortable and undeveloped.
I want to get out there.

Is there any water out that way or are you planning on harvesting water?

I was considering the Modena, Utah area. Generally the cheapest land in North America is in the West and in the desert.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am

I also just saw an ad for relatively inexpensive yurts (~$4500) in Snow Lion.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:34 am

kirtu wrote:
Nangwa wrote:It's going to be a gradual process but there are areas in AZ that are between Scottsdale and Flagstaff that are really comfortable and undeveloped.
I want to get out there.

I was considering the Modena, Utah area. Generally the cheapest land in North America is in the West and in the desert.

Kirt

Yeah, not a lot of water but there is water out there.
Having our own well would be ideal but we will see what works out.
Josef

Postby kirtu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 am

Nangwa wrote:
kirtu wrote:
I want to get out there.

Kirt

Yeah, not a lot of water but there is water out there.
Having our own well would be ideal but we will see what works out.

The architect who created Earthships has proposed harvesting water and apparently is able to do so in Arizona. However Colorado and some other Western states have declared this to be illegal, including apparently harvesting rain.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Lounge