Help! Being sued !

Anything goes (almost).

Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:42 pm

If anyone knows a lawyer who can help in a financial law suit - I'm one of several million people who has become unemployed in the 2008 Depression. I owe a debt to a financial institution (credit card debt) that I tried to arrange terms on in January/February but these terms were rejected. Yesterday I got a notice saying that I had to pay in full by Dec 24 or so or face a lawsuit. Unfortunately I currently make between $400-$600/month tutoring (not including unemployment which will run out in two months or so). I simply can't pay the debt or pay what the financial institution wants me to pay monthly (it exceeds my income). Of course all of this is transpiring in the Capitalist Slaveproducing States of America.

Does anyone know of any legal assistance that I can address myself to?

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm

kirtu wrote:If anyone knows a lawyer who can help in a financial law suit - I'm one of several million people who has become unemployed in the 2008 Depression. I owe a debt to a financial institution (credit card debt) that I tried to arrange terms on in January/February but these terms were rejected. Yesterday I got a notice saying that I had to pay in full by Dec 24 or so or face a lawsuit. Unfortunately I currently make between $400-$600/month tutoring (not including unemployment which will run out in two months or so). I simply can't pay the debt or pay what the financial institution wants me to pay monthly (it exceeds my income). Of course all of this is transpiring in the Capitalist Slaveproducing States of America.

Does anyone know of any legal assistance that I can address myself to?

Thanks!

Kirt


I'm not sure if you are eligible, but Chapter 13 is worth checking out as it limits your repayments and spreads them out according to your income:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/B ... ter13.aspx

I Googled 'Personal Insolvency USA'. There may be other sources on the web.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Yeshe wrote:I'm not sure if you are eligible, but Chapter 13 is worth checking out as it limits your repayments and spreads them out according to your income:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/B ... ter13.aspx

I Googled 'Personal Insolvency USA'. There may be other sources on the web.


Thanks Yeshe - but this is bankruptcy (exactly what I am trying to avoid) and anyway credit card debt is not generally eligible for bankruptcy resolution (thanks to nearly all the Republicans and many conservative Democrats passing legislation to exempt credit card debt from bankruptcy proceedings just before the 2008 bank collapse and depression).

I want to pay the debt. I just cannot under the current circumstances and have tried to get a couple of years to pay it off (ironically had I not lost my job last year it would have been paid off) or they should wait until I have sold my condo - I have intended to pay the debt with those funds.

And if I declare bankruptcy then I really will be unemployable from that point forward.
Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 pm

kirtu wrote:
Yeshe wrote:I'm not sure if you are eligible, but Chapter 13 is worth checking out as it limits your repayments and spreads them out according to your income:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/B ... ter13.aspx

I Googled 'Personal Insolvency USA'. There may be other sources on the web.


Thanks Yeshe - but this is bankruptcy (exactly what I am trying to avoid) and anyway credit card debt is not generally eligible for bankruptcy resolution (thanks to nearly all the Republicans and many conservative Democrats passing legislation to exempt credit card debt from bankruptcy proceedings just before the 2008 bank collapse and depression).

I want to pay the debt. I just cannot under the current circumstances and have tried to get a couple of years to pay it off (ironically had I not lost my job last year it would have been paid off) or they should wait until I have sold my condo - I have intended to pay the debt with those funds.

And if I declare bankruptcy then I really will be unemployable from that point forward.
Kirt



Sorry you've got such limited options.

I'm in the UK where the voluntary bakrupty route is now a part routine life, and doesn't carry so much of a stigma. Also, if you are taken to court, you usually get an order to make reasonable payments according to your income.

Is there no way of taking out a loan secured against the condo, and using that loan to pay off the card debt?

I can empathise from my own experiences.

I'll include you in my prayers.

Good luck.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Yeshe wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Yeshe wrote:I'm not sure if you are eligible, but Chapter 13 is worth checking out as it limits your repayments and spreads them out according to your income:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/B ... ter13.aspx

I Googled 'Personal Insolvency USA'. There may be other sources on the web.


Thanks Yeshe - but this is bankruptcy (exactly what I am trying to avoid) and anyway credit card debt is not generally eligible for bankruptcy resolution (thanks to nearly all the Republicans and many conservative Democrats passing legislation to exempt credit card debt from bankruptcy proceedings just before the 2008 bank collapse and depression).

I want to pay the debt. I just cannot under the current circumstances and have tried to get a couple of years to pay it off (ironically had I not lost my job last year it would have been paid off) or they should wait until I have sold my condo - I have intended to pay the debt with those funds.

And if I declare bankruptcy then I really will be unemployable from that point forward.
Kirt



Sorry you've got such limited options.

I'm in the UK where the voluntary bakrupty route is now a part routine life, and doesn't carry so much of a stigma. Also, if you are taken to court, you usually get an order to make reasonable payments according to your income.

Is there no way of taking out a loan secured against the condo, and using that loan to pay off the card debt?

I can empathise from my own experiences.

I'll include you in my prayers.

Good luck.


Thanks - loan against the condo - no - I don't have any regular income. Even the tutoring is variable. I am currently earning at least 1/4 of what I did a year ago and 1/8 or less of what I did when I bought the condo (and my income went up after that). I am apt to loose the condo if I don't sell it within a few months and it is my only asset.

The main thing is to sell the condo and find / create work but the past year hasn't been encouraging. If you are unemployed in the past 2 years people assume that you are worthless (generally). And bankruptcy would be fatal for future employment apparently even during this 2008 Depression (of course US people usually don't like me talking like this to begin with so there are also social communication factors).

