Top Ten Misconceptions About Buddhism

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
conebeckham

Re: Top Ten Misconceptions About Buddhism

Post by conebeckham »

wow, that's a triple whammy we've got going on, eh fellas? :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

A family member asked me about this one she saw on facebook, so I'll answer it here:

51. Meditation techniques all advocate repressing and denial of expressing so-called baser emotions and this leads to poor mental health and worse.

It is not a denial, it is just not encouraged. Mindfulness meditation and other Buddhist meditations involve staying in the present and observing whatever comes up; be it good or bad. It is a misconception to say that Buddhist meditations seek to "repress" such feelings. It is more of just staying in the present and seeing what comes up, not repressing anything. There have been some Buddhist teachers who have said that you have never really had a good meditation until you have one that ends in crying. So it can come up in Buddhist meditation, it is just not encouraged.

In Emotional Intelligence, Dr. Daniel Goleman wrote that those who "get it off their chest" can enter a “flooding” state, where there is an overwhelming amount of anger with adrenaline, where no rational decisions can be made in this state and it needs a long recovery time before settling down.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

tatpurusa wrote:37. A very common misconception is that Buddhist believe in karma in a way that would mean that one will be rewarded for his good deeds and punished for his bad deeds in the next life.
So then what is the correct way to understand karma?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Lounge”