Dancing with Women in Buddhist Temple

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Dancing with Women in Buddhist Temple

Post by Grigoris »

Thread locked for review.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thread unlocked.

Off-topic posts have been removed.

The topic of the thread is a discussion on the "validity" or "correctness" of dancing in a Buddhist temple.

Refer to http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... =0#p255833 and stay on topic please.

Thank you.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

alpha wrote:Here is a tibetan's perspective

His Holiness the Dalai Lama already mentioned many times in Tibetan language. Sometimes many western countries who are not familiar with Tibetan unique tradition in a deeper level. Sometimes they are having very hard time to understand our unique culture.
So, Here is my final conclusion.
For the Tibetan perspective Sogyal Rinpoche Dancing in the temple is absolutely wrong and insulting of our faith Because He has Title of RINPOCHE and we Tibetan respect him because of his title and we Tibetan do not dance inside the monastery.
But for western perspective I’m sure they will enjoy it.
Bottom line we are loosing our unique authentic tradition and culture in western society and we are mixing our unique tradition like a sex on the beach cocktail.
BUT WHO CARES! Now a days someTibetans are ready to do anything to please westerners! because dollars and EURO has lot of power and i don’t blame them.
have a wonderful good night.
-Lhaksam

http://www.lhaksam.com/dancing-for-living-and-dying/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm confident Lhaksam would have been very disappointed indeed to find the earliest forms of ganapuja practice, which involved sex in the temple.

Since we're speaking anecdotally here, from what I've seen, there is a wide spectrum of understanding and respect for Tibetan Buddhist norms of practice and protocol... among Tibetans. I've seen very serious practitioners, of course. I've also watched families spread out blankets on the floor at empowerments and create a kind of picnic for themselves, showing more interest in their Taco Bell than in paying attention (in one instance, some were ridiculing myself and some others for taking notes and not being subtle about it). I remember when HHDL 14 came to DC a few years back and gave a public talk in a park on capitol hill, there were many Tibetan families in attendance. Again, many were deeply respectful--and many were, well, not so much (just like the rest of the crowd). The Tibetan family in front of me had small children. One of them needed to use the restroom. Solution? Aim your daughter's butt into a plastic bag and encourage her to let loose... directly into the gaze of the Dalai Lama. What are the consequences of encouraging your children to poop at the Dalai Lama, from a Tibetan perspective?

I bring all this up because I'm skeptical that one Tibetan speaks for all Tibetans. Laksham's position is important, but it's not The Tibetan Perspective. There are clearly many Tibetan perspectives.
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

wow, the ladies in Rigpa sangha are really hawt :D
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I just want to draw everybone's attention to the fact that the guy dancing in the video (Sogyal Rinpoche) is a Tibetan, so quite obviously not all Tibetans agree with Lhaksam. ;)

Natan

Post by Natan »

Psst. Dancing fun. There's no such thing as a Buddhist temple. Temple is a Western thingy. In India dance is a form of offering. Shrines are out in the open and dancing happens there. If it's cold put a house around it. But let the dancing continue. Please leave your DAMN CHURCH clothes at home. Thanks.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.

Return to “Lounge”