Gay Marriage: What Would Buddha Do?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
jacx

Re: Gay Marriage: What Would Buddha Do?

Post by jacx »

Huifeng wrote: If you have the English translation by Prude, of de la Vallee Poussin's French of the Abhidharma kosa bhasya, it is Vol II, pp. 651ff.
Thank you for looking that up! Despite my great affection for Vasubandhu, I only made it through Vol I of de la Vallee Poussin's Abhidharmakosabhasya. Maybe I'll finish it some day.

I never had the chance to meet Master Hsuan Hua, but have had a fair amount of contact with his organisation (DRBA) and disciples. When the monks/nuns of my acquaintance were asked about the acceptability of gay relationships, their response was almost exactly the same as:
Huifeng wrote:Probably he'd still say that any sort of marriage relationship is a bond to samsara and an obstruction to liberation. Still, not at all some instant ticket to hell, or anything like that. One could still practice the path as a lay person, and make a fair degree of progress.

In other words, same as any other marriage! haha!
I also haven't heard them say anything at all about homosexuality unless asked. I think they don't really much care, or don't want to talk about it.
~With Ninja and Everyone Together~

Return to “Lounge”