Castration of rabbits

Anything goes (almost).

Castration of rabbits

Postby Inge » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi.
There are six rabbits living in my garden. Two of them are males. I can't take care of more than these six, so I keep the males separated in a small yard(?) (5 square meters), with high fences since they are good climbers. The females share a larger area. I don't like this arrangement since I'm sure sooner or later the males and females will find a way to meet and mate, and also the males don't like being restricted to such a small space. Therefore I'm considering getting the males castrated, but I'm hesitant as I think this is a invasive intervention, and I don't want to mess up their development. What do you know or think about castration? Is it going to ruin this life (or future lives) for the rabbits?
Inge

Re: Castration of rabbits

Postby KeithBC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:27 am

The community that I live in used to have a problem with feral cats. We eventually concluded that the suffering - freezing in winter, being run over on the road in summer, starving and diseased all the time - caused by unrestricted breeding was unconscionable. We set up a program to live-trap the cats and to neuter them, both male and female, and return them to their colonies. The result is that the colony size is gradually shrinking through natural attrition. The cats have more resources available per individual. There is less hormonally-influenced aggression. The cats are much better-off now than they were before. Their overall health is improved, and their risk of reproductive cancers is eliminated.

There is no way it is going to ruin the rabbits' lives.

There will be karma in it for you, so be sure that your motives are clear before going ahead.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby LastLegend » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 am

Release the rabbits into the wild.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Postby Inge » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 pm

KeithBC wrote:The community that I live in used to have a problem with feral cats. We eventually concluded that the suffering - freezing in winter, being run over on the road in summer, starving and diseased all the time - caused by unrestricted breeding was unconscionable. We set up a program to live-trap the cats and to neuter them, both male and female, and return them to their colonies. The result is that the colony size is gradually shrinking through natural attrition. The cats have more resources available per individual. There is less hormonally-influenced aggression. The cats are much better-off now than they were before. Their overall health is improved, and their risk of reproductive cancers is eliminated.

There is no way it is going to ruin the rabbits' lives.

There will be karma in it for you, so be sure that your motives are clear before going ahead.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

It's not so easy sorting out my motives. It seems like what they want, is also what would be most convenient for me - to release them into the wild as LastLegend suggests. This however seems somewhat irresponsible, as I'm unsure if they would be able to survive the winters here.

What is most important - their want for freedom, or my sense of duty to protect them?
Inge

Return to Lounge