Do you know how tech work is in the UK? Are things looking up there?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:25 pm

kirtu wrote:
Do you know how tech work is in the UK? Are things looking up there?

Kirt



Not sure if that sector is bucking the trend but there are massive cuts to most government departments which will hit suppliers hard, and more will also become redundant and be looking for private sector jobs. Meanwhile the UK has to accept immigration from all other EU countries so they tend to make competition even harder.

Talk here is of a 'double dip' recession, with us now entering the second dip.

Both my daughters are in service industries and I've advised them to look for work in companies which have good business with India and China. India is especially good as of course there is no language barrier.

I hope you soon find something.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Mr. G » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Kirt,

I was once in very high debt when I was younger. I hired a lawyer who took my case and was able to cut the debt in half...and also keep the credit card companies at bay in the meantime. Perhaps you should speak to a lawyer who does debt negotiation.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:17 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Hi Kirt,

I was once in very high debt when I was younger. I hired a lawyer who took my case and was able to cut the debt in half...and also keep the credit card companies at bay in the meantime. Perhaps you should speak to a lawyer who does debt negotiation.


How do I find someone reliable? Do lawyers advertise debt negotiation services (the one time I needed a lawyer a good one was recommended to me by a reliable source).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Mr. G » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 pm

kirtu wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:Hi Kirt,

I was once in very high debt when I was younger. I hired a lawyer who took my case and was able to cut the debt in half...and also keep the credit card companies at bay in the meantime. Perhaps you should speak to a lawyer who does debt negotiation.


How do I find someone reliable? Do lawyers advertise debt negotiation services (the one time I needed a lawyer a good one was recommended to me by a reliable source).

Kirt


Personally, I looked online for a lawyer in my area. And yes, they should advertise debt negotiation services.

I would also recommend speaking to the lawyer that was recommended to you and ask for another recommendation regarding your current issue.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Tilopa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm

kirtu wrote:
Does anyone know of any legal assistance that I can address myself to?

Thanks!

Kirt



You can try this mantra for overcoming legal problems if you have faith in Tibetan buddhism and tantric magic:

OM NAMO BHAGAVATE / ARHATE SAMYAKSAM BUDDHAYA / TAYATA OM MUNI MUNI MAHA MUNI / RAKSHA SARVA PUSHTIM KURU SARVA TATAGATA / ADISHTANA ADISHTADE / NAMA SARVA RAKSHA RAKSHA SOHA
OM KATUM RAKSHA / OM KACHU SOTRA RAKSHA / OM NI WARA SANA RAKSHA / HARA HARA RAKSHA RAKSHA SOHA
TAYATA OM VAJRAPANI / MAMA RAKSHA RAKSHA / OM JODO KACHU MARAYA PHAT SAMAYA TU RAKSHA / HUM HUM PHAT PHAT SOHA
User avatar
Tilopa
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Ogyen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:05 am

If you would like the number of my lawyer, please pm me.

:heart:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
User avatar
Ogyen
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Indrajala » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:30 am

Sorry to hear about your legal woes.

So sad that the government will bail out a bunch of crooked bankers, but the common man is routinely kicked in the teeth during a global economic depression.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Nepal

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Nobody can take what you do not have, so what are your sorrows? Just laugh about riping Karma. The mantra is a good advice :-)
Fight, an other fight, more money, another fight... lose, win... fight...
Just that! :-)
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Hanzze wrote:Nobody can take what you do not have, so what are your sorrows? Just laugh about riping Karma. The mantra is a good advice :-)
Fight, an other fight, more money, another fight... lose, win... fight...


Yeah .... in the US they can take what you don't have - people are finding ways to recreate an actual slave class .... in my profession (software engineer) if I declare bankruptcy then I am basically unemployable moving forward. Secondly the US is imprisoning people for failure to repay debt (in effect reestablishing debtors prison) - we'll see how this progresses.

You are correct that this is ripening karma so since the best I can do is to be reborn in the Pure Lands after this is resolved I will become a total hermit in a social democracy benefiting their economy (easier for me to do mentally since I wasn't born in the US) - unless I can really get a plot of land and live on it unmolested.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Dear kirtu,

that means you could get a retreat for free? That is great!
Just that! :-)
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Hanzze wrote:Dear kirtu,

that means you could get a retreat for free? That is great!


Well that would be a positive way of looking at it .... but I'm not a great or even good person like our lamas that could turn imprisonment into a retreat .... and no not for free exactly .....

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:53 pm

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.


The lama do not have that luxury as you would have, you will have maybe a room with TV also. But dont wish for that, it could make a retreat just to wasted time :-)
Just that! :-)
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Kirtu, I'm so sorry for your woes. I filed chapter 13 about 7 years ago and it still haunts me. But it didn't leave me unemployable. The debt consolidation idea is great, they should be able to come up with a number you can pay every month too. You'll be in my prayers /\

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby justsit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi Kirt,
So sorry to hear about your problems. I contacted a friend who is a lawyer in
Baltimore, here's his reply.

"...I would suggest he contact the DC Bar, they have a referral service and could determine if he might qualify for pro bono assistance. Also, DC is awash with law schools and they each have different types of clinics, so he could check to see if there are any clinics that might be able to help -- Georgetown, George Washington, American and Catholic all have law school. With the semester break coming up, it might not work, but is worth a shot."

Hope there is something useful here.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, friend.
Best wishes,
Justsit
User avatar
justsit
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Help! Being sued !

Postby kirtu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 pm

justsit wrote:Hi Kirt,
So sorry to hear about your problems. I contacted a friend who is a lawyer in
Baltimore, here's his reply.
....

Hope there is something useful here.


Thanks very much!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4442
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD


Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], underthetree and 15 guests

>