homemade tofu

Anything goes (almost).

homemade tofu

Postby Jikan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:00 pm

anybody ever make tofu at home?

if so, is it worth the trouble for the very fresh stuff? difficult to get supplies and other logistics?
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: homemade tofu

Postby kirtu » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Jikan wrote:anybody ever make tofu at home?

if so, is it worth the trouble for the very fresh stuff? difficult to get supplies and other logistics?

I used to do this when I was 19 - 20 and then 23-24, living with friends during college break and after college and before going on active duty.

I think it is worth it but it is an effort. You used to have to soak soybeans overnight and not everyone is going to want to put up with the odor. However it's pretty magical watching your tofu coagulate out of soymilk. And even making the soymilk is pretty awesome. Actually for a while I just made the soymilk but didn't find any way to thicken it up like packaged soymilk is now.

It didn't used to be a problem to get supplies but back then home made tofu was a fad.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Tue May 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks, Kirt. From what I've seen, this is a procedure that requires a lot of kitchen space and a lot of water. I'm thinking it could be worth trying if I can convince myself our tired old plumbing is up to it.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby kirtu » Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Jikan wrote:Thanks, Kirt. From what I've seen, this is a procedure that requires a lot of kitchen space and a lot of water. I'm thinking it could be worth trying if I can convince myself our tired old plumbing is up to it.

It can require a lot of kitchen space and does require a lot of water. That's true. And your first batches will be soft tofu anyways until you learn how to firm it up. That might be easier to do nowadays.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Lounge