The Temple of Paro Nyamey

Anything goes (almost).

The Temple of Paro Nyamey

Postby junior79 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 am

An old Buddhist Temple in the valley rest to the straight front view of Paro Taksang. The Temple holds the key of merit accumulation for the Paro Taksang pilgrimage visitors. The local inhabitants believe and narrates, “If the Temple is not visited during the visit to Paro Taksang, the merit accumulation by visit to Paro Taksang is not complete”.

Around 1610 Lama Kathog Rigzin Chenpo (a Lama from Kham Kathog of Tibet) arrived to Bhutan. Lama Kathog Rinzin Chenpo came across ruins of a small Buddhist school Temple built by the enlightened Gelong Ma Pelmo, located in the valley straight view from Paro Taksang. Lam Kathog Rinzin Chenpo felt for reconstructing the Temple. He along with his follower Tshongpon Gembo planed to reconstruct a new Temple with a big statue of Lord Buddha. Lam Kathog Rinzin Chenpo indentified a location on the ruin to build the statue of Lord Buddha. He then offered prayers to the Triple Gem on the location identified. The lama placed his red scarf on the ground after the prayer and stayed there for a while. He forgot to take his scarf on his return to residence. The next morning when he visited the site again he found his red scarf blown off few meters away. In belief of prophecy, he decided to build the statue where his red scarf was found in the morning. He along with Tshongpon Gembo constructed a new Temple with a storied tall statue of Lord Buddha in the center of altar. The statue of Lord Buddha stands on the location where he found his scarf next day. The location where he initially planned and prayed was protected and kept clean by constructing a small lifted flower garden.

The history above is recorded as narrated by elderly local peoples. Documented history is not found at the time of writing this article.
The Temple also has marvelous paintings on the inner walls. Yeshey Goenpo and Pelden Lhamo with a Tsimara are the guiding deities of the Temple. An annual festival of the Temple is held on tenth and eleventh of every second month of the Bhutanese calendar by religious ceremony displaying the Temple Deities with mask dance. The temple also houses various hand written religious texts, man sized statues of Guru Rinpoche, Tsipami, the first Zhabdrung, Je Sherub Gyeltshen & Chatong Chentong, thousand small Buddha statues and some Thankas. The Temple is owned by the descendants of the Tshongpon Gembo.

The Temple being a seat of Gelong Ma Pelmo people often come to perform “Nyung nyes” (I don’t know the English term). The Temple kitchen is in ruins and result inconvenience to the sponsor of “Nyung nyes”.
The Temple roof was replaced with CGI sheets in 1995-96. Minor repairs to the Temple have become necessity and being carried out. However the Temple needs major renovation. My visit to the annual festival of 2011 made me feel the great need of a Temple Kitchen and requirement for Temple renovation.
The descendant’s wealth detoriated with time. In early nineties the land and properties are divided amongst the living descendants and started living separately with their own families. The Temple’s responsibility was left to the one living in the house of Tshongpon Gembo. Presently the descendant living in the house is a woman in early forties with five children and an old husband. The eldest has joined monkhood last year and three are school going and the youngest is just four years old. The husband is an old man and his earning efficiency has become very less. The ability of Temple renovation by them is out of question now. None of known Tshongpon Gembo’s descendants are wealthy enough for renovation.
A local shop keeper turned out to repair the verandah of the Temple. In the difficulty odds a simple kitchen is being constructed by the Temple owner. The four century old Temple needs to be preserved and protected for the wellbeing of the sentient beings, local inhabitants and the descendants of Tshongpon Gembo. Proper complete adequate renovation will require funds from outside.

This is posted here to seek valuable advices from the readers about how to look for sponsors. Any one wishing to extend helping hand are requested to email me at junior79@druknet.bt or tshegyelup@yahoo.com or call me at 17864813. Looking forward for your valuable advices. you can get pictures at http://www.kuzuzangpo.com/?subaction=sh ... om=&ucat=&. Help me out please.
junior79

Re: The Temple of Paro Nyamey

Postby junior79 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 am

I expected some to advice me or suggest something....
junior79

Postby catmoon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 am

Sorry, but I haven't the faintest idea of how to run a temple, or ensure it prospers.

Are there regular services in this temple? Classes? Teachings?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby junior79 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:08 am

It is in Bhutan... There is no regular classes... or teachings going on in the temple... It is just a place for visiting and praying ..... for prilgrims.... so on...
junior79

Postby catmoon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 am

Well, maybe there's a monk who would be willing to teach regularly or run meditation sessions or something.

Come to think of it, why not ask a monk what to do?
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby junior79 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 am

Dear Catmoon,
I think you do not know how things are in Bhutan... There are many excelent Buddhist colleges .. run by riligious body/Government.... When there is plenty of Gold, I cannot ask some one to collect silver.... I just need an information/advice/suggestion to raise fund to renovate the privately owned old temple...
junior79

Postby catmoon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 am

junior79 wrote:Dear Catmoon,
I think you do not know how things are in Bhutan....

You're right, I have no idea. Here, the first thing you would have to do is get the building declared a historical monument or a heritage site, after which you could apply to the government for funding.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby junior79 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 am

That is surely to be done.... but the Govt. is likely to provide a nominal budget for the roofing and timber..... However it takes a substantial time.... I thought of going for a voluntary contribution with proper receipt and accounting but in Bhutan when you go with a receipt, people feel it like a compulsory contribution... So I have posted here hoping that there would be some wishing to make contributions towards it. The Govt. help will be surely sought and it will further aid the renovation...
I will be very grateful and appreciate if there are some helping me to look for help & sponsors and ofcourse sponsor it .....................
junior79

Postby kirtu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:20 pm

junior79 wrote:Dear Catmoon,
I think you do not know how things are in Bhutan... There are many excelent Buddhist colleges .. run by riligious body/Government.... When there is plenty of Gold, I cannot ask some one to collect silver.... I just need an information/advice/suggestion to raise fund to renovate the privately owned old temple...

