So this forum is comprised mostly of former New-Age hippies?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
padma norbu

Re: So this forum is comprised mostly of former New-Age hippies?

Post by padma norbu »

Jikan wrote:
kirtu wrote:
padma norbu wrote: Stop trying to equate the term "hippy" with negativity. Save that for punk rockers, who stole the hippy DIY ethos and fused it with a negative, anti-society, self-destructive vibe. Neither of them showered much, but at least the hippies tried to cover it up with patchouli.
Actually there was quite a bit of variation in punk rock. Punks overall came from a kind of anti-society viewpoint but that was because society was in fact destructive. The iniital impluse was to uncover and eliminate hypocrisy and usually hidden manipulation (all the things some mega-corporations, Enron being a good template, and most banks really have been doing coupled with governmental control and insanity at the time [Reagan, Thatcher, Brezhnev/Chernyenko]). All on top of teen and post-teen sexual awakening. Punk wasn'tt ipso facto self-destructive.

Kirt
from the album "Zen Arcade" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qCSAWnl8EI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody needs to school me in punk rock. I was in several punk bands and I grew up on it. It was the reason I was dissatisfied with my little hick town.

Husker Du is from Massena, NY. I grew up in the next town literally 15 minutes away, separated by cow pastures. I am quite aware of all the nuances of punk. And that means that I am quite aware that while Bob Mould might be a gayboy from a hicktown and a really nice guy, he also shared the punk sensibilities which were negative. If you don't think punk is overtly negative, let's just go ahead and collect all the lyrics from any album you care to mention.

I was listening to Circle Jerks and Black Flag in 6th grade, Butthole Surfers by 7th grade, dropped acid for the first time in 9th grade and opened my mind to hippy music. If anyone knows of any subgenre of music I have not become intimately familiar with, I will be very surprised. I became an obsessive music fan from about 1986 - 2000 when I finally pretty much began to become less interested in it. Still, in the past 10 years, I have purchased and downloaded hundreds of albums, generally obscure stuff. These days, everyone wants to be classified as "punk," even if they are not remotely punk. Just go look at E-Music. Half the stuff on Alternative Tentacles is closer to indie "alternative" rock of the late 80s like Mercury Rev than it is remotely punk.

The only criticism of hippy culture I respect at all is Frank Zappa's. But, if he wasn't a guy with aspergers, he was quite antisocial, so despite him having some good points, I think he's still a bit wrong-headed. His crowd, the freaks, were probably the first "punks."
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

:alien:
Last edited by padma norbu on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

padma norbu wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Since when were Buddhists ever against free love? Certainly, they were never against peace and love. As for swapping sex partners, that's a cultural thing
I think you need to check out the basic 5 precepts again... :shock: :shock:
I don't think so. You've misinterpreted what "sexual misconduct" means. It is different for every culture.
Karma is a universal force. Greed is greed, "cultural excuses" is just another delusion. You make it sound like 2500 years ago people in India doesn't crave alot of sex with different women.

But hey, I left all that punk rock, metal, hardcore, indie, hiphop crap behind me now. Musicians did not offer me peace and spiritual growth. Buddha's teachings did. Pop culture is just another sort of cocaine one should be more mindful about.
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

Old mod / traditional skinhead here, from the other half of the 60's people don't hear about much, but then working class white kids in the 60's into black culture ( the music is ALL black music ), and that associated with blacks, probably scared the hell out of the establishment a lot more than pacifistic middle class college kids ever did so........there's a subculture the establishment would best liked swept under the rug, even though it's history goes back to the late 50's/ early 60's and continues to influence society on a sartorial level to this day ( mod ), and influenced absolutely everything in the 60's be it film, style, music, dance.
What's wrong with hippies anyways ? I can't stand new age I'll give ya that, but I'd rather hang out with mellow hippies than punkers anyday, and I grew up and around the L.A. punk scene in the 80's. Funny thing about Americans perception of punk is that any and every english subculture was all grouped together under punk in the minds of most, in reality mods and trad. skins were worlds apart from punk, we had our own music, our own sartorial style, our own dance styles, it was a totally self contained subculture that had existed 15 years prior to punk ever rearing its ugly head, true some dabbled in it when it came out, then you had oi skins etc., and the so called mod revival period in the 80's with bands like the jam etc. but us snobby purists would never really buy into all that and would much rather listen to jazz etc., I do like the jam actually but the rest of the bands were crap i.m.o., alright maybe the prisoners / graham day were okay. As far as punk goes you have the politicos like crass/ flux of pink indians / rudimentary peni etc. ( wich were really just hippies using the punk vehicle ) and then you had what the rest of punk turned into, 1 minute super fast songs usually about beer etc. and the scummy criminal element that went along with it, then the height of absurdity around 88 when the boneheads came into the scene, so called racist or nazi skinheads, wich is a total contradiction in terms and was nothing but a redneck hijacking of the name skinhead, when in fact those people never had any connection whatsoever to the skinhead subculture, and never will, at that point I was totally disgusted by " punk " or especially punks inability to address and properly deal with these issues or infiltrations of its scene. In any case nobody heard much about real skinheads because for one thing it wasn't a counterculture and there never was any trouble with ska and northern soul shows at all, it was simply about fun, we also had the scooterist culture to occupy our time having fun on scooter runs and for the aggro ones they always had their football to take out their aggression on, it was all about as tame as the moose lodge really, and continues to this day 50 years on.
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

