US City Retires Coal Fired Power Plant

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
edearl

US City Retires Coal Fired Power Plant

Post by edearl »

An interview with the head of City Public Service (CPS) in San Antonio told of the city's efforts to become greener. A coal fired power plant will be retired soon, and the city will help people improve home insulation instead of building another power plant! The city owned CPS plans to have 20% of its power generation from renewable sources by 2020. And, they are beginning to put outlets around the city for recharging electric cars. These efforts are partly due to President Obama's energy policies. Perhaps there is hope for the US controlling its carbon emissions, regardless of Congressional opposition to environmental protection.

http://www.cpsenergy.com/Residential/In ... an_faq.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
ronnewmexico

Re: US City Retires Coal Fired Power Plant

Post by ronnewmexico »

Pull back those reigns a bit partner.....

In New Mexico the newly elected republican governor removed all the energy savings measures required by the previous democratic governor(Bill Richardson)
to be present when a builder built a new home.

So one step foward in one place one step back in another....The new governor is doing what she can to remove drivers license permitting to considered illegal immigrants(so we can all pay higher car insurance rates), and to once again install the death penalty. revoked by the actions of the previous adminstration.

It really matters at a local level at times who we vote for...nationally not so much perhaps, both saying different things but doing about the same.
Locally what they do is really differing.

I wouldn't be to optimistic..by my take the karmic future of the US has now become(long term)...quite bleek.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
edearl

Re: US City Retires Coal Fired Power Plant

Post by edearl »

ronnewmexico wrote:Pull back those reigns a bit partner.....

In New Mexico the newly elected republican governor removed all the energy savings measures required by the previous democratic governor(Bill Richardson)
to be present when a builder built a new home.

So one step foward in one place one step back in another....The new governor is doing what she can to remove drivers license permitting to considered illegal immigrants(so we can all pay higher car insurance rates), and to once again install the death penalty. revoked by the actions of the previous adminstration.

It really matters at a local level at times who we vote for...nationally not so much perhaps, both saying different things but doing about the same.
Locally what they do is really differing.

I wouldn't be to optimistic..by my take the karmic future of the US has now become(long term)...quite bleek.
I hope you are not correct. Unfortunately, you may be right.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."

Return to “Lounge”