Cheap 1 acre?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
kirtu
Former staff member

Cheap 1 acre?

Post by kirtu »

Where can I find a cheap 1 acre of land where I can pitch a tent or a tipi for a year or two? Like Goldilocks, usually the acre I find is too hot (in the desert, and not in the high desert either), or on the Texas/Mexican border [literally right on it]). Too cold doesn't come up. Any really cheap non-swamp land in Canada or Montana or Maine or somewhere? That would be just right.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Re: Cheap 1 acre?

Post by ronnewmexico »

You post this on a buddhist site.....I guess I have to ask...right for what... a 2 week summer vacation home?

Cheap land is available many places but the intended use may or may not be suited to it.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ronnewmexico wrote:You post this on a buddhist site.....I guess I have to ask...right for what... a 2 week summer vacation home?

Cheap land is available many places but the intended use may or may not be suited to it.
To pitch a tent or a tipi or build a sod or adobe or other kind of house. To live forever and ever (or at least until death do me part ...).

Free is even better than cheap. Any such land out there?

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Sorry to be inquireing but...

where I live last February it hit 31 below zero and during the day the high was about 11 below. That means in the high country, (I'm at 7500 ft approx._ it was probably 45 or so below zero.

Many places in New Mexico are dirt cheap but the mechanics of building a house or such, are difficult. Living just in a tent is very difficult.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ronnewmexico wrote:Sorry to be inquireing but...

where I live last February it hit 31 below zero and during the day the high was about 11 below. That means in the high country, (I'm at 7500 ft approx._ it was probably 45 or so below zero.

Many places in New Mexico are dirt cheap but the mechanics of building a house or such, are difficult. Living just in a tent is very difficult.
The US is in an economic depression - living on the street is also very difficult - and dangerous. I can live in cold weather - even in arctic weather. I'm not just walking in in a t-shirt.

Do you know of any really cheap available land?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
justsit

Post by justsit »

Have you looked on ebay and craigslist? Both have some pretty cheap land listed.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ebay - craigslist - thanks -I'll check it out.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

No offense but...you can't just go buy a acre and live on it most commonly. Zoneing, various regulations in most developed areas, prohibit that.

Areas that do allow that are very rural and there is no enforcement. But suchly access to basic ammneties are very difficult food water hygine things of that nature.

Living in such a circumstance is not something one can just go and do. You must be experienced in that thing to do it sucessfully.
wash DC?.....suggests not. Do you have experience in these things.....?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ronnewmexico wrote:No offense but...you can't just go buy a acre and live on it most commonly. Zoneing, various regulations in most developed areas, prohibit that.
I am aware of that ....
Areas that do allow that are very rural and there is no enforcement. But suchly access to basic ammneties are very difficult food water hygine things of that nature.
I am aware of that too ....
Living in such a circumstance is not something one can just go and do. You must be experienced in that thing to do it sucessfully.
wash DC?.....suggests not. Do you have experience in these things.....?
Ron - you have no idea how I grew up, have lived, etc. I'm not Christopher McCandless. My father and great-uncles taught me how to live in difficult conditions as did the military.

If you know of really cheap land that I can build on at my own pace or put a tipi on, please tell me where it is. I'll take care of the rest.

It's because of living in DC, NYC, Nuernberg that I don't know how to find the land. Once found I can scout it and build on it on my own. It's the finding and not the living part that's difficult.

Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Yes.. i have no idea....which is why I asked you...do you have experience in this thing?

You know all about these things yet are doing a search for land on a buddhist internet forum?

OK....
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

I highly recommend the southern Oregon high desert. Cheapest land around. 280 days of sun per year. It's semi-arid so it does get rain and snow. The air up there is amazing crisp and cool. Not too much farming up there so you don't get too much dust and chemical spray. Nice yogi place.
CAW!
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

You can look into Puna on the Big Island of Hawaii. The temperature is nice; at sea level it never drops below 50F. It rains a lot, 130-200+ inches/year depending upon the location. You won't have to worry much about water; people there collect rainwater from their roofs. You need a large water storage tank. Food is expensive but you can grow much of your food if you don't mind farming.

The land is zoned agricultural but the county still has housing requirements. I think that a house is supposed to be at least 500 square feet. But there are many people who don't follow the rules and get away with it. The rules aren't usually enforced. Well, I suppose, if your neighbor hated you and wanted to get rid of you he/she might report you and you might get into trouble.

It's really beautiful there. It's a tropical rain forest. The population density is low, yet it's close enough to Hilo and other smaller towns that you can get supplies.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Kyosan wrote:You can look into Puna on the Big Island of Hawaii.
It's really beautiful there. It's a tropical rain forest. The population density is low, yet it's close enough to Hilo and other smaller towns that you can get supplies.
That's a really good idea. The few times I've looked into land in Hawaii it was generally expensive. But what, two and a half-three decades ago native Hawaiians started moving to western Molokai to raise their kids and no one stopped them - mostly because the land was totally inaccessible. I didn't think about those possibilities.

Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

adinatha wrote:I highly recommend the southern Oregon high desert. Cheapest land around. 280 days of sun per year. It's semi-arid so it does get rain and snow. The air up there is amazing crisp and cool. Not too much farming up there so you don't get too much dust and chemical spray. Nice yogi place.
Where would you suggest that I check out land offerings? LandsOfAmerica.com and LandWatch.com don't seem to have listings from that region (frankly I was not aware that the high desert extended into Oregon).

Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

adinatha wrote:I highly recommend the southern Oregon high desert. Cheapest land around. 280 days of sun per year. It's semi-arid so it does get rain and snow. The air up there is amazing crisp and cool. Not too much farming up there so you don't get too much dust and chemical spray. Nice yogi place.
Mixed bag. The good places are great. There are some pockets to avoid. Air quality in the Klamath Basin is mixed at best. Noise pollution can still be a problem, but it's not as bad in the years since they've made Kingsley Field a nat'l guard site rather than a full on air base. Bend is high-end.

Wallowa County is among the most beautiful places on earth. If there's a yogi place in Oregon, that is where I would look to find it. Or anywhere near Paulina Crater.
justsit

Post by justsit »

This site has land listings and a good overview of some caveats.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

kirtu wrote:
Where would you suggest that I check out land offerings? LandsOfAmerica.com and LandWatch.com don't seem to have listings from that region (frankly I was not aware that the high desert extended into Oregon).

Thanks!

Kirt
Oregon has its own high plateau. Just google property in the Oregon high desert. You will see there are websites that list property up there. You can seriously get one acre for a few thousand dollars.
CAW!
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Jikan wrote:
Mixed bag. The good places are great. There are some pockets to avoid. Air quality in the Klamath Basin is mixed at best. Noise pollution can still be a problem, but it's not as bad in the years since they've made Kingsley Field a nat'l guard site rather than a full on air base. Bend is high-end.

Wallowa County is among the most beautiful places on earth. If there's a yogi place in Oregon, that is where I would look to find it. Or anywhere near Paulina Crater.
Well keep in mind you will need a sunny place if you practice togal.
CAW!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

sure. It's a bit wetter in the arc from LaGrande through Enterprise and up the Palouse than it is in, say, Burns or Prineville or the 97 corridor, but it's not wet like Portland or the coast.

Kirt: you might also want to look around the very western-most portion of South Dakota, in the vicinity of Spearfish. Clean water, red dirt.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

http://freesleeping.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -land.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Lounge”