gregkavarnos wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56u6g0POvo0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But these guys, now we're talking!
Nice if you like pop...now listen to some real music. :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lEC5dz ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02_Frprx ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

I.M.O. the 60's was the most important movement to ever happen in the 20th century, more important than the russian revolution, and it's repercussions continue to influence society to this day ( not enough i.m.o. ). It was a time of smashing boxes, exploration, questioning, exploration can be dangerous but it's better than stagnation and cowardice. It makes perfect sense to me that out of all this many people turned to exploring eastern traditions and also to a return to the land and nature. Vajrayana Buddhism is tailor made to old acid heads, It felt like home to me from the get go, and yes I'm an old acid head, pyschedelics were my favorite drug for many years, so much so that I wound up in a mental hospital after a full nervous breakdown at age 14, ( lsd was a contributing factor to that ) but I wouldn't want to change the past, even that, exploration has its dangers. Vajrayana also has its dangers. In the end what I learned in my acid days and from reading philosophy or occult books sitting in trees ( the public school system was a joke to me and I found the real school was the public library and nature ) as far as pyschedelics go the only potential benefit from them is that one may see how perception and the mind is not fixed, not a solid comfortable box everything fits in all nice and cozy and safe, reality is not a closed box where everything is known and safe and figured out.............quite the opposite, reality and perception are open and malleable, other than that I don't attach any importance to them, even with that I don't, it's just a hallucination within a hallucination, there's not anything deep in that.............but I must admit it was an interesting way round the maze at the time, not for the faint of heart.
of suffering.
Knots tied on space

Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

Tilopa wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56u6g0POvo0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But these guys, now we're talking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lEC5dz ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02_Frprx ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right on, traffic was a great group, and before that of course Steve Winwoods stint in the Spencer Davis Group, wich was a group much appreciated by mods ( hammond organ being a major major like for mods ), Hammond organ's my favorite instrument and what I've been plodding along on the past few years after putting the bass guitar away. :smile:
Please excuse us old acid head musicians for our trespasses for we are not right in the head...............artistic license uh ya that's it. I'm a skinhead hippy,................... I'm a skippy, what the hell you can't love ska and reggae without being somewhat of a hippy at heart. :alien: So don't talk poop about hippies when they are wearing their Doc Martens, or Clarks desert boots, wichever the case may be. ( to the originator of this thread ).
of suffering.
Knots tied on space

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Food_Eatah wrote:
padma norbu wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote: I think you need to check out the basic 5 precepts again... :shock: :shock:
I don't think so. You've misinterpreted what "sexual misconduct" means. It is different for every culture.
Karma is a universal force. Greed is greed, "cultural excuses" is just another delusion. You make it sound like 2500 years ago people in India doesn't crave alot of sex with different women.

But hey, I left all that punk rock, metal, hardcore, indie, hiphop crap behind me now. Musicians did not offer me peace and spiritual growth. Buddha's teachings did. Pop culture is just another sort of cocaine one should be more mindful about.
moderation and no harsh words is also recommended ... dharma rules can also be "just another sort of cocaine one should be more mindful about"

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Pop this one for real music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9numtxB ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anybody for some Rastafarian Punk?
:twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

gregkavarnos wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9numtxB ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haha I knew it was gonna be Bad Brains, right on with your right on, Bad Brains rocked ! Super fast, super tight, AND they could actually really play, and with spiritual lyrics, hell of a good band, spawned in punk but did something original with it, took it beyond, that to me is what punk is about, like a chaotic nucleus from wich anything can grow without boundaries, I regard the Clash in the same vein aka Sandinista era albeit more pop, punk is best when it outgrows itself i.m.o.
I still have the Bad Brains cassette I had in the 80's, the first one, all the lettering on it is worn away, great band, hella energy and POSITIVE energy. :twothumbsup:
of suffering.
Knots tied on space