Nyung Ney: there is no English term aside from fasting retreat or Avalokiteshvara fasting retreat.

Since the temple has hosted many nyung neys in the past and since this practice is spreading in the west you could ask a lama or an experienced lay retreat person to conduct nyung neys there for westerners, esp. now that Bhutan has opened slightly to western Buddhist pilgrims. To do a nyung ney in Bhutan is almost like doing a nyung ney in a beyul and you could get some support that way. Another thing to do could be to ask Dzongsar Khytense Rinpoche his opinion about the situation and see if the above might be a positive course of action.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:24 pm

junior79 wrote:I will be very grateful and appreciate if there are some helping me to look for help & sponsors and ofcourse sponsor it .....................

Overtime the fact that the temple is associated with Gelongma Palmo means that it will gradually gain support. It just has to be advertised and people will start donating small funds little by little esp. from Nyingma nyung mey practitioners in the west.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:26 pm

[quote="junior79"
This is posted here to seek valuable advices from the readers about how to look for sponsors. Any one wishing to extend helping hand are requested to email me at junior79@druknet.bt or tshegyelup@yahoo.com or call me at 17864813. Looking forward for your valuable advices. you can get pictures at http://www.kuzuzangpo.com/?subaction=sh ... om=&ucat=&. Help me out please.[/quote]

Do you have an estimate for the repairs and annual upkeep of the temple?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby junior79 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 am

Kirt
Aside from being a Buddhist I do not know in-depth meaning of Buddhism and I do not know the Buddhist societies.... Just now all I know is the need for the renovation... You can kindly help me as well in finding sponsors please..... About Khentse Rinpoche .. I am looking forward to get His Holiness's opinions and advices. Ah! estimate is not drawn up yet.... May be around 25,000 US $ may be required for the basic renovation........ I am directionless to look for help... So I have tried to shoot the arrow in the open air.. I am happy to get your opinions and catmoons too.... looking forward for more opinions and suggestions...
junior79

Postby kirtu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 pm

junior79 wrote:Kirt
Aside from being a Buddhist I do not know in-depth meaning of Buddhism and I do not know the Buddhist societies.... Just now all I know is the need for the renovation... You can kindly help me as well in finding sponsors please..... About Khentse Rinpoche .. I am looking forward to get His Holiness's opinions and advices. Ah! estimate is not drawn up yet.... May be around 25,000 US $ may be required for the basic renovation........ I am directionless to look for help... So I have tried to shoot the arrow in the open air.. I am happy to get your opinions and catmoons too.... looking forward for more opinions and suggestions...

Well right now the US in particular but also much of the rest of the west is undergoing negative economic circumstances. Still it should be possible to raise $25,000 directly just through tourism and also through just simple asking for donations and establishing a foundation.

However since real money is being requested there has to be complete transparancy on how it passes along from donation to bank to Bhutan to it's actual use. So this would have to be ironed out before we can start really. To that end if you could get Dzonsar Khyentse Rinpoche's backing, or the backing of an eminet Bhutanese monk, this would go a long way.

Since the temple is associated with Nyung Ney and Gelongma Palmo then this shouldn't be a problem in the long run. If the story could be autenticated that Gelongma Palmo visited the site or did retreat there then that would be a boost (the actual historical accuracy of this claim is unlikely as in the legends Gelongma Paloma was a princess from Oddiyana but perhaps she traveled around the Indian subcontinent).

So at your end you will need to come up with a basic plan of what is needed to repair the site. We could begin by putting up a website dedicated to the restoration of the site and initially begin asking for funds online. Do people still do Nyung Ney at the temple? It looks very small to me although it also seems to be an architectural gem. Is it possible to take pictures of the interior?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby junior79 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Dear Kirk,
I really thank you for your interest here... It gives me more meaning and energy to continue this meritorious journey.... I don't know about raising the fund through tourism... tourism rule in bhutan as of i heard restricts the number of tourists.. i do not have much idea and also seem not a good approach as per bhutanese rule.. just my thought...
If there are contributors.. transparency is guaranteed... I do not want to open a bank account on my name either... Just now my intention of posting this write up here is because I was not able to get a clue where to start about. Now you are giving me hopes and aspirations... Now I have to think about the process of transparency. It is not in my intention to earn by the name of religious works... You may email me at my address... tshegyelup@yahoo.com or junior79@druknet.bt or tsheten@bpc.bt... At the same time I am a corporate employee in Bhutan working in a far off place from the actual place of the Temple... His Holiness Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche has a land which was initially brought from my parents... at near by area of the Temple which is now used for meditation purpose for the mediators I believe... If there are people willing to help me.. why should not I try getting the Rinpoche's backing..
Nyung neys are performed often in the temple. As of I heard from the elderly people from the village Gelongma Pelmo visited the site.. there is a cave nearby the Temple where Gelongma Pelmo retreated and visited by pilgrims.
I have some pictures of the interior... kindly email me... The basic plan I would like to draw with you... Thank you very much Kirt.. thank you.. I am interested to renovate because it is religious and something related to my ancestors... I have yet lots to learn about Buddhism...
junior79

Return to Lounge