So this forum is comprised mostly of former New-Age hippies?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: So this forum is comprised mostly of former New-Age hippies?

Post by Grigoris »

padma norbu wrote:Bah, Portishead ain't psychedelia.
Pedant! Trip Hop then...

PS The other stuf you posted, except Helios Creed, I would personally out in the genre of electro not psychedelic. Anyway the Helio Creed song is just a (bad) remix of a true 60's psychedelic track by the Velvet Underground (with Nico).
Last edited by Grigoris on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Pedant! Trip Hop then...

Modern psychedelia is like the magic mushroom band, ozric tentacles, etc.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You are thinking of Psychedelic Trance my friend. (edit) Ooooops my mistake, I was thinking about Infected Mushroom and not Magic Mushroom Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-3-TVj ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was not pointing to a particular genre of music but to psychedelic as a descriptor of feeling.

Trip Hop is pretty damn psychedelic.
Last edited by Grigoris on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Pedant! Trip Hop then...
Wellll... people call it "triphop," but the other names for it are downtempo and chill out, neither of which really describes the euphoric blastoff of psychedelics. The sound is really far from psychedelic, imo. Not warped, weird, buzzing with intense energy or spirituality. Kind of mopey, actually. Sounds like after hours music for unwinding with a scotch and trying to put the moves on a classy babe in a nice lounge somewhere. Or lying in your bed crying in the dark in your college dorm.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Namdrol wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Pedant! Trip Hop then...

Modern psychedelia is like the magic mushroom band, ozric tentacles, etc.

Agreed. Ozrics are great background music.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

padma norbu wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Pedant! Trip Hop then...
Wellll... people call it "triphop," but the other names for it are downtempo and chill out, neither of which really describes the euphoric blastoff of psychedelics. The sound is really far from psychedelic, imo. Not warped, weird, buzzing with intense energy or spirituality. Kind of mopey, actually. Sounds like after hours music for unwinding with a scotch and trying to put the moves on a classy babe in a nice lounge somewhere. Or lying in your bed crying in the dark in your college dorm.
Disagree, it's definitely not chill out (though it is chilled) and it's not downtempo coz it's not 100% electronic and it definitely has the slowest of slow hip hop beats (and other elements like dubbing, scratching etc...)

Of course its mopey! The're from Bristol! You'd be mopey too if you were from Bristol! Tricky is mopey too, as are Massive Attack but all three belong firmly within the limits of the Trip Hop genre.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

gregkavarnos wrote:Disagree, it's definitely not chill out (though it is chilled) and it's not downtempo coz it's not 100% electronic and it definitely has the slowest of slow hip hop beats (and other elements like dubbing, scratching etc...)

Of course its mopey! The're from Bristol! You'd be mopey too if you were from Bristol! Tricky is mopey too, as are Massive Attack but all three belong firmly within the limits of the Trip Hop genre.
First sentence of Wikipedia: "Trip hop is a music genre consisting of downtempo electronic music." DJ Shadow is about the trippiest thing labeled as Trip Hop, imo. Or maybe Boards of Canada... not sure what they are at all.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

all that as definitely nothing to do with former new-age hippies ... :toilet:
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sönam wrote:all that as definitely nothing to do with former new-age hippies ... :toilet:
:thumbsup: The dude can not abide an anti-hippy trying to out-psychedelicize us all with a li'l Portishead.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Pedant! Trip Hop then...

PS The other stuf you posted, except Helios Creed, I would personally out in the genre of electro not psychedelic. Anyway the Helio Creed song is just a (bad) remix of a true 60's psychedelic track by the Velvet Underground (with Nico).
Haha, I just caught your edited response.

Did you ever trip once in your life? On, like, real acid?

Velvet Underground was not psychedelic music. Heroin is not LSD, maaan. Helios was part of Chrome, one of the pioneers of modern acid punk.
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Sönam wrote:all that as definitely nothing to do with former new-age hippies ... :toilet:
This actually has nothing to do with anything, though as always, I could be wrong. :shrug:
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

well, OK then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTrU-Ad5W7M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the actual title is "try to be brown"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkVwXBs7_ic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

since this thread seems to be about posting things that make us smile
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

as soon as I saw "brown" I thought of Ween and was eager to post some... but, you just did. :twothumbsup:
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I also dig 70s rock throwback stuff...

In particular, I dig this song because it was a bit ahead of its time (just as far as paranoid subject matter*) and one of the last tunes these guys put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVhF-QSWSs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a big powerpop geek :shrug:

*although Gamma Ray and Megadeth were singing anti-Illuminati songs, too... I don't think Hellacopters were influenced in any way by them and I don't think the general public was willing to entertain it, really, until 2011. Funny how it works... "nuts" talk about it long enough until it's popular knowledge and fun to think about... like Roswell.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I think probably this was the punk song that really drove me to Buddhism, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD3NzqKzfK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

No wait... maybe that punk song didn't drive me to Buddhism afterall. Perhaps it was something more like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy9k_RWlvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... or this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsbAuX9P4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ah, who can tell anymore.

;) punk sucks
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

I've never taken illegal drugs. I've never even smoked a cigarette. I personally can't stand the damn things. The first time I got drunk on alcohol I was 28, and at a Gypsy Restaurant in Vienna. I didn't care for it and only drank it again less than a dozen times. I grew up in the 80's and read a lot about hippies in Rolling Stone. To read Rolling Stone you would think being a hippie was the best thing on earth. I tried to see what the appeal was and listen to Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul, and Mary. That was all I needed to know about being a hippie. Hippie music is awful I thought. You'd have to be on drugs to like it. I mean Rolling Stone says Bob Dylan is the best artist of all time. Really? The man sounds like a dying cow in a rainstorm. I'll take the new wave/synth pop I grew up listing to in the 80's any day, over some man who can't even carry a tune. I have however been into new age. Damn you Shirley MacLaine, and your Out On a Limb book! After seeing the mini series and reading that book I became a crystal carrying, Edgar Cayce loving, Atlantis believing, UFO watching fanatic. I however am not ashamed of my new age background. If it wasn't for that I probably would have never tried to study Dharma. So maybe I should thank Shirley MacLaine instead. :smile:
edearl

Post by edearl »

davcuts wrote:I grew up in the 80's and read a lot about hippies in Rolling Stone. To read Rolling Stone you would think being a hippie was the best thing on earth. I tried to see what the appeal was and listen to Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul, and Mary. That was all I needed to know about being a hippie. Hippie music is awful I thought.
People tend to like the music they grow up with. This hippie likes many genres, including works of Jimmy Dorsey--Hank Williams--Elvis--Bob Dylan--Peter, Paul, and Mary--The Beetles--B. B. King--Bobby McFerrin--and Michael Jackson, but favors Mozart, and Tchaikovsky.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

At least this Maraism stuff gets condensed here in the lounge.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

While dumb white boys and girls were getting wasted and waiting for change to occur via personal psychedelic experience there were people like this doing work for change
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpo11TxSdVg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLzIsJqxC5I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and let's not forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhg6LxyTnY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:namaste:
PS This punk song drove me to thinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyvMdqvH ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Lounge”