Mosquitos

Anything goes (almost).

Mosquitos

Postby Pero » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:14 pm

Anyone know of any good ways to repel/prevent them from entering one's room? Other than a net? Here I'm in a kind of swampy area and there's no end to them. Just in the past 30 or so minutes I killed 6. I tried to be careful not to have lights on when the window is open but they still get in somehow. The worst part is not so much if I get bitten but that I can't get much sleep when they're around. Little bastards are just killing me.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Re: Mosquitos

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Pero wrote:Anyone know of any good ways to repel/prevent them from entering one's room? Other than a net? Here I'm in a kind of swampy area and there's no end to them. Just in the past 30 or so minutes I killed 6. I tried to be careful not to have lights on when the window is open but they still get in somehow. The worst part is not so much if I get bitten but that I can't get much sleep when they're around. Little bastards are just killing me.

The more you kill, they more they bite you.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Pero » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:08 am

Namdrol wrote:
Pero wrote:Anyone know of any good ways to repel/prevent them from entering one's room? Other than a net? Here I'm in a kind of swampy area and there's no end to them. Just in the past 30 or so minutes I killed 6. I tried to be careful not to have lights on when the window is open but they still get in somehow. The worst part is not so much if I get bitten but that I can't get much sleep when they're around. Little bastards are just killing me.

The more you kill, they more they bite you.

I heard that before but I don't know, the ones that bugged me on Friday seemed to be kind of smart. After I set a trap and killed the first one, the other two stayed far away. It took an hour of me being without killing intent before one of them came near me again. And after I killed that one, the third one just disappeared lol...
But anyway like I said it's not the biting that's the problem so much (although years back it was), but them keeping me up at night with their buzzing. I'm afraid I'm nowhere near good enough yet for it to not disturb me, probably the most annoying thing I can think of.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 am

Pero...why don't you just get a net ? Other than that... have you Googled for natural repellants ? I'd try burning lots of incense (smoke them out).

Do you have a fan ? If so...keep it blowing on you...

Good Luck !!!

:namaste:
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Pero » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Pero...why don't you just get a net ?

Very poor air circulation because of it, during the summer that sucks.

Other than that... have you Googled for natural repellants ? I'd try burning lots of incense (smoke them out).

I googled stuff, but mostly what I remembered was what didn't work lol. Like that ultrasound device scam. Damn it, and I got so happy when I found it at first hehe. I'll do it again but I thought someone here might have some idea.

Maybe at home, will have to check. I wonder if this would work on them. But on the other hand I wonder what kind of an effect it would have on me too...

Good Luck !!!
Thanks. :smile:
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby junior79 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 am

Install a mosquito detector and an automatic machine gun the entry prevention even you.... Fan is the best solution.... Mosquito can not stand fast flowing air...
junior79

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:06 am

Chinese groceries often sell a flat, spiral of some kind of incense called a mosquito coil. You hang it from the center of the coil and it dangles like a big spring, and you light the end at the bottom. the smoke is supposed to keep them away but I don't know if they work.

I think washing the sweat off your skin with a fragrant soap might be your best protection, or use DEET.
WebMD says:
Scientists do know that genetics account for a whopping 85% of our susceptibility to mosquito bites. They've also identified certain elements of our body chemistry that, when found in excess on the skin's surface, make mosquitoes swarm closer.

"People with high concentrations of steroids or cholesterol on their skin surface attract mosquitoes," Butler tells WebMD. That doesn't necessarily mean that mosquitoes prey on people with higher overall levels of cholesterol, Butler explains. These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface.

Mosquitoes also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid, explains entomologist John Edman, PhD, spokesman for the Entomological Society of America. These substances can trigger mosquitoes' sense of smell, luring them to land on unsuspecting victims.

But the process of attraction begins long before the landing. Mosquitoes can smell their dinner from an impressive distance of up to 50 meters, explains Edman. This doesn't bode well for people who emit large quantities of carbon dioxide.

"Any type of carbon dioxide is attractive, even over a long distance," Conlon says. Larger people tend to give off more carbon dioxide, which is why mosquitoes typically prefer munching on adults to small children. Pregnant women are also at increased risk, as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled carbon dioxide. Movement and heat also attract mosquitoes.

source: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Madeliaette » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Try speaking to them from your heart - explain that you require sleep - perhaps suggest they take nourishment from you for ten minutes and then leave you in peace.

I know it may sound nuts, but I had a terrible problem with cockcroaches back in Australia - at first, i was screaming and spraying - then I got to the stage of whacking them, with a shoe, then to the stage of trying to shoo them out, then finally - after many years - I simply spoke from my heart to them and asked them politely to 'be quiet' as they were keeping me awake by scuttling about. I asked if they would please not come into my room, but go to other places in the house.

The result was that for several months only one ventured into my room - a pregnant female desperate to lay her young in a 'safe place'.

