Self-restraint can make people angry: study

Anything goes (almost).

Self-restraint can make people angry: study

Postby tomamundsen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 am

Interesting, and relates to Buddhism - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... rom=sec434
tomamundsen

Re: Self-restraint can make people angry: study

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

It depends on what the motivation is when peforming actions of self restraint, If ones motivation is worldly and mundane then said results will follow.
Morale discipline is something to rejoice in and when held correctly by a mind it never leads to anything other then happiness ! :applause:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby muni » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

tomamundsen wrote:Interesting, and relates to Buddhism - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... rom=sec434

the idea to keep control, yes that is an exhausting job. People are so slave of ideas, turns not seldom in obsession. Anorexia for example.

Merely control (suppresion) emotion; spontanity get no chance, more neurosis.
muni

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm

That's the most seriously well researched, informative and scientifically based piece of reporting I've seen for a long time. If that journalist doesn't deserve the Pulitzer award for that incredibly detailed piece of journalism I don't know who does.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Yup - I'm sure much road rage is caused by pent-up feelings due to self-restraint.

I've even see this after group meditation or teaching sessions, and many parent know the old adage that a kid who is a saint at home is a demon at school, and vice versa, through having to hold it all in.

Of course, as Buddhists we have no self to restrain, a bit like having a dog lead and no dog. LOL :)

With self-indulgences, a little goes a long way. A small treat can stem larger cravings, unless of course we have eradicated them all.

Most cravings are bad for us as well as restraining ourselves from indulging them. If it is hard to deny ourselves the treats, we have an attachment or even a potential addiction. Best to eradicate the cause of the craving and need less self-restraint.
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby arisaema81 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Indeed repression is unhealthy. I think that the Lojong training is very useful here i.e. Tonglen and related slogans such as

" From three objects, the three poisons make three roots of virtue"
" When all the world, both animate and inanimate, is filled with evil, transform all adversity into the path of enlightenment"

If we train ourselves to recognise the poisons as they arise and use them to generate bodhichitta then we are utilising these situations positively. When we do/attempt this then we are not repressing our emotions but dealing with them in a very practical and down to earth way. Plus, it really works!! I was really surprised when I tried doing this in everyday situations but it really is excellent practical advice.
arisaema81

Postby catmoon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

I have to agree. There is basic difference between repression and the Buddhist approach. Repression might be useful in the short term, but it will go hard on the represser. Better to become the kind of person who no longer has anything to repress.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Lounge