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I'm not a new age, hippy, skin, or a punk. Just a renegade of funk. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQUlbKdc74

Kevin
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The real thing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5_6js19eM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or maybe something a little more Tricky?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RVObkXuZ-U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And for those that thought that psychedelic just means burnt out hippies and electronic music is just for kids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCIKe0iAqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

I'm a funkhead too, can't be an organ player and not like funk, p-funk, 60's-early 70's JB funk and all the offshoots of that family - Maceo Parker's stuff, Fred Wesley, all the right on James Brown productions - some good female vox's in that bunch such as Vicki Anderson, Lynn Collins, afro funk, jazz funk, but my favorite funk is 60's-early 70's deep funk and funk / jazz funk 60's-70's library music, production library music, the most obscure of the obscure genres perhaps, crate digger stuff and typically where the some of the very best 60's-early 70's mod jazz also is.
of suffering.
Knots tied on space

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

That is cool, Tarpa. I am actually very eclectic in my tastes, and always have been. A Tuarus (sensual) with Venus in the sign of the Twins. What can I say?

I like a lot of stuff.

Kevin
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Sönam wrote:moderation and no harsh words is also recommended ... dharma rules can also be "just another sort of cocaine one should be more mindful about"

Sönam
You don't drop the raft before crossing the river. Your sinking into the water when it's too heavy laden with cds and amplifiers.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Food_Eatah wrote: Karma is a universal force. Greed is greed, "cultural excuses" is just another delusion. You make it sound like 2500 years ago people in India doesn't crave alot of sex with different women.

What is "sexual misconduct" (kamesu micchacara)? Here are two definitions in the Buddha's own words.

"One conducts oneself wrongly in matters of sex; one has intercourse with those under the protection of father, mother, brother, sister, relatives or clan, or of their religious community; or with those promised to someone else, protected by law, and even with those betrothed with a garland" (Book of Tens, Anguttara Nikaya, X, 206).

"Abandoning sexual misconduct, one abstains from sexual misconduct; he does not have intercourse with women who are protected by their mother, father, mother and father, brother, sister, or relatives, who have a husband, who are protected by law, or with those already engaged" (See Bhikkhu Bodhi translation, In the Buddha's Words, p. 159, based on MN41; Saleyyaka Sutra; I 286-90).

Sexual misconduct or "wrong sensual indulgence" is karmically harmful behavior. On account of karma it will result in suffering and unsatisfactoriness now and/or in the future.

Kama [not to be confused with karma] denotes pleasure associated with the senses, particularly sexual pleasure -- as in the legendary Sanskrit classic, the Kama Sutra. Sensual misconduct is wrongdoing for the sake of satisfying sensual desire. This harm may be to oneself or others. For example, there can be harm by overindulgence, such as gluttony/obesity or alcoholic intoxication. This is because craving arises, and one habitually tries to satisfy it in an ultimately unsatisfactory manner.

Buddha did not teach that householders should abstain from sex, nor did he proclaim that they should engage in sex only in the context of marriage.

I guess I should link this just so I don't pretend I wrote it myself. http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com/200 ... fined.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

:good:
He's right yah know!

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Tarpa wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Haha I knew it was gonna be Bad Brains, right on with your right on, Bad Brains rocked ! Super fast, super tight, AND they could actually really play, and with spiritual lyrics, hell of a good band, spawned in punk but did something original with it, took it beyond, that to me is what punk is about, like a chaotic nucleus from wich anything can grow without boundaries, I regard the Clash in the same vein aka Sandinista era albeit more pop, punk is best when it outgrows itself i.m.o.
I still have the Bad Brains cassette I had in the 80's, the first one, all the lettering on it is worn away, great band, hella energy and POSITIVE energy. :twothumbsup:

I wish there was some Buddhist reggae. There isn't any. I've looked. Just Jewish. Bad Brains was great, almost mentioned them since I saw someone here was from DC
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Not Buddhist, but positive and strong!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOESyEljmFE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some Buddhist death metal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkpwBBIzJE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bye-bye hippies! :tongue:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tarpa wrote:Old mod / traditional skinhead here,
I was the first old mod /traditional skinhead in Boston circa 1980.

N

Return to “Lounge”