Street party for the Royal Wedding

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KwanSeum

Street party for the Royal Wedding

Post by KwanSeum »

Thereโ€™s a link on the BBC about how to plan a street party for the Royal Wedding (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12431444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

There is absolutely no fu**ing way I will attend a Royal street party let alone plan one.

My personal view is that the monarchy as head of all things evil (eg, legalised inequality, the Church, Army, etc) should not be supported in any shape or form.

Discuss...
๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—น๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ญ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ธ (์Šค๋‹˜; ๅƒงไพถ) & ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ.
Rael

Re: Street party for the Royal Wedding

Post by Rael »

Speaking of royalty...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA51wyl- ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love Love Love
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

What a marvellous opportunity to heal one's aversion to royalty.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
plwk

Post by plwk »

What a marvellous opportunity to heal one's aversion to royalty.
Yup nothing more delightful than tuna scones and cheshire tea with Them...
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

KwanSeum wrote: My personal view is that the monarchy as head of all things evil (eg, legalised inequality, the Church, Army, etc) should not be supported in any shape or form.
:twothumbsup:

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

KwanSeum wrote:
My personal view is that the monarchy as head of all things evil (eg, legalised inequality, the Church, Army, etc) should not be supported in any shape or form.

Discuss...
They are really powerless to direct or rule anything of any importance. The nominal 'head of state' role should be abolished, but keep 'em on for the tourists and medical research.

They should just be regarded as an anachronistic bunch of inbred relics, at worst murderous, at best a source of comedy. (With compassion).

Tony Blair (more accurately written as Tony B Liar) was really the head of all things evil, and boy did he prove it. He is a much more worthy object for the practice of our compassion.
Left
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Yeshe wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:The nominal 'head of state' role should be abolished, but keep 'em on for the tourists...
Do you imagine that tourism would stop if Buckingham palace was turned into a museum?
๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—น๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ญ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ธ (์Šค๋‹˜; ๅƒงไพถ) & ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

There's also a new K*nt And The Gang song for the Royal Wedding on its way too...

http://www.b3ta.com/features/kuntroyalweddingvideo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

KwanSeum wrote:
Yeshe wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:The nominal 'head of state' role should be abolished, but keep 'em on for the tourists...
Do you imagine that tourism would stop if Buckingham palace was turned into a museum?
No, that's why I wrote:
''The nominal 'head of state' role should be abolished, but keep 'em on for the tourists and medical research.''

Hopefully, medical research would also benefit. :)
Left
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

KwanSeum wrote: There is absolutely no fu**ing way I will attend a Royal street party let alone plan one.

Discuss...
what if there was a royal celebration for the king and queen of the royal shakyamuni family?

would you "fu**ing way" attened that?
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Heruka wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:what if there was a royal celebration for the king and queen of the royal shakyamuni family?

would you "fu**ing way" attened that?
No
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

In his brilliant (and hilarious) study The Encyclopedia of Stupidity, Matthjis van Boxsel offers the best explanation of the objective need for useless royal families as pictures of sovereign in liberal democracy. You can infer it from the title of his book, but it's very much worth the read.

If you have the patience, go from there to Agamben's book Homo Sacer, which explains why the question of sovereignty matters more and more.

--wisacre comments from a friendly Yankee
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

i guess if you have no connection of thane and ring giver, then it wont make much sense.
it is an ancient connection and perhaps something to ponder over, even a buddha would know this.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I remember growing up as a child (of Greek migrants) in New Zealand that every morning at the Irish Catholic school I attended we used to sing the national anthem: "God save the Queen", whilst listening to the Sex Pistols "God save the Queen" in the afternoons on a local independent punk music station. Kindda psychedelic memories really!
:namaste:
untitled1.jpg
untitled1.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I think the level of hatred envy and sarcasm in this thread, and the absence of bodhicitta, is quite unworthy of anyone calling themselves a Buddhist. We are supposed to be about compassion and kindness. Remember?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

catmoon wrote:I think the level of hatred envy and sarcasm in this thread, and the absence of bodhicitta, is quite unworthy of anyone calling themselves a Buddhist. We are supposed to be about compassion and kindness. Remember?
What a party pooper! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

catmoon wrote:I think the level of hatred envy
What is hatred envy? Do you mean hatred and envy?

I don't hate Kate or William and fail to see how not wanting to celebrate their wedding is uncompassionate.

The values that I hold dear are compassion to all living beings which I interperate as pacifism/peace making, vegetarianism, and living simply and in harmony with those around me and the environment. The monarchy seems to he the antithesis to all this (shamelessly rich, head of the army (instigating war after war), meat eaters, avid hunters (see picture below), etc, etc, etc).

In my view supporting in any way such an dispassionate regime would be unfaithful to my values. What's more I've been anti-hunting, vegetarian and pacifist long before I was Buddhist. It's got nothing to do with my religion but a basic moral stance against an institution that is the apitimy of immorality.

Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

KwanSeum wrote:The monarchy seems to he the antithesis to all this (shamelessly rich, head of the army (instigating war after war), meat eaters, avid hunters (see picture below), etc, etc, etc).
The monarchy never instigated any wars - that's the job of the politicians - and many people are 'shamelessly rich' (all us who own computers, have access to a constant supply of electricity, and clean running water are rich compared with the 80% of the human population who live on less than 10 USD per day).

Also many people are also meat eaters (including some Buddhists), and I think hunting pheasant is preferable to factory farms where the animals are born and 'grown' in terrible conditions.

I'm vegetarian (mostly), I've served for many years in the army (not all soldiers eat baby's heads at NAAFI break; in fact I can recall many compassionate acts done by soldiers), and I'm no fan of the Royal Family.

But I think we need a bit of truth and balance here. I'm pretty sure the Royal Family have done some good too; I know the Queen takes her duties extremely seriously; she's not in control of her own life; she has a team of 'advisors' who fill her diary from morning to evening and I think you'll find - if you understood - that the majority of her life is a 'duty'; and not just drinking tea from posh china cups all day.
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Ken1969 wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:The monarchy seems to he the antithesis to all this (shamelessly rich, head of the army (instigating war after war), meat eaters, avid hunters (see picture below), etc, etc, etc).
But I think we need a bit of truth and balance here. I'm pretty sure the Royal Family have done some good too...
I'm not judging them at all but saying I don't wish to pubically celebrate them for reasons outlined earlier and more.
Ken1969 wrote:Also many people are also meat eaters (including some Buddhists), and I think hunting pheasant is preferable to factory farms where the animals are born and 'grown' in terrible conditions.
Are you suggesting that I should support hunting because it's better than factory farming? - I don't support meat eating or killing of any kind!
Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

KwanSeum wrote:I don't support meat eating or killing of any kind!
Neither do I - and I agree with you - I'm a big animal lover, whether they look cute or not. But we all indirectly support the killing of animals by using products with animal products in them. Even the plastics in that computer you use (I mean is that absolutely vital to you?) contains stearic acid, which is mostly gained from animal fats.

So it just seems strange to demonise the Royal family for acts that we're all guilty of, directly or indirectly, to a greater-or-lesser degree.

That's all; I'm not here to fight; I'm no fan of the Royal family - I don't believe they're a great tourist attraction and nor do I believe they perform any function that a good president (like the Irish president - a largely ceremonial role) could carry out just as effectively.

Return to โ€œLoungeโ€