Honour Killings - it's hopless, isn't it?

Anything goes (almost).

Honour Killings - it's hopless, isn't it?

Postby KwanSeum » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 pm

On the BBC I've been reading that families kill their daughters if they've been raped (eg, raped by Libyan soldiers proving a point to the rebels) - cf http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13760895.

So we've got war mongers raping women who are then killed by their nearest and dearest for their honour.

Let us be honest and admit that the mission of compassion is just hopeless. It's never going to catch on.

KwanSeum
KwanSeum

Re: Honour Killings - it's hopless, isn't it?

Postby Jikan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Compassion isn't going to be a mass movement anytime soon.

It is true that horrible things are happening in the world, and have been for a long, long time. It's also true that we can reflect on these horrible things, not repeat such actions ourselves, do our best to put an end to them in the world, and use this gestalt to deepen compassion in ourselves. That is within reach, and very much worth digging into.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Madeliaette » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Let us be honest and admit that the mission of compassion is just hopeless. It's never going to catch on.

I think the media shows us only the best and worst of life and only in current situations.
I think compassion is alive and growing among the general population in some countries.
Whatever the case, we can always focus on our own compassionate growth - perhaps if you take a look at your own situation and see if you have grown more or less compassionate over the years it would help. Even if only one or two steps are taken by one or two people, it is far better than nobody progressing at all. :consoling:
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Postby Quiet Heart » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:24 am

:twothumbsup:
No it's not hopeless.
It is however, difficult. It's more a cultural thing which usually the men are the supporters of. The women in those countries, for obvious reasons, are usually NOT supporters of the practice.
In many Arab countries, and they won't like this comment, there is also an organized social and economically privaledged group that supports the practice.
That group doesn't like the idea of losing their privaledged status.
But things are changing, attitudes are being changed, and the practice is being regarded as an old and outdated belief.
The younger generation is mostly opposed to it, but the older and the economically and socially well off are it's supporters...for the economic and social reasons I mentioned above.
It is coming, but I'm afraid it will take time yet before a big change is seen.
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Quiet Heart

Postby muni » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 am

As a "me" standing in the middle of all what is not me, a network of many deep deluded right-wrong-ideas by rules and laws arises out of this particullary me. Completely lost in crazy fabricated night mare.

Samsara silkworm!

Generosity of protection by reacting or we cling to emptiness. (Concept!)

Genuine compassion is impartial, has no owner, no intention.
muni

Postby ronnewmexico » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm

To mention(not that this is being done)...but to present a balance of sorts.

Issues such as these present in various forms and in multiple presentation.
Presented is a link form Wikepedia upon a woman from Ruwanda who was essentially convicted just a couple of days ago of causeing the rape and death of thousands ofhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Nyiramasuhuko woman by her direct actions to incite such.

Such things present excepting normally considered perameters. This was a woman(normally it is a man who incites such things), this was not related to Islam or any other religion, and the conviction was allowed by the international judiciary body which attests to its verifiability.

So it is not just honor killings, causeing such things.
HUmanity....I'd say historically, yes this is the story of humanity. All want happiness but don't have a clue as to how to get it.
The result is like as not....death and destruction.
I consider it the norm not the exception as result of self conception is this result.

Hopeless I would say definitively not. This is but one realm but in one place within this realm(earth), and but at this particular moment when in this realm in this particular place within this realm....much much greater I approximate is the content and form of other. That which is not misunderstood.
Faulted things with time cannot stand. They fall by the weight of their own defect. All will attain understanding and compassionate result I contend. The only question is when, not will one.

Particular to Libya amnesty international is now studying the issue in Libya as it appears more and more that many of the various atrocities stated were propogandistic in nature and incited to assure international response to the issue of Ghaddfi. The book is still out on that, suffice it to say it is being studied as it appears now such occured.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Return to Lounge