“Self talk”?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Supermoon7

“Self talk”?

Post by Supermoon7 »

I was just thinking about re-reading a book I read years ago called "What to say when you talk to yourself". It's about telling positive things to oneself, not negative destructive things. Has anyone here read that book? Any thoughts? One feeling I had when I first read it was that by creating a conscious positive “self talk” dialogue in my mind somehow affirmed negative dialogues in my mind, and emphasised the conflict of trying to override them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
KathyLauren

Re: “Self talk”?

Post by KathyLauren »

There is potential value in positive self-talk if it replaces negative self-talk. Few people have that degree of self-control, though. Instead they pretend, perhaps even to themselves, that the negative self-talk isn't happening. That is not a recipe for progress. Voice of experience, here.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Hieros Gamos

Post by Hieros Gamos »

Not only self talk but posture, the expression on one's face, etc. Tantric approach - perceive, think, desire and act "as if".

:twothumbsup:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KeithBC wrote:There is potential value in positive self-talk if it replaces negative self-talk.
Yep, and encouraging it is a fairly common strategy in popular-psychology/self-help/new-age circles. One variant which was a fad on FB recently was "3 positive things for 5 positive days" but there are lots of others. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmations_(New_Age) for an overview of another variety and google "affirmations" to find lots more.
And they do all make a difference - to the degree that you can maintain the practice. So, of course, do yoga, meditation, tai chi ... you get the idea.

:namaste:
Kim
Einsicht

Post by Einsicht »

I know the book and the techniques of positive self talk. A bulk of the self-help industry uses it. For sure it can help sometimes but it also can be harmful! Buddha teaches that is is important to accept. If you won't accept things the way they are and will tell yourself over and over again that it should be different in the future....what will happen if nothings change? You become sad and frustrated. Of course you should be goal oriented but you also should accept the now and stop permanent thinking in your head...
plwk

Post by plwk »

I have been telling myself for years to get off forums and stop posting... :rolleye:
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Try to recognize, how it was, as that self talk wasn't there yet?

Another way would probably be to classify those thoughts as harm, and not letting yourself harm yourself.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

Return to “Lounge”