We have mice but they have no food source because everything is in jars. they come in during the winter for warmth.
glue traps are inhumane as you learned spiritnoname. better to have killed them instantly when you could not get them off the trap, but maybe you could have with peanut butter rubbed into the glue. i use a humane trap and then take them at least 2 miles away so they won't return, and i let them loose where they can get food and water, like the river with lots of trash cans that some people don't really use very well. poison is not a humane way either as it causes them much suffering in that it is very painful. the live traps will work if you put cheese on it and make it stick so they have a hard time getting it loose. but then there is the possibility that you have caught a mom mouse, and if you take her away her babies will suffer in death. better to try to mouse proof your house by putting steel wood pads between the pipes and finding any hole that they have made and cover it up with wood putty or whatever. i had a mouse proof farm house until one day i saw some mice and learned that they had made a little moon shaped hole behind the refrigerator.
These poisons give the animal that eat them anything but a nice death. http://www.civicdirect.net/article/help-stop-suffering-caused-rat-poison
Rats and mice take an average of around 7 days to die after poisoning, and spend much of this time in severe pain. Anticoagulant poisons work by causing internal bleeding. They die paralysed and in pain, from blood loss and internal organ damage.