How to deal with cockroaches ethically in the winter?

Anything goes (almost).

Re: How to deal with cockroaches ethically in the winter?

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I apologize in advance if my understanding differs vastly from the majority views on this board but is the kamma akusala if you intend to kill? If you relocate (which I did myself just this morning when my wife woke me up screaming that there was an NYC waterbug chilling at the foot of our bed) where's the harm? It's not your responsibility beyond that although it is nice that you're thinking ahead to provide for their welfare. I, myself, threw the guy into the garbage where I'm sure there's plenty to eat. Regardless, be well and I wish you the best. Mettaya.

Mike
Khalil Bodhi

Postby alasdairyee » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Luke wrote:I don't think destroying the eggs is ethical from a Buddhist point of view, since Buddhists believe life begins at conception.

Namo Amituofo! :oops: Pardon my lack of understanding and knowledge. Sorry and thank you for that! :D
alasdairyee

Postby Hanzze » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Luke,

we always have 5 to 7 big one in our kitchen. They are only up from 10 pm till morning. Those are quite amazing animals, did you ever observe them?

Just to get no zoo, it is good to close the gully and ways into the waste water pipes. Putting something on the gully at night. They also do not like light. And keep all real clean, so that they do not mix up with some smaller life you are nursing with dirt. So some clean pets, nothing more. You can make them a place to share food.
Dont kill them, they are carry the eggs on the body.

They are really nice!

_/\_
with loving kindness
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:38 pm

My partner got a camera donated so here are two of our currently 4 pets *smile*

Amazing beings, but if you look at there shields and horns there must be a lot of fear.

_/\_
with loving kindness
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby gyougan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm

One of the the very few benefits of living in a very cold climate like here is that there is no need to deal with this kind of problems.
gyougan

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Hanzze wrote:My partner got a camera donated so here are two of our currently 4 pets *smile*

Damn, those guys are BIG! German cockroaches aren't as large.

gyougan wrote:One of the the very few benefits of living in a very cold climate like here is that there is no need to deal with this kind of problems.

It's not so much about the climate outside as it is about the climate inside buildings. In Hungary, it can get pretty cold outside, but the problem is that cockroaches have made their homes in warm buildings during the winter.

UPDATE:
I've continued trapping cockroaches in jars. Some of them have died, but some of them are still alive. But if I had thrown them all outside, they would have all died.

I came home from a trip and found quite a few cockroaches upside down and dead on the floor. I suspect that someone has been fumigating while I was away without my knowledge. I expected this, so at least the cockroaches in the jars remain safe from poison.
Luke

Previous

Return to Lounge