It might work for mozzies too.... :shrug:
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:41 pm

There's mosquito coils in India that they burn and
keeps em away pretty well... Neem oil on the skin helps, also
eating neem leaf.. Eating lots of garlic..

But in my experience after letting Mosquitos feed
on me with compassion, generosity type bodhisattva aspiration,
I never got itchy bumps. Try that!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

I've had some success in reducing mosquito attraction by staying hydrated, not eating sugar, and consuming lemon juice. I don't know if there's any science behind this.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Adamantine » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 am

anything working pero? keep us updated!
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Sönam » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:52 am

Pero wrote:

I've been living in (north) Africa for years, and the net is the "only" good protection and karmically ok ... so maybe you reconsidere this air problem circulation, maybe it's only in your head :rolling:

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby Adamantine » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am

Pero wrote:

Other than that... have you Googled for natural repellants ? I'd try burning lots of incense (smoke them out).

I googled stuff, but mostly what I remembered was what didn't work lol. Like that ultrasound device scam. Damn it, and I got so happy when I found it at first hehe. I'll do it again but I thought someone here might have some idea.

Maybe at home, will have to check. I wonder if this would work on them. But on the other hand I wonder what kind of an effect it would have on me too...
Thanks. :smile:[/quote]

Dude. Pero, you think a net cuts out air circulation? How is that?
But then you're worried about a fan having an effect on you?
First off, nets have tons of holes, air gets through nonproblem.
Second, the only effect on you a fan would have is an increase
in your air circulation! Jeez. Why not just get the net, and the fan,
then your paranoia about each will be nullified because they'll
cancel eachother out.

Also, as a Buddhist shouldn't you be more concerned about the
effect killing beings will have on you, rather then dubious concerns
around nets and fans? C'mon, get with the program-- and don't dare
kill any on Saga Dawa Duchen! :x
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Adamantine wrote:First off, nets have tons of holes

I like that.
Holes don't weigh very much. it must take a lot.
:rolling:
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Dechen Norbu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Why not just get the net, and the fan,
then your paranoia about each will be nullified because they'll
cancel eachother out.

Hilarious! :lol:
Dechen Norbu

Postby Indrajala » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:11 pm

In India they burn dried flat discs of cow dung in large iron cauldrons indoors. It does not smell and keeps all mosquitos out of the building. If done outside it will likewise keep them away. Perhaps you might consider doing this.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 am

Huseng wrote:In India they burn dried flat discs of cow dung in large iron cauldrons indoors. It does not smell and keeps all mosquitos out of the building. If done outside it will likewise keep them away. Perhaps you might consider doing this.

and if there's no cows around he could always try Pero dung :tongue:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby LastLegend » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 pm

If you can get leaves from the pepper (chilli) plant and burn them in candles.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Pero » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Who knew there was a bunch of comedians here... :smile:

Adamantine wrote:But in my experience after letting Mosquitos feed
on me with compassion, generosity type bodhisattva aspiration,
I never got itchy bumps. Try that!

Yes, already know about that, why do you think that works?

Jikan wrote:I've had some success in reducing mosquito attraction by staying hydrated, not eating sugar, and consuming lemon juice. I don't know if there's any science behind this.

Heh, that's like the opposite of me, I don't drink nearly enough, eat tons of sugar and very rarely drink lemon juice. I read somewhere they were attracted to sweet things so maybe there's something to it. Oh and I don't eat garlic either.

Adamantine wrote:anything working pero? keep us updated!

I had an exam, so no time to experiment, I just closed the window pretty early so there weren't any.

Adamantine wrote:Dude. Pero, you think a net cuts out air circulation? How is that?
But then you're worried about a fan having an effect on you?
First off, nets have tons of holes, air gets through nonproblem.
Second, the only effect on you a fan would have is an increase
in your air circulation!

I don't think, I know. The air is definitely not as good with the net as it is without it. Tons of holes doesn't matter, their size (and composition of the net I imagine) does. I don't know, having wind blow over you for 7 or more hours every night doesn't sound to healthy to me.

Also, as a Buddhist shouldn't you be more concerned about the
effect killing beings will have on you, rather then dubious concerns
around nets and fans? C'mon, get with the program-- and don't dare
kill any on Saga Dawa Duchen! :x

Yes precisely, don't you think it's better to kill a few mosquitoes than have them disturb my sleep every night which could possibly make me go postal eventually and so I'd kill people instead? :twisted:
Didn't kill any then. Although was tempted.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Try this, ---if you have one open window, get a rectangular fan that can fit directly into the open window. Face the forward force direction of the fan outwards... this will draw the air out of your place increasing air circulation and ventilation, but won't blow on you directly. And the best part is the mosquitoes will not be able to fly upwind against the current of the fan to get inside. Also, try covering yourself with some essential oils like rosemary (cut with a carrier like olive oil) that will repel them
Adamantine
Former staff member

Next

Return to Lounge