Tealights!

Anything goes (almost).

Tealights!

Postby Chaz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Like many Buddhists, I go through lots of tealights. I use at least couple hundred per year.

I've used lots of tealights from a number of sources, but have finally decided on a favorite - "Glimma" tealights from IKEA are the BEST! You get a decent burn time and they burn evenly and completely so you get a lot of burn for the buck. They're also way dirt cheap (< $4 / 100) compared to other sources.

So if you're one of those Buddhist loonies who buy their tealights by the 100s IKEA is your place. If you have an IKEA near you you're in luck, otherwise you can order online.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of or a paid spokeperson for IKEA. I'm merely an extremely satisfied consumer who want's to pass a tip along
Chaz

Re: Tealights!

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 pm

They also do scented versions of those candles.

Ikea also sell good, cheap frames for postcard-sized pictures, such as those of teachers or deities. And I know all Buddhists have loads of those.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul
Global Moderator

Postby sangyey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 am

I just switched to flameless tea lights and am highly satisfied with the experience so far.....hehe. When I first started my practice I was given beautiful Lenox tea light holders and since they have such sentimental value did't want to swith to other means of sensory offerings. I used regular tea lights for a few years but you really do go through a lot of them so I recently switched. I think the box of 20 flameless tea lights will last me 2 years.
sangyey

Postby Chaz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 am

sangyey wrote:I just switched to flameless tea lights and am highly satisfied with the experience so far.....hehe. When I first started my practice I was given beautiful Lenox tea light holders and since they have such sentimental value did't want to swith to other means of sensory offerings. I used regular tea lights for a few years but you really do go through a lot of them so I recently switched. I think the box of 20 flameless tea lights will last me 2 years.

Do you mean those battery-powered flickering lights that are shaped like a tealight?

They sell them at the dollar store near my house and they're kinda cool. I still prefer the "real thing" though - old habits die hard ;-).
Chaz

Postby sangyey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:32 am

Yeah, it's the led battery or something......there disposable but last for a long time. I'm still on my first two which I have been using for a few weeks. I happy about making the switch though because they are easy to light (just press the button on the bottom) , last for a long time, and don't make my room smell like smoke :smile:
sangyey

Postby Silent Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I did a retreat several years ago at a center where open flames weren't permitted, so we used battery-powered tealights instead and I've never gone back to candles since then. That center director's concerns were well-founded, too, because I can think of several retreat cabins at various locations in the US and Canada that have burned down because of someone's carelessness with candles or incense. I'm just sayin'...

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Return to Lounge