Self Government

Anything goes (almost).

Self Government

Postby Will » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Martin King's wise saying, which I have slightly modified, said "The ultimate solution to the problems of society lies in the willingness of men to obey the unenforceable."

The ancient Book of History said that virtuous people had an uplifting effect on government officals, and thus were part of government themselves.

So if any system of governance is corrupt, it is because there is not enough virtue in the people of the nation. One cannot put all the blame on the political system or its leaders; dependent origination says there are always many interlocking conditions. The leaders arise from the people, so are not going to be vastly different in character from the masses.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: Self Government

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Strangely enough, very strangely I agree mostly.

In fact said about the same thing just five minutes ago in the thread on vermont health care.

All social constraint is accptable to those constrained. Activists en mass, found years ago, the best method for those unreasonably imprisioned was actually to refuse to leave the jails in which they were jailed. It invariably worked, the jailers becoming the jailed not knowing what to do.
Employing violence at times to throw peoples out of jail.
Everything is a condition of acceptance and works on that principal.

If I as one person with a detachment from such ingrained tendency decided to take down or destroy the society as a whole, I have not a doubt in my mind being about reasonably intelligent one person, me, or other, could do such a thing. I am not so inclinded but it would not be all that difficult.What is difficult is changing mind to see how and where the vulnerabilites to society are. That is almost impossible. I of course have no such inclination and never would do such a thing. It amazes me however that so many exist with those tendencies never have a clue as to how to do such a thing.
I'd guess the tendency of mind to conform makes it impossible to see otherwise and act as if the chains are not there.
So yes society is always agreed to, not constrained upon one. If one pays attention to it.

I do agree about half of the responsibility for the state of things in a place like america is due to the tendency of the americans themselves.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Re: Self Government

Postby KeithBC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Will wrote:So if any system of governance is corrupt, it is because there is not enough virtue in the people of the nation.

This is a wise saying. :bow:

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Return to